Author Topic: Is Roleplaying in Local Chat Frowned Upon? Since When?  (Read 5177 times)

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
Is Roleplaying in Local Chat Frowned Upon? Since When?
« on: December 06, 2019, 12:26:46 am »
It's been a long time since I've posted anything on this forum, but I gotta ask this since I've been dealing with this in the game itself.

Whenever me and some friends do some roleplaying in the public maps, especially the Grounds, some players have make objections or rude comments about it. They either tell us to roleplay in party/group chat, or go to a private map. We often times suggest they block us, but instead they'd rather harass us and make a fuss over it.

I'm sorry WHAT?!

Since when was roleplaying in Local chat a big deal, and since when did players start fussing about it? First, people complain that there are no roleplays going on in the game, yet when one comes up in Local Chat they want it to stop?! Many local chat roleplays went on in old Bonfire Island, and no one batted an eye. Same with Fluorite Plains. Now when a local chat roleplay is happening, people complain? What has this community come to?

Some players aren't into roleplay, and I get it. If it bothers you to see a roleplay going on in local you can do one of the following.

1.) Block the players temporarily
2.) Move away from their location
3.) Ignore it
4.) Turn off Local Chat

To me, harassing others for roleplaying in local could be discouraging other players, possibly driving them away from this game. Most of the time these players who complain about local chat roleplays are the same people who complain that nothing really happens in FH. Which way do you want it?
What are your thoughts on this?

Inactive

Offline Tanaman

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • If life is a memory...make it a good one.
    • View Profile
Re: Is Roleplaying in Local Chat Frowned Upon? Since When?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 12:49:03 am »
That’s just plain sad. You did literally nothing wrong. Feral heart is a MMORPG game. Old fh had a much better community who respected roleplays. Which is why i was driven from public maps and i spend  about 97% in private maps that i either build or download from DA. Also sidenote, cool choice on having the radio demon as your signature.

SpicyDirt

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 01:08:31 am »
It is sad to see that happening.

Since the update roleplaying has gone down in popularity in the game (it is still pretty common to find FH groups that roleplay mostly on Discord though) so often people are a bit taken back when they see that it is happening. I would say that if they continue to harass you then you should ignore them, take screenshots and see if the staff could take some action (if the harassment is getting to be a lot), and maybe even block them.

It is still saddening though that this is happening to you! This game got a lot of its players because of roleplaying and it is sad that the roleplay is declining and people are even finding it "annoying." This is supposed to be a very happy and accepting community and it is saddening to see this happening to you. I know that it probably is not worth too much, but I am sorry that this is happening to you and I hope that you do continue to roleplay without a care in the world.

Offline Oddonelynx

• Tuesday is applesauce day, but I am also a Jovial Bobcat!(Not lynx)
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 110
  • Hyenas deserve less hate.
    • BOTOFan
    • channel/UC5lDa5s7GLRWQHoH70ne34Q
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 01:40:24 am »
What meanies, FH has been a roleplay game from the start. They could just turn off the chat, or go to another map.

Art by QuietMacaroni

SpicyDirt

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 02:21:07 am »
I'm not gonna lie, and I know that I already posted, but this actually infuriates me. I am just so stunned that people would act that way to someone roleplaying. "Weirdos" "can you not please" Those are just two very rude statements that are not acceptable. It is just so sad that people are getting upset at people ROLEPLAYING in a ROLEPLAYING game. I am just absolutely stunned at all of this.

BirdieBeep

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 03:28:50 am »
I'm sorry this happened, it is a bit upsetting to see RP in local chat to become I guess 'frowned upon', it was very common place back in the old days, and not even just the old days, right when the 2016 update came out there was a lot of TLK people in that little pond area in TG. But the chat is a shared space and I'm sad to see that isn't respected.

Offline Telluric

• the future is bulletproof, the aftermath is secondary, it's time to do it now and do it loud, killjoys? make some noise!
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 78
  • -cue live studio audience groan
    • telluricdog
    • artelluric
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 04:08:40 am »
..Since when was roleplaying in Local chat a big deal, and since when did players start fussing about it? First, people complain that there are no roleplays going on in the game, yet when one comes up in Local Chat they want it to stop?! Many local chat roleplays went on in old Bonfire Island, and no one batted an eye. Same with Fluorite Plains. Now when a local chat roleplay is happening, people complain? What has this community come to?
/
..Most of the time these players who complain about local chat roleplays are the same people who complain that nothing really happens in FH. Which way do you want it?
What are your thoughts on this?

mostly want to highlight these here points.
i've gotten this a few times[and just by looking at the typing style of some of the jeers, i can wager a guess to who these people might be, in which case yeah, figures they'd be like that.]
but yeah, this has happened to my overwatch group plenty. people will go ahead and spout how chat is dead and the second we get in character and start interacting, they'll complain that we're annoying or say stuff along the lines of "can you move it to party? you're clogging up the chat." y'all who do that sort of stuff in the same breath, shame on you and knock it off.
some of us are here to have fun and naysayers don't affect us in the long run, but it's the spirit of the people who say that kind of thing that gets old fast. the spirit that says "i want everyone to cater to what i want to see in chat." the attitude that says "i'm entitled to control what the current topic of local is"

i have a question to raise to the people who whine about this sort of thing:
if we don't rp in local, it's dead. if we do, it's obnoxious and disruptive to a chat you can disable/block us.
what do you WANT local to be?

if you don't understand an rp, read some of the posts, get the gist of the characters and world or whisper one of the people who are rping- they might even offer you join them for pete's sake!
if you don't want them there, tough. there's plenty of other maps you can sit in silence in, after all, a lot of you debby downers are on about how the game is dead.
if there's simply nothing else going for you in your life, please for the love of god stop taking it out on people trying to enjoy some downtime with either friends or strangers. you don't want someone to start yelling at you at a coffee shop for ordering and drinking a peppermint hot chocolate. we don't wanna get yelled at for doing something we enjoy.

