Poll

What is your stance on the future of FeralHeart?

I'm okay if the game shuts down
16 (26.7%)
I'm not sure what I want
10 (16.7%)
I believe we can bring the game back to life
34 (56.7%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: The mixed future of FeralHeart  (Read 5639 times)

wolfdog01

Re: The mixed future of FeralHeart
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2019, 03:37:05 am »
Love how civil everyone is being. Thanks ya'll.

Edited the old post for typos and a couple of minor details.

Offline Azon

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 01:05:42 am »

•   The 2019 up-roar.
I'm not exactly sure what to call this one, but you should all know what I mean. This specific drama was created between "old staff" (the staff that left during No Mod October), and the "new staff" (the staff that were recruited after No Mod October), along with some influential members of the community who sided more with the "new staff" and their situations/experiences, rather than the "old staff". Just oof. This scared people off for sure. Long-term and short-term.

Even though FH has gone through a rough patch after rough patch, I still believe that with the right staff team the game could be brought back to life. But I don't feel confident enough with that at the moment, hence one of the reasons why I decided to reduce my activity around here to almost non-existence. But, I found this topic pretty interesting.
[/quote]

I agree completely with your statements Bawfle! I believe the removal of general and all these events killed off some of the community. The events as of late,  I believe they split the community entirely. Some felt fed up and others felt the need to stay. I think the community can come together to work together to make the community better! I believe the community has also become very closed due to I would like to call Classic Feral Heart. This I believe is because from 2011-2013 was when general died, and I would call Classic Feral Heart. General Chats removal was what made many members leave. It also was when most original players decided to stay or leave. They were the years where the game was the MOST active. While from 2014 and 2015 were the more stagnant years, due to the transition of the games community. New players joined but didn’t know much about the game before they joined and sort of made it a bit different. I feel that the community did shut down themselves a bit more from newer community members.
In my personal opinion I believe the new maps made people upset because of the way they were made. I do not think the new maps are inferior to the old maps. I believe it is the settings and the textures. Instead of being the default some of the textures tend to stick out. I believe they should of been made using all the meshes and textures the game has by default, so that it could of blended in better with the game. However with the source code being figured out and now able to be altered this is a whole new situation. Instead of replacing we could ADD to the game. If the game can be updated to add more to the character models and maybe add more animals it can change the game for the better.
 The game before the discovery of the Source Code was looking bleak. Before the events of 2019 people were excited for the possibilities of the source code. If instead of holding grudges we look past and actually learn from the mistakes of before and change the way the community is shut off by being old and new players together this game can improve.
I would like to try to make a contest that involves recruiting new players to the game and making the community diverse again. I believe with the right advertising the game has a bright future.

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 03:53:52 am »
i would honestly be pretty accepting if the game ever shut down. might be 8 long years down the drain but hey everything has an end.

on the other hand i do believe the game has potential to become something bigger but it can only grow in size so much. a lot of kids have moved on to other places like discord to roleplay and hang out. however this game can thrive as an old title with a niche but tight community pretty well. but if something has to happen to the life of the game, it could be for the best.

Offline Telluric

• the future is bulletproof, the aftermath is secondary, it's time to do it now and do it loud, killjoys? make some noise!
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 78
  • -cue live studio audience groan
    • telluricdog
    • artelluric
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 04:09:37 am »
i personally would be real damn sad if fh 1. didn't live to see it's 10th year and 2. went down.. ever, really.
it's pretty much the only game of it's kind. all other it servers have rules about dual accounts, you have to hunt for items which- god. questing in them gets tedious after years prior of other games and farming for the Perfect Outfit.purple heart quest in dd, i'm lookin' at you. and like. it's one of the only games i know of that doesn't get 5,258 ogre crashes a second. the shader mods, custom splash screens, everything you can do to make your fh unique doesn't transfer to any other games, what head honcho says goes.

plus, if you aren't a grounds traipser at the hour i'm posting this, it's a really good rp hub for all my friends. as mentioned above, other games similar are either strict on rules/getting items or are just too wacked-out for a lot of people i hang with to comfortably play.

yeees i see how selfish this looks but i know there's other groups out there who get together and rp, not just actual, sanctioned groups but parties of pals who wanna get on and have a good rp session that's a little more.. visible than a discord server. there's something very different from just. rping on discord v. fh/any game rly. even if it's just low-textured wolf models.

ion't want fh to go down. i don't wanna watch it die and i know if it does, i'll take my time with making my peace about it.
for now? i'll keep logging in and doing what i do. showing up to events when they're announced. being a fan. that's that.
they say the world is endin'

well maybe it's about time!
don't ask about the yellow flower
see you, space cowboy..

