Author Topic: CLOUD COVER -- a ReShade preset [experimental]  (Read 7934 times)

ungodlycoyote

CLOUD COVER -- a ReShade preset [experimental]
« on: June 15, 2019, 08:44:00 pm »

what's up guys! it's me again, back on the bull. specifically, after exploring a variety of sweetfx configurations and enb mods, i wanted to try my hand at fiddling with ReShade to create something a little different. introducing CLOUD COVER -- a ReShade preset that gives the game a more realistic but gloomier, grittier feel, akin to skyrim or other such titles. let it be known that you must download ReShade first, which can be found here. it's the best post-processing effects injector out there in my opinion -- the interface is so easy to use and fiddle with to create some really great stuff! the installation is pretty straight forward, but i've provided a quick guide contained in the spoiler below for anyone who's having trouble!

1. click download on the site.

2. run the installation file.

3. you'll be met with this window:

click the "select game..." button and navigate to your main fh folder, which is most likely C:\FeralHeart.

click FeralHeart.exe and then open.

4. you'll then see this prompt:

click the first option, Direct3D 9. you could probably try OpenGL if that's what you run FH on, but i haven't tried this myself so don't count on it.

5. you'll then be asked if you'd like to install shaders (i forgot to get a screenshot of this, haha). install all of them.

6. ReShade is now installed on your game! you can run the installation file again and go through the same procedure if you'd like to uninstall it again.

none of the shaders used are mine, of course, as most of them actually come with ReShade -- any that don't were found on the ReShade forums. the only thing "mine" here per se is the configuration itself, so all kudos goes to the original proprietors of these. with that out of the way, let me sell to you some of the features this preset has, and as well as a few tips and disclaimers.

• the lighting systems used here are pretty realistic -- as a general rule they replicate real camera lenses. there's bloom with bright objects, and you can see dirt on the "camera lens" when the light hits it. one of my personal favourite things is the way light behaves in reaction to different surroundings. for example, when the screen is mostly a bright sky, this darkens everything else, almost like in real life how when you look nearer to the sun, other objects appear darker. as such, looking at objects head on makes them easier to see. for example, check out these screenies of one of the signs in lonely cave (left is vanilla, right is with this preset):

standing far away allows the light in the sky to leak into the "lens" which makes the text on the sign really hard to see. but moving closer and looking directly towards the sign makes reading it a lot easier. pretty cool, huh?

• for easy gameplay, i've omitted depth of field from this preset altogether. i love depth of field but getting it to work with ingame interfaces is really difficult, especially with fh's movable windows. if i can get around that someday though i'll definitely implement it.

• due to the nature of these effects and the lack of ui detection, text is ever-so-slightly distorted, even in fullscreen mode. it's still perfectly readable though!

• i recommend turning the preset off when creating a character; this preset is suited for gameplay but in character creation it can look a little funky -- specifically, the ambient occlusion looks blocky because of the lowpoly models. this looks fine in game though! i'm currently using the vanilla podium though which might not be helping; giving it a go with some of the wonderful podium maps around here might alleviate that.

• huge disclaimer -- if you have a lower-end/older computer it may be too hardware intensive, so for the love of all things holy, i implore you to backup your original fh folder, in case anything goes wrong. consider this preset in its alpha stages, as i continue to tweak it and possible make it less hardware intensive. in the meantime, setting it to "performance mode" might alleviate hardware stress.

• finally, feel free to tweak this preset as you see fit. ReShade is super easy to use!

Offline Notorious.

• Cinnamon Roll
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 56
  • Noto for short
    • View Profile
Re: CLOUD COVER -- a ReShade preset [experimental]
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 08:51:44 pm »
Holy heck, at first glance, this mod truly looks amazing and gorgeous! I love how it gives the game a whole new and different feeling to it. I'm sure lots of users will find this very intriguing yet pretty at the same time. You're killing it, keep up the fantastic work!

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 09:55:54 pm »
bro
i've been wondering if we'd ever get an enb to rival FHD

this is quality
definitely gonna be using this
i can smell my computer smoking already

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Astraea

• ❤ Positivity ❤
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 186
  • previously esarosa
    • Esar0sa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 10:10:51 pm »
Oh wow! This mod is absolutely incredible at first glance. After looking at the examples more I realized how amazing this was. You did an outstanding job with this mod and I bet many will love it as well. <3 Great work!
not active here anymore ♡

Offline Lawea

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
  • Hi/Hola!
    • https://www.deviantart.com/seiga
    • View Profile
    • Servidor de Discord Feral Heart Español
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 01:59:33 am »
Hello! I downloaded the mod for Direct3D 9 but I don't know how to activate it.

Rhakorra

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 01:17:50 pm »
The mod is really breathtaking! I was already jumping up and down when I saw the first teaser! :D I am truly amazed, and I am sure the community will put this to great use <3

Offline LadySigyn

• Let me guess... someone stole your sweetroll?
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 03:39:51 am »
Wow this is gorgeous! The details are stunning! I'm a sucker for gloomy things, so I really dig this. Incredible work.~

Offline Ame88

• ❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄ Winter is a .' - ` , ' - . ` timeless ' , ` - '. ` , - ' . season. - ', - ` , ' - . ` , Everything ' , ` - . ' , ` . freezes. `_,_'_-_._`_,_-
  • Admin
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 216
  • Yeah I believe in Bigfoot. Nessi and Kovu too!
    • Ame88thewolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 03:43:34 am »
Oh wow, this looks fantastic! Great work on this, holy smokes.

Profile picture by Telluric
Thank you ;u;
Bio | My Creations
Renegade Row | FeralHeart Resort

Offline Likuu

• -- strawberry banana
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 65
  • 𝑜𝓇𝒸𝒽𝒾𝒹
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 03:35:24 pm »
I don't know how I'm just now seeing this, but I'm for sure downloading! This is amazing!
artwork by dehvina

Offline Primrose

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • Primlet
    • Primmmy
    • aleuwing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 08:07:08 am »
Holy moly! This is amazing! Thanks for sharing! c:

Pixel icon made by the lovely, Daffolily. ♥