Author Topic: Presets on the Server?  (Read 70966 times)

Offline razmirz

• The Janitor (Please contact other members of staff if necessary they will escalate issues to me)
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 301
  • Soul Nomming Goodness
    • View Profile
Re: Presets on the Server?
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2011, 10:42:16 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:50:29 pm by Razmirz »
Please contact other members of staff if necessary they will escalate issues to me

Offline Aroxy

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2011, 10:55:26 pm »
Very well cleared up, Raz

TealSkeletore

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2011, 11:12:24 pm »
Guys I think you're all being a little bit too stubborn :P Paying for presets is just a FEW bucks compared to the hundreds (maybe thousands) of dollars that Razmirz is paying out of his OWN pocket just to keep the server up. Don't you want to help him? Be a little grateful!

Your preset is visible to everyone - in exchange for just a few bucks which will be helping to keep the server UP. Or would you rather FeralHeart be down again because of overload of presets, like it's down now(for a different reason)?

Another thing, this isn't available yet, but in an upcoming update, when you make a preset a file will appear that cannot be edited or changed. You put this file up for download on the forum and anyone who isn't lazy can just download it, and they won't be able to edit, or steal your preset because of this protected file. So you won't only be able to share it with your friends, but strangers as well!

So then, paying to have your preset on the server would just be so that your preset is visible those who are too lazy to go around downloading everyone's files.

Offline Life

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2011, 11:16:38 pm »
Honestly, I don't mind if we have to pay or not. I mean, it seems quite fair as the preset takes up more memory than a character that you've made in the customization part of the game. And the fact is, you can still send the preset as a download to your friends so they can see it. Not everyone HAS to see it.(It's like you really want to show off.But don't bash me, I understand how it feels to be proud of hard work and to want to show it and all.) But 3 or 4 dollars is not that bad. Though, (As I don't have paypal,job,or money to use for this.) I'll just send it to my friends and stuff..No big deal really. Or, as the markings are so awesome in the built-in customization, I will just make my Oc or fursona out of that till I am able to support the game by paying the money to have the preset show-able to others.(Anyway, sorry if the post makes no sense. I tend to not make any sense anyway.)

But I do have a question that might make me sound dense...But.. Would we have to pay to just see our presets, or just to pay so others can?(Really sorry for being a baka, but I need to clarify this) Also, if you do use your preset while others cannot see it, then what will the character look like to the ones who cannot see it?(Which includes mods, and people who I did not send the preset to.)

Offline dharma

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2011, 11:19:59 pm »
Teal, that's amazing. My preset isn't good enough for anyone to steal, but this will definitely address the concerns of people who make epic presets.

Here's a really crazy and far-fetched idea that probably isn't possible or feasible, but I'm bored, so here it goes:

Have people download the presets from each other, from their IP rather than having the server as a middle-man. It would be much like bittorrent where people get the file from each other and not a server, or like IM clients that have file sharing. Upon connecting to the server, your client checks the users, and if it sees one that has a preset you do not have yet, it will download their presets straight from their IP. This would only be one 1 at a time to minimize lag.

Yeah this idea is full of holes and problems and stuff, but I thought I'd throw it out anyways. Don't bite me for it.

TealSkeletore

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2011, 11:22:34 pm »
"Also, if you do use your preset while others cannot see it, then what will the character look like to the ones who cannot see it?"

They'll see the customization options that were put on the character before you selected the preset. So for example if you go into Create a new character, and you don't bother to change any of the colours and just put your preset on it, everyone else will just see the default lion. So you can mess around with the character edit before you select your preset so everyone else will see remotely what your character is supposed to look like.

Shiro

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2011, 11:47:58 pm »
Well how much will they be? I might just try and get commissions on D.A to help me pay for a preset or two. c:

TealSkeletore

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2011, 11:48:50 pm »
Tigg said 3-4 dollars.

Shiro

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2011, 11:51:21 pm »
Okay that should be ok. I'll try to get $21-28 then for all 7 of mine and whatever extra I get from the commissions I'll just donate to Raz because i don't have a pay pal XD

Offline Tripwire

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 14
  • Bamidele Lions Of Dodoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2011, 11:57:04 pm »
NOt saying I will have a preset, but what would be the acceptable methods of payment? paypal only?