..i'm very tired of this happening, if you forumgoers couldn't tell.

in short: if you complain abt rpers in local: don't! : D
they say the world is endin'

well maybe it's about time!
don't ask about the yellow flower
see you, space cowboy..

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 05:59:18 am »
You’ve always been one to post interesting and thoughtful discussion topics and this one is no different. This whole topic you’ve brought up here is something I’ve noticed and been bothered by for a while myself.

Way back in Feral Heart’s early days I remember when roleplaying was extremely prevalent. Roleplaying in local was especially common, in fact that’s often how I joined roleplays and made friendships in the game. People roleplaying in local kept the chats active alive and interesting. Back then groups were more welcoming and people who weren’t even in the roleplay could often just jump right in simply cause the roleplay was being had openly in the local chat. If you weren’t in a mood to chat or roleplay it also gave you something to do by just sitting back and reading others’ fun roleplay adventures... a lot has changed. It just always seems like the Feral Heart of then and it’s community is very different to the one of now.

Now a large part of the roleplaying community has just gone or died off. A lot of the roleplay communitys’ death was thanks to the removal of general chat. Advertising lost its sense of ease and traction and with it changed the dynamic of the community and it’s “culture”. The game has become a lot less attractive for roleplayers and has become more of just a chat place. As a lot of the roleplayers “disappeared” it’s become far less common to new users and some old alike to see people roleplaying yet alone in general... so I can see why it seems unfamiliar and possibly “weird” to some who aren’t used to it.

I don’t think what was said to you there was very nice though... That kind of tone and attitude can really discourage others... I can only imagine a younger or more sensitive user dealing with that sort of reaction and taking it far less well. I don’t think these type of people really realize how much words like that can hurt a person and a community of users.

I agree that they could have taken a better approach if they didn’t like it and done as you said:

1.) Block the players temporarily
2.) Move away from their location
3.) Ignore it
4.) Turn off Local Chat

That’s the thing though, FH’s community has changed a lot. As years go by you get different sort of subcultures forming even in video games. Wherever there are groups of people of different ages and backgrounds interacting you’re going to get constant changes in the community. The simplest way to look at it is like meme culture and the coming and going of memes and or trends. FH itself and the subgroups of people and their interests in it are constantly subject to change... and while you have an ever changing community with a barely changing stagnant game you can start to see why conflicts begin.

The less of a roleplaying community we have, the less understanding and respect for it you have with newer and ever changing faces. It’s sort of like generations who grew up not having something and becoming adults who do not care for that something or show interest or understanding in it since they never really were exposed to it.

Then there’s the whole “cringe” culture thing now where some folks are especially comfortable making fun of or criticizing things they don’t understand or like.

It’s a pity really. If you or anyone else ever get harassed again though never hesitate to throw the screens and messages our way though. I do hope no one ever has a negative experience like this again. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with roleplaying in local especially if you’re not spamming the chat and being respectful about it.

Offline Ame88

• ❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄ Winter is a .' - ` , ' - . ` timeless ' , ` - '. ` , - ' . season. - ', - ` , ' - . ` , Everything ' , ` - . ' , ` . freezes. `_,_'_-_._`_,_-
  • Admin
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 216
  • Yeah I believe in Bigfoot. Nessi and Kovu too!
    • Ame88thewolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 09:54:58 am »
It's really sad to see but I come across it all the time, and honestly it's heartbreaking. As said before, there's nothing wrong with roleplaying in local whatsoever. I cannot agree more with what Sura has said already.

I remember when local had players roleplaying left and right, generally a group having so many players involved in the roleplay it was difficult to find an opening to start posting. Usually no matter where you went there was always activity, and it always felt so lively. Nowadays you're shunned for roleplaying in local or in certain areas, completely ignoring the fact that this is a roleplaying game. It's very unfortunate but I do hope to see that change in the future.

My best advice really when it comes to situations like this is to just ignore it, and or block the person who's making a fuss and keep doing you. As Sura said, if anyone ever runs across this again, never be afraid to shoot us a message about it =)

Profile picture by Telluric
Thank you ;u;
Bio | My Creations
Renegade Row | FeralHeart Resort

Offline Astraea

• ❤ Positivity ❤
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 186
  • previously esarosa
    • Esar0sa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 09:54:20 pm »
This is indeed saddening. I am not sure when this started. Role playing in local has never been an issue that I have personally witnessed and this makes me upset. The way it was said, and the context was disappointing and awful in my eyes. I hope the users who that was directed to still are able to after that. There is no reason to not be able to role play in local (except obvious rules), and this was not fair to them. I don't ever remember this happening! Though, likely stated - communities change, people change and the game changes. This is a huge factor in the situation and it can turn out in many ways for the games, etc.

Sura has stated a lot of good points and opinions I agree with in this scenario. Back in the day, local was the place to role play. Anywhere, really was. But nothing like this I have seen. As Sura mentioned, I hope this doesn't happen again and please speak up if it does! I hope to not see this happen again as it makes me very sad and disappointed.

They definitely could of done the following listed and it would have turned out peacefully and nicely. It's sad that this happened and I hope I don't see it again like I've said before :(.
not active here anymore ♡