Author Topic: [Community] Player Feedback  (Read 12006 times)

Ironic

Re: [Community] Player Feedback
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 10:14:43 pm »
Well my concern is...

New members - When a new member register and makes a thread/comment, they have to wait for the staff to approve their message. I remember doing this at the time, and I was pretty annoyed by it, which I understand if it drives people away. I think the approval post should be removed. If the user posts happens to be bad, then this why we have staff to give the appropriate punishment. Otherwise, I think that's heading the wrong direction.

This is one of my feedbacks...I am not sure if I am doing this right :nervous_laugh:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 10:29:02 pm by Ironic »

Offline PanzerWulff

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 30
  • GsxrWulff
    • LethalChill
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2021, 10:32:43 pm »
Well my concern is...

New members - When a new member register and makes a thread/comment, they have to wait for the staff to approve their message. I remember doing this at the time, and I was pretty annoyed by it, which I understand if it drives people away. I just think the approval post should be removed. If the user posts happens to be bad, then this why we have staff to given the appropriate punishment. Otherwise, I think that's heading the wrong direction.

This is one of my feedbacks...I am not sure if I am doing this right :nervous_laugh:

I agree, but I do understand why it's there though as it's most likely to stop the likes of new users or "fakes" and "trolls" creating an account and just spamming forums with absolute nonsense, so that way with the message approval system the MODS can choose wether to accept or delete messages and spare the community from any rubbish they would have said. 

Offline Bloo.

• Space-Child ✌
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 191
  • nyoom
    • Bloopaloozer
    • Bloopalooza FH
    • aLittleProzium
    • Bloopalooza
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 10:37:29 pm »
Well my concern is...

New members - When a new member register and makes a thread/comment, they have to wait for the staff to approve their message. I remember doing this at the time, and I was pretty annoyed by it, which I understand if it drives people away. I just think the approval post should be removed. If the user posts happens to be bad, then this why we have staff to given the appropriate punishment. Otherwise, I think that's heading the wrong direction.

I agree, but I do understand why it's there though as it's most likely to stop the likes of new users or "fakes" and "trolls" creating an account and just spamming forums with absolute nonsense, so that way with the message approval system the MODS can choose wether to accept or delete messages and spare the community from any rubbish they would have said. 
Exactly that ^^ A number of popular forum sites use this same strategy to prevent spammers and trollers from going bananas lol I know it can be a hassle, although I definitely agree that at least the minimum number of posts to be approved before not having to go through that anymore could be reduced!

You are amazing <3

Ironic

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2021, 10:39:36 pm »
Well my concern is...

Oh, I totally understand why it was applied to the system..I guess I just felt bad for the users in the Game Help section since I know they don't want to wait for a staff to approve their post...I just know they want to receive feedback quickly, so they hope onto the game. Perhaps certain boards can have the approval system? For example:

No approve:
-Forum games
-Game Help/Site Help

Approval:
Whatever else is left in the forum

Offline Bloo.

• Space-Child ✌
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 191
  • nyoom
    • Bloopaloozer
    • Bloopalooza FH
    • aLittleProzium
    • Bloopalooza
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2021, 10:43:16 pm »
Well my concern is...

Oh, I totally understand why it was applied to the system..I guess I just felt bad for the users in the Game Help section since I know they don't want to wait for a staff to approve their post...I just know they want to receive feedback quickly, so they hope onto the game. Perhaps certain boards can have the approval system? For example:

No approve:
-Forum games
-Game Help/Site Help

Approval:

Oooh I quite like that idea actually! It's only a couple of boards we'd have to keep an eye on for potential spammers/trollers as opposed to the entire site, though it still allows new members to participate with the community via forum games and get quicker help thread responses c:

You are amazing <3

Ironic

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2021, 10:44:46 pm »
Well my concern is...

No approve:
-Forum games
-Game Help/Site Help

Approval:

Oooh I quite like that idea actually! It's only a couple of boards we'd have to keep an eye on for potential spammers/trollers as opposed to the entire site, though it still allows new members to participate with the community via forum games and get quicker help thread responses c:
I'm glad you think so,too, Bloo! Thank you so much for the feedback!

