Author Topic: Roleplaying in Party or Group  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
Roleplaying in Party or Group
« on: September 10, 2018, 07:31:04 pm »
I've noticed something.
Back in the old days of Feral Heart, most people would roleplay in local chat. Nowadays many people prefer to roleplay in
Party or Group.
I don't see too many people roleplaying in local as much as I used to. Why is that? I liked it better when people would roleplay in local chat, because I liked listening as their story was being told through roleplay. I understand some would roleplay in group or party if a map was overcrowded and busy (Bonfire Island), but it seemed local was more used in wide open maps (Fluorite Plains).

Do you prefer roleplaying in Party or Group compared to Local? Why?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 07:35:28 pm by Lady_Alizarin »
Inactive

Offline Ame88

• ❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄ Winter is a .' - ` , ' - . ` timeless ' , ` - '. ` , - ' . season. - ', - ` , ' - . ` , Everything ' , ` - . ' , ` . freezes. `_,_'_-_._`_,_-
  • Admin
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 216
  • Yeah I believe in Bigfoot. Nessi and Kovu too!
    • Ame88thewolf
    • View Profile
Re: Roleplaying in Party or Group
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 07:44:33 pm »
Ahh yes, the ol' party, local, or group question X3

Personally, I prefer RPing in local apposed to party or group just so everyone around can watch or join in if they want. I'm always open for people joining in~

As for RPing in party, it's very handy if there are people around and you don't want to bother. However, I do see often that party is used to not attract some newbies to the roleplay when you and your friend just want to have a fun RP with each other, or, to simply "keep local clean." I understand the reasoning behind not wanting to have a newer RPer try to jump in, because, how can you tell them nicely that you don't want to RP with them, or that how they RP just doesn't match up? It's a rather difficult thing to do to those kids who just want to join in.

For me personally, I don't like RPing in group chat X'3 Tat's just me pff. I like to see group chat as, well, your group's chat! A place where you and your group can chat with each other while either waiting your turn to post, watching the RP, or, just to chat =3

Profile picture by Telluric
Thank you ;u;
Bio | My Creations
Renegade Row | FeralHeart Resort

LonesomeRider

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 07:52:22 pm »
Personally, I prefer to rp in party/group/whisper! I will roleplay in local with certain characters if a couple close friends of mine start it off, or such, or if someone asks. My preference is only so I'm able to make larger posts if I'd prefer to do so, aha. It's a tendency when my usual for roleplay on here is WC or Overwatch. The times I do rp in local are just small little things, say my muse or my friend's caused havoc and wants to just explain it in a quick drabble to the other. Sometimes, the reason I do rp in private, is to prevent others from questioning or trying to barge in.

Flurr

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 08:07:29 pm »
Yep, there has been a change to the chat types in the past years! I remember when people used to talk in those chat types. I usually don't see many people chatting in the chat these days, either. I think it was better when it was in local and party, it just seemed easier for me! People probably chatted in flourite a lot back then since it was a big map, that's my guess.

I prefer party and local, if that's alright. Sometimes I do like party better because it could be a chat just with people you would like to talk to. It could also be with party a map, that people may be hanging out with friends, and etc. That's what I prefer!

Offline Kastilla

• my mind is a sieve for inspiration.
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 71
  • [ ] make time go faster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 08:56:23 pm »
Personally, I prefer local over everything else. Local is a good way to make things more realistic. For example, picture a large map. There are two packs, one camp is at one end and the other opposite to them. One pack is planning to attack the other, therefore chatting in their own respective camps keeps the secrecy (of course, this is arranged OOC, so it's not that secret. Maybe leaving the exact methods unknown.) As you all know, Local is literally the chats of those who are nearest to you. Just like real life, you can only hear those who are near you.

Group and Party is a combination of OOC and IC chats. Everything is omniscient, minimizing secrecy or wonder. Party chat, for me, is used for a group of four or less. Friends, casual chat or roleplay. A group, is for, well a group or a pack. A swell way to contact each other, for grouping up and what not. General within custom maps can be used the same way, as a form of announcement tool, as well. Groups can be purely cosmetic/placeholders (so you don't receive group requests, a group tag, or a rag-taggin' clan such as Modoru or Vicious and Delicious) and of course a family, which most of them are. It's a pack, pride, or gaggle after all!
stinky dog coming through, don't mind me!

Offline FlyingGrass

• ~🛠 The avant-garde doctor of mechanical beings. 🔧 🔬
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
    • FlyingGrass
    • channel/UCA7RfqQ1KLl4s8JhxIXNs_Q
    • View Profile
    • Mechanicafeles Discord link
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 09:12:38 pm »
When roleplaying, I prefer Party or Group chat, as I don't want to disturb Local if my character is rude or sadistic(I have many evil characters). In private chats, I feel free to portray my character in more detail even if my character is doing something rude or gruesome. If I'm in a custom map, then I use Local or General, unless my group is not alone in the custom map.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 10:28:08 pm by FlyingGrass »

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.

Offline Morqque

• A Positive Nihilist
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 123
  • In the shadow of the light from a black sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 10:37:00 pm »
I miss the days of people socializing and roleplaying in local. Chatting nowadays
seems unnaprochable.

Offline Kastilla

• my mind is a sieve for inspiration.
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 71
  • [ ] make time go faster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 11:30:54 pm »
I miss the days of people socializing and roleplaying in local. Chatting nowadays
seems unnaprochable.
Me too, morqque!
stinky dog coming through, don't mind me!

Offline Kahbloom

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 45
  • Happy Camper
    • Kahbloom
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 11:34:00 pm »
I noticed this, too! I thought that that was odd, like everyone suddenly switched to group & party chats. I, honestly, really dislike it. I used to like walking up to people & being able to kind of jump into role-play (if I asked politely OOC first before doing so!) Now, you can't really do that too much. One of the things I like about Feral-Heart is the "open world" aspect of it, & being able to walk up & talk to whoever. I thought it kept things interesting. Even when I was in a group, I enjoyed when people outside of that would randomly walk up & join in on the fun.

I guess, it's really not that big of a deal to me, to be honest. But if I had to choose party or group, I'd most likely choose group. Just because you can read along & know what's going on OOC, even if you're not role-playing yourself.
Please say hello if you see me in-game!
kahbloom.deviantart.com

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 11:56:40 pm »
Local, because hiding in party or group is weird.
What i noticed is people fear being judged in local now, why?  it's the internet, bad spelling & typos will abound.  I'm not worried.
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"