Author Topic: Faulty terrain texture in old map  (Read 1281 times)

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
Faulty terrain texture in old map
« on: February 09, 2019, 07:43:32 pm »
Usually I can fix 1001 things FH related, but this issue seems to have me stumped.

I recently released a map of mine that is roughly 2 years old. I haven't had any issues with it in those 2 years I've had it, until now. The issue being the sand texture not working. Here's pretty much some time lapse of what happened:

- A couple days ago I sent the map to AlphaEclipse to just show her an old map I made. She was the first person to notice that a terrain texture was missing, so I gave her all the sand textures I had as I couldn't remember which one I used. I assumed it had been fixed because there was no confirmation it worked, but we were caught up in the map to even check that.

- Earlier today (before the terrain texture started being faulty) I took screenshots of the map ready for release. I could see the texture just fine.

- I later approached Ressy asking if she could test out the map because I have 3 sand textures in my textures folder that look similar but couldn't figure out which ones I used (lightbeachsand.jpg, darkYellowSand.jpg, and softSand.jpg). At this point I can still see the sand, but she had the same issue AlphaEclipse had and couldn't see any texure where the sand was meant to be.

- I joined her in the map, then suddenly I started having the same issue. Something that never happened in the 2 years I've had the map. The sand wouldn't show in Gawana Island, but it would show in Gawana cave. I logged off then joined back later and the sand wouldn't show in Gawana Cave either.

This doesn't seem to be a Rendering System issue, and the only thing I've done to the files are send them to people. I also can't go in and edit the terrain texture in the map maker either because I lost the files for that as they were lost when my previous PC broke down.

If anyone has had this issue before and knows how to fix it, that would be amazing.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 07:46:33 pm by Bawfle »

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

AlphaEclipse

Re: Faulty terrain texture in old map
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 04:18:59 am »
Bumping because this didn't get a ton of views and I'm curious to a possible solution!

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 04:47:52 am »
Have you tried re-exporting the map after you have all of the apparent texture files working in your map maker? The terrain texture files are stored in the .fhm so a re-export might do you some good in this instance.
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 03:48:14 pm »
This doesn't seem to be a Rendering System issue, and the only thing I've done to the files are send them to people. I also can't go in and edit the terrain texture in the map maker either because I lost the files for that as they were lost when my previous PC broke down.

If anyone has had this issue before and knows how to fix it, that would be amazing.

Sadly I can't do that, Morgra D:

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline Vilivikhorith

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • \n\n\n\n
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 04:46:45 pm »
This sounds like an issue inside the game's code somewhere or Ogre itself, where the texture fails to load. I'm not sure what the circumstances would have to be. Is there anything different about your installation since two years ago?