Author Topic: Is there a way to convert .object files into useable meshes?  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Aquillaflyer

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Struck by falling tree, initial encounter.
    • Aquillaflyer
    • View Profile
    • Breaking Day
Long story short, I've recently gotten back into map-making, and finding meshes can be a serious pain. The biggest roadblock I've run into on my quest, though, is not being able to find suitable meshes for the landscapes I want to create. Is there a way for an FH player to turn the .object files that come with maps into meshes they can put into their own maps?

I know what you're thinking: I'm trying to find an easy way to steal meshes. Not really the case, my plan is mostly gather meshes from maps I had in the past, along with public meshes that are no longer on the market for various reasons. Anyone who comes to see these maps could easily point out that the meshes are stolen, and if I'm honest, I don't feel like dealing with accusations of theft now or ever. Especially not if they're true. Seems like a whole lot of hassle that I don't have the energy to deal with.

I guess this idea comes from a little hypothesis I have, but since I don't know a thing about game design, I'm not sure if this is actually true. Those .object files are probably encrypted in some way or another. Are the models and textures somehow contained in this encrypted mess in order to make the objects properly show? Probably sounds dumb if I'm wrong, but I wonder if this is the case, and if there's a program that can decrypt them? Maybe I'm just being hopeful that I can actually get access to the meshes in my "can you help me find these meshes"-type-thread that I did forever ago, but I can't lie that I'm deeply curious about there potentially being programs that can recover useable map objects from .object files.
I have no clue what I'm doing with my life.

Offline BloodWinsAll

• G o d
  • Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 47
  • Feels like I'm going insane
    • Firesong-stormi
    • Firesong
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to convert .object files into useable meshes?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 02:28:57 am »
I'm not-- a mod so I won't get into the technicalities of taking .objs to meshes as I have no idea the rules regarding something like that.

I did do some digging into the process and so far, have not found anything reliable that I feel could plausibly do this for you. Also, based on my limited knowledge of how the .fho (which are the files that come with maps) files work-- I'm not sure you could do it anyways. Because it is, more often than not, a group of meshes, materials, and images compressed down into a file that the game can read on the back end.

I suppose it could be plausible to find something to work backward, but if you're looking at older .fhos from other maps-- I'm just not sure there's anything free. I actually found nothing on .object files and all sources stalked about .obj files which are not the same in FH I believe? It could be short-hand, but I had a hard time following the technical jargon. .Objects in FH act as "groups" for mesh packs that people convert or create, and the .fho is-- what the game reads to generate meshes into the maps you install.

If you want to look for up to date links that are working, I built a mesh list here that I update whenever I go searching for new meshes:
Complete Mesh List

On a side note, content creators remove meshes for several reasons, because they no longer want to share their work, because they don't like what they've done in the past, or because of changing morals (in the sense of converted meshes from copyrighted games). I would be very careful attempting to circumvent the inability to download some of these older meshes because the creators no longer offer them.

EDIT:
I've also looked at your "looking-for-meshes" thread and, although I did not see screenshots there I decided to look at the Map thread you were talking about. I can't be positive but it looks like:

The dark forest tees are:
https://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=57185.0

I believe they are the Spires of Arak pack, as I have those and that's what I can tell from the screenshots.

Desert stuff:
https://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=60503.0

I had a really hard time figuring out what exactly was in those screenshots, but they do look to be various WoW meshes. You can find all of them here, under Thierry's WoW section (second post). While the images are broken, I checked the link and it still works. I think it's the Silvermoon pack featuring the dead and burnt trees + others for the plants, maybe Arathi.

As for the rugs, it seems Mosa has removed those from both their dA and their FH thread.

I also can't see the ribs, but I'm assuming this is what you mean?:
https://www.deviantart.com/baconbutt/art/Ham-mesh-you-long-time-254424517

This is on Hammy's ProBoards and the images are broken but the links work fine. They should all also be labeled.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 03:25:25 am by BloodWinsAll »

Offline Aquillaflyer

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Struck by falling tree, initial encounter.
    • Aquillaflyer
    • View Profile
    • Breaking Day
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 04:38:38 pm »
Apparently I'm not smart, and I meant .fho files, the ones you find along with a map. I figured there'd be a way to convert them into usable objects somehow. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out, though.
I have no clue what I'm doing with my life.

Offline BloodWinsAll

• G o d
  • Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 47
  • Feels like I'm going insane
    • Firesong-stormi
    • Firesong
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 06:11:54 pm »
I’m glad I could help! Yeah, I’m pretty sure there’s nothing easy to use or free to convert .fhos and I’m not even sure that anything exists for that since it’s an Fh object. But, I’ll try to keep meshes updated on the mesh post and if you need anymore help finding meshes feel free to comment there!