Author Topic: Whenever you see the word "Mapped"?  (Read 1355 times)

Offline FlyingGrass

• ~🛠 The avant-garde doctor of mechanical beings. 🔧 🔬
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
    • FlyingGrass
    • channel/UCA7RfqQ1KLl4s8JhxIXNs_Q
    • View Profile
    • Mechanicafeles Discord link
Whenever you see the word "Mapped"?
« on: April 25, 2018, 06:05:26 am »
When you see a movie clip or group advertisement in Local including the word "Mapped", what do you immediately think about?

Do you get curious as to what the map looks like?
Do you wonder if the map was designed specifically for the group?
Do you wonder if the map will cause lag or crashing?
Do you wonder if the map file will be big?

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.

Offline LycanSIXX

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Whenever you see the word "Mapped"?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 06:36:26 am »
In my opinion most people just turn up their nose and say "Well I can't do this - this being downloading custom things such as maps - and I don't have the patience to learn how", or "I tried doing this before and it didn't worl for me so I'm not going to waste my time trying again", but the first thing on my mind is "Was the map created for the group or is it something that they borrowed from an older group or a free map from the forums/deviantart", or "Was this map thrown together over the course of a few hours and not only mostly empty, but probably has a few issues", forgive me for having a bit of trust issues when somone says "BEAUTIFULLY MAPPED" and it looks like someone just threw a bunch of trees everywhere and called it a forest. I know not everyone can put together masterpieces especially their first time. My first maps were super plain, mostly empty, and basic, but I, also, never claimed they were any good haha.

I rambled for a bit there, sorry.

Offline Azurain

• 🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃
  • Member Of The Season
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 183
  • an actual forest gremlin
    • lark-bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 07:03:15 am »
Of course I always get curious. However, I'm not much of a roleplay joiner so I always have to sit and wonder at just how wonderful that map could be.

Offline [Vengeance]

• Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • 𝔞𝔤𝔯𝔢