Offline PanzerWulff

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 30
  • GsxrWulff
    • LethalChill
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2021, 10:57:47 pm »
Well my concern is...

No approve:
-Forum games
-Game Help/Site Help

Approval:

I'm glad you think so,too, Bloo! Thank you so much for the feedback!

Thats a very good idea actually, if only there wasn't any trolls/spammers then this wouldn't be an issue lol. But yep let new users have access to game help topics without permission 100% agreed.

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2021, 11:41:14 pm »
Well my concern is...

No approve:
-Forum games
-Game Help/Site Help

Approval:

I definitely agree with you that it's tedious for forum newcomers to wait for post approval. As fast as staff try to get pending posts approved, there's always going to be the scenario where a post can go unapproved for hours because the staff are all asleep, at work, etc. 25 posts is a lot, especially in the eyes of someone trying to make their first few. Too high of a number in my eyes. I think it could definitely use a decrease to maybe the first 10 posts instead -- enough to effectively filter through new accounts simply trying to spam or otherwise cause trouble, but not too high where forum newcomers get discouraged or frustrated. Thoughts on what it could be decreased to?
I also like your idea of excluding this mod approval feature from certain boards. The only downside I can see to this is that it simply defeats the purpose of having the feature on the forums at all, as any troublesome new accounts will just go to those specific boards. With careful discussion we could work around this. It would be limited to very few boards (I think your suggestions are reasonable), these boards wouldn't state "no mod post approval here", etc. These couple things are all I could think of off the top of my head, but the staff could get together and brainstorm for any more preventative measures. If worse comes to worse we do still have staff for a reason -- nothing we couldn't handle. This is definitely something to look into to help keep things rolling on the forums

The forum mod/game mod split. This has been suggested a number of times over the years. FH started with its staff team structured like this, but the team at the time quickly realized that it wasn't the most efficient way of structuring itself. The team has been set up how it is currently for most of FH's history. That is, every member of staff is highly educated in rule enforcement and other staff policies in both fields of FH (game and forum). No matter the issue that arises, or where it arises, the first available staffer is able to handle it independently and effectively. It is essential for booting troublemakers quickly to ensure the game and forum remain a safe, respectful place for all players
In this thread there is a recommended twist to this idea -- split mods keep both forum and game powers so they can handle a situation in the other field if necessary. This still limits the staff. A game mod won't be as educated in forum matters and vice versa. Sure, in practice this will stop rule breaking as soon as possible, but a staffer suddenly expected to handle a situation in a field they're uneducated in will quickly get overwhelmed. Their course of action may not be exactly what a mod educated in that field would do, forcing another staffer to reassess the situation at a later time and possibly reissue warnings and other consequences, etc. It would still cause work to be piled up and be unnecessarily inefficient. Why not simply educate a mod in both fields? That's what we've been doing for years. At that point it would be silly to train a mod with full powers/abilities/knowledge only to ask them to not regularly use half of it
We appreciate the feedback, but we will keep the staff team functioning as is. It's what we've found to work best for FH's niche and community

On a side note, a quick question for you all: what can the staff do to appear more approachable to the casual player?
Farewell everyone<3

Offline toonanimals317

• The Fandom Queen
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 48
  • What is grief, if not love persevering?
    • toonanimals317
    • randomnessandfandoms
    • Toonanimals
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2021, 11:52:25 pm »
I'm liking a lot of these suggestions so far! Something that I would like to bring up is how the staff team actually goes about getting new staff members. I would like to propose an actual application.

It could be made as a Google Form, so that you have to be signed in (traced back to your gmail, even if you didn't use that to sign up for the game), all of the questions would be required to be answered so nothing can be skipped. This would help get rid of the likelihood of the applications getting spammed/trolled.

I've heard before that the staff team is usually chosen via helpful and active people on the forums. In my opinion that doesn't give enough opportunity to people that might make good moderators. Just because someone is active and helpful on the forums and helpful doesn’t mean they’re fit to be a mod. Some people that are active in game and would make good mods might not be as active on the forums.