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2019, 09:35:20 am »
hunt for items which- god. questing in them gets tedious after years
Don't forget that if you're dedicated enough you hide URLs in custom map packs that require certain path choices to download custom items (make you own quests) in map maker in FH.  Hard to do that in other games.
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"

Offline blondie24

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2019, 08:11:52 pm »
Hello everyone,

So after almost 7 years, two days ago somehow Feralheart came to my mind while sitting before my laptop. I downloaded the game just to realise everything has changed. I was so lost I asked the first person I saw on the map about what had happened to the game. They told me about the update and so and at first I was sad and shocked. But now, I feel nostalgic anyway. I've read through the forum topics about the happenings of the last years, and I feel happiness that I came back to the game! Of course I miss the old maps, but the new ones look great in my opinion, they are detailed and vivid. If the maps were so populated like before, I think it would not matter the old maps don't exist anymore. Then again, it makes me feel so sad finishing the game may be taken to consideration. I'm sad there are such a few players are online, I remember the good ol' days when Bonfire crashed all the time!  ;D ;D Dramatic TLK roleplays continuously for example... Awesome days! Now, I'm 24 and I want to stay with the game, I want to spend some of my freetime taking part in roleplays, making online friends! Yes, I was a TLK roleplayer before, and I wish there was a huge Lion King roleplaying once again! I wish we could make the game popular... Personally, I quietted the game years ago because of school but I wish I had stayed! We need to find a solution to bring back life to this awesome game. I hope FeralHeart will not end in the near future and I will meet you in the game.  ;) ;)

Offline peachesxo

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • just peachy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2019, 05:28:11 pm »
I've been a member of this game since 2012. That's 7 years - wow, I feel old. This game is definently a huge form of nostalgia for me. Whenever I used to play when I was younger, I'd get up extra early just to hop on FH before the servers got too full; anyone else remember that? I've met people I'm still friends with now, and some old friends I still think about from time to time. I think this game has a wonderful sense of community and enough members who are eager enough to keep it alive to do something, to push the game in the right direction, but if we keep letting it go on how it is now, it's only a matter of time before the game dies out for good.

The new maps are nice, all the extra bits and changes that the staff has made to the game have been wonderful, but they're not enough.You can change the aesthetics of a game all you want, but they're forgetting to use FeralHeart's biggest strength to their advantage - community.

I think registration needs to be open, always. This game isn't as popular as it used to be and less and less people know about it. It's mostly in the minds of nostalgic, young adults like me, and I'm sure, a lot of you. We need to bring in new kitties, young roleplayers like how we used to be, get the name back out there again and make FeralHeart known again. Doing so might even bring back more Veteran members, too.

Bringing back General Chat wouldn't hurt, either. Again, the staff should bank off the community atmosphere, and you can't have a community without communication. I understand the point of this game is to roleplay, but sometimes, people just want to chat with one another. General Chat was how I met my best friend of 6 years now. If spam was the problem there, then we need more supervision in the chats. No matter the game, if there's a chat box, there's spam. I hear the argument that General Chat was too broad of a chat, that everything got too muddled together; a General Chat for, well, chatting, and an Advertisement Chat for roleplays. Movie is frustrating to use, and never enough room to communicate your ideas to other people. It's made advertising hard and kind of frustrating. The two chats would allow people to toggle in between and turn off the fast-moving General Chat to focus on local, group, or ad making. Bringing back this feature may even allow for some mire Veterans to return.

Again, I don't think FeralHeart will die, but I think it's hanging on a string right now. If the handful of people who still care about and love this game act soon, we might be able to breath some life back into the game.

Offline Oddonelynx

• Tuesday is applesauce day, but I am also a Jovial Bobcat!(Not lynx)
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 110
  • Hyenas deserve less hate.
    • BOTOFan
    • channel/UC5lDa5s7GLRWQHoH70ne34Q
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2019, 10:28:55 pm »
It's been sitting in my mind well, I keep thinking of an update for Feral Heart called "Bringing the OG Feral Heart back"
And it would include bringing all the old maps back and even general chat back.

Art by QuietMacaroni

Offline Telluric

• the future is bulletproof, the aftermath is secondary, it's time to do it now and do it loud, killjoys? make some noise!
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 78
  • -cue live studio audience groan
    • telluricdog
    • artelluric
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2019, 11:41:31 pm »
It's been sitting in my mind well, I keep thinking of an update for Feral Heart called "Bringing the OG Feral Heart back"
And it would include bringing all the old maps back and even general chat back.

discussions of both those things have been tirelessly repeated by numerous players/ex players, and raz has stated a firm "no" on both for every time it's been brought to him that i'm aware of. staff have mixed opinions but head honcho is head honcho and his word goes.
not trying to be rude here, but there isn't anything too deep to garner from that other than this update idea, while it has been held pretty high regard amongst us floofs, probably will never see the light of day, let alone be planned at all.
they say the world is endin'

well maybe it's about time!
don't ask about the yellow flower
see you, space cowboy..

SpicyDirt

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2019, 12:16:59 am »
I would be pretty upset if the game died off completely.

I think many can say this with me - many friendships have been created through this game. There are people on here that I am extremely glad that I met (Warspite/EtchTehWolf, AmaltheaArts, Ellen, The Cowboy, etc.). Yeah, many of my friends don't play as much anymore, but that doesn't mean that I still don't check up on them every once in a while. I am so glad that I met these people and that wouldn't have happened if this game wasn't a thing.

This brings me onto my next topic - even though there are not many players, there are still quite a few people that are currently joining, and I think that they should have the same opportunities that all of us from 2011-2013 had. They should be able to make lasting friendships in this game. They should be able to enjoy the game as we once enjoyed the old maps of Feral Heart. And they should be able to bring new life to the game as their love for it grows just as we did when it was starting out.

Lastly, this game has helped so many people through things that I think it would be a real shame if the game shut down and so did the people along with it. This game has helped so many people through hard times, I included. People have discovered things about themselves because of this game - and that is an awesome thing. I believe that this game has allowed people to blossom in their lives because they were able to blossom on this game - and they felt comfortable.

It would be a real shame if this game shut down - but I think it would be more of a shame if the community shut down along with it.