Author Topic: Is Feral Heart dying?  (Read 17972 times)

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
Re: Is Feral Heart dying?
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 03:18:21 am »
No not really, i watch player stat's online.  For a long time the average would dwindle by a few players every week, after update some never came back, others came back from long absence and the numbers have been boosted very slightly.  More or less the same now.  Players come, players go.  Some i wish had stayed but they have things to do in their life that doesn't involve being a CGI animal. *shrug*
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"

Offline Rostova

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
    • BurrBoi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 04:35:42 am »
I wouldn't say dying.

And ive been here since 2012 (possibly 2011?).

Sure, there's been a slight decrease in players because of the login page. But the new update drew in a ton of new and old players, even though some left because they didn't like the change that was made to the game. But the most people ever on the forum was the day after the update came out, that says something.

So to conclude, its not dying in my opinion.

Lights and streetlamps flicker in the snow

Offline Siarczek

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 31
  • Friendly Neighborhood Environmental Scientist
    • siarczek
    • siarczek-art
    • siarczki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 08:05:02 am »
I don't think FH is dying, but I do think a lot of active members were lost after the new login page was made. Also, I'm sure a lot of FH members who have been playing the game for a long time are older now and don't have as much time as they used to. (Like myself. I was in middle school when I first joined FH. I'm in college now, so I don't have the same kind of time as I used to and I tend to be inactive in-game except during breaks)

OCs | Art | [url=https://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=62880.n

Offline parlydogs22

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Hey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 03:41:45 pm »
Feral heart isn't dying, due to 200 - 300+ Players is mostly people are playing it in the morning. And it will live forever and ever. :)
Planet Earth turns slowly....

Offline [Vengeance]

• Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • 𝔞𝔤𝔯𝔢𝔢 𝔱𝔬 𝔡𝔦𝔰𝔞𝔤𝔯𝔢𝔢
    • FiendOfVengeance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 07:27:31 pm »
I honestly don't know what to say in this situation. My opinion on this wavers. I would say a lot inactivity has to do with the new login, or people getting bored, or just are not really connected with the community anymore.
𝔞𝔯𝔱 𝔟𝔶 𝔪𝔢

Offline DarkLustyHumor

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 09:14:45 pm »
Although it's true that Feral Heart isn't as active as it once was I've seen an increase in users playing since the update. A record had been set since the update with I believe 600 something members playing at once and I have noticed the increase as well. I believe a lot of it involves the time of day (Feral Heart is around the world and with so many time zones it's not going to be a constant number) I have a feeling that Feral Heart is slowly going to grow once again to its former glory, it just needs time and I do agree that ads for Feral Heart might be of help, but unfortunately something like that most likely wont happen because it costs money to advertise.

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2016, 10:49:00 pm »
i'm gonna be honest here. the reason that there's much less people online is because of the login page and the registration.

before the registration was limited, this game used to have a ton of people online (like 600-1000 players at peak days) and many new players came in every day. the server couldn't even handle all the connections. back when FH was in diapers, it was common to get "bad tokens" because of all the players overcrowding the maps. this is why you first start in an empty map and why the registration only opens occasionally for an hour a day. now since the game is closed due to a site and (possible) server refurbish, no one new can get in at all. now people have to wait longer, and people get hopeless, so they lose interest. according the the main forum page, there hasn't been a new registration since the 15th of june.

now about the login page, tbh it's a huge flaw that can turn off a player. it's tedious to keep it up in a working browser, especially when you have a weak computer. it also randomly disconnects you every 30-60 minutes, which interrupts roleplays and convos. it really takes a big chunk out of the energy and activity of the community. i know it's said to be for the better but it's still a big problem that keeps you from playing the game properly.

FH hasn't had a real big update since late 2011, and seeing the same thing over and over again will make players turn away. sure, there has been a recent small update that gives the game some life, and it made me personally come back into the game again. however, it's more of a modification than an update, and what people want to see is upgraded graphics and new features. despite the appealing new maps, music and moonwalk action, this game is still the same as it has been for years. many players want more out of the game than just some maps replacing the ancient ones, but atm it's impossible to give the game some big changes because the main developer with the source code is gone.

i don't think FH is exactly dying, but it's clearly explainable why the most amount of players i've seen online these days is about 500. there used to be so much more activity in the game, now i don't see a lot of it like i used to and it upsets me.

Offline RisingDemise

• Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • I'm a part of too many fandoms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2016, 11:56:21 pm »
I've played FeralHeart for quite a long time... however, I have to say, it used to be very active. I think the lack of activity was the lack of belief in updates. When this game updated, I was SHOCKED. So shocked, it was overwhelming. Now that the game has updated I've seen a slight increase in people. For people like me, who are used to the old maps, I'm completely lost in the new ones, and it seems even harder to recruit than ever before. I have no idea where to recruit, and other groups seem to always have the spotlight. The update... well, while it might have made a lot of people join, it kinda... well, I don't mean to offend anyone's efforts, but... it turned me away. I enjoy the forums because I seem to be noticed. Maybe it's just because I'm extremely shy, but it seems like in the game, recruiting or just talking, it seems... hard now. New areas, plenty of places for dens, but I can't find the inspiration to roleplay.

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2016, 12:16:18 am »
Yes and no.

Feralheart isn't dead by any means. It still has an active playerbase and there's never a time when no players are on. But, it will never reach its peak of popularity again IMO, which was probably around 2012/2013/2014? I wasn't a member before 2012, so I can't tell if it was fairly populated or not before that. But the game has definitely slowed down a bit? The community isn't AS lively and populated as it once was, and I haven't seen more than maybe 800-900 people online in-game for a long, long time.

Sure, we did break a record the day the new update was released, but that number of people hasn't been on consistently. I'm not quite sure what the average number of people online in-game is after the update so honestly most of this is just based off of what I personally have seen in-game and on the forum, but it doesn't seem to be near what it has been in the past, and the forum is fairly slow these days too. I have to mostly agree with WolfQueen here---between the hacking event, the plain lack of actual game updates (which I understand is impossible to do, but is still definitely something that turns some people away), the new game revamp (which did bring a lot of people back, but also made a lot of people leave), registration, and especially the login system, there's definitely been a decline in members. And though some of those didn't personally annoy me (like the revamp which I quite enjoy and such), it did annoy a lot of other people. And I'm not saying that things like the registration and login tab and everything were bad, but that's just what I've noticed has made a lot of players leave.

Basically, to sum up this messy ramble: Feralheart isn't dead or dying, but its not as active and lively as it once was and I don't think it ever will be unless some sort of miracle happens and Kov returns and gives frequent game updates or something. And honestly, I can't say I dislike the smaller amount of members. Much more peaceful and a lot less drama. But ehh, this is just my opinion. I just can't claim that the game hasn't seen a small decline at all---though the revamp has definitely made a lot of people come back, so hopefully with more frequent (not 'frequent' as in like every week, but at least maybe seasonal or something) updates/revamps more and more people will keep coming back to play, and Feralheart seems to be getting a bit more popular again already, so really all I can say is just that hopefully Feralheart will pick back up again in the future.

Dragonr1der1

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2016, 05:58:20 pm »
I wouldn't say it is dieing, just going through metamorphosis. Though the influx of new users have been huge on the forums. Once people are able to make accounts for the game. We will see more people join.