The application could include questions such as:
- Feralheart Username
- How long you've been a part of the community
- How active you are
- Do you currently have a job/school/work for other games that might hinder your activity some? If you work for other games/wip games, what games?
- Scenario Questions, example: you see two people fighting in game/on the forum - what do you do?
- Why they want to be a mod?
- What they can bring to the team
- What languages do you speak?
- Do you have other forms of contact other than FH/The Forum such as Discord, Skype, would you be willing to give your phone number, etc? (idk how staff communicate LOL)

etc.

This can help show if they'll actually be qualified for the staff position depending on their answers, and also the time and effort put into the application shows that they care about the position and really do want to be part of the staff/help further the game.

Other Accounts - ImTheHero, Wolfshadow317, & AgentWashington - Say hi!
Sig by CheetusPeepus on Tumblr, Profile Pic lines by AViciousFox on DeviantArt

My Presets!

Ironic

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2021, 12:18:36 am »
Well my concern is...

No approve:
-Forum games
-Game Help/Site Help

Approval:

I definitely agree with you that it's tedious for forum newcomers to wait for post approval. As fast as staff try to get pending posts approved, there's always going to be the scenario where a post can go unapproved for hours because the staff are all asleep, at work, etc. 25 posts is a lot, especially in the eyes of someone trying to make their first few. Too high of a number in my eyes. I think it could definitely use a decrease to maybe the first 10 posts instead -- enough to effectively filter through new accounts simply trying to spam or otherwise cause trouble, but not too high where forum newcomers get discouraged or frustrated. Thoughts on what it could be decreased to?
I also like your idea of excluding this mod approval feature from certain boards. The only downside I can see to this is that it simply defeats the purpose of having the feature on the forums at all, as any troublesome new accounts will just go to those specific boards. With careful discussion we could work around this. It would be limited to very few boards (I think your suggestions are reasonable), these boards wouldn't state "no mod post approval here", etc. These couple things are all I could think of off the top of my head, but the staff could get together and brainstorm for any more preventative measures. If worse comes to worse we do still have staff for a reason -- nothing we couldn't handle. This is definitely something to look into to help keep things rolling on the forums.
Thank you for that, Kerriki. ^^ I honestly think the maximum of 10 post is good start off, instead of 25. It would be a complete turnaround.
Or again, limiting the boards with approvals; both are still good advantage points, to lower the waiting time.

On a side note, a quick question for you all: what can the staff do to appear more approachable to the casual player?

Hm, this is a good question. Well, I would have said, approach them like any human being would approach someone. I mean, when people see staffs on the game, there's two feelings: Joy or fear. I would be consider one of the fearful person, as I don't want to be considered as 'annoying'. But I have happen to become a friend with a mod, and I can tell you it was and is the best experience.

I think staff should approach users with a general interest and a open minded spirit, a friendly attitude and just be their selves . If they want to discuss Feralheart, I guess Staff can open up and be hoenst, but of course, not give to much critical information. However, as someone who loves FeralHeart, majority of  community wants to interact with the staff. The first few lines of interacting is always hard, but once everything is crushed, I am sure it will be melt fast. Staff are humans, and not robots, and they have similar feelings just like us. Staff should approach us as humanly possible.

I sorry if this doesn't answer your question, and leaves everyone confused. X"D

I will like to add on what Toons said.

As I have been a member here for a short while, I have noticed a age pattern in the staff group. I have seen alot of ages between 20-28, which had me thing about the age requirements. So, we all know how the age requirements are 16+? If the staff looks for person of interest that isn't above 16+, wouldn't it make sense to change the age requirement? Like, to 18+ or up? That's my whole take.

And I'm not saying anyone can't be staffs at 16, it just something I have observed. Sorry if this offended anyone.

And for the applications, I can't make up my mind why staff haven't thought of this. Must be a good reason, I suppose.
Then again, as I was thinking, I guess Raz hasn't agreed to this type of system, so he just randomly picks people and see if they want it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 12:31:34 am by Ironic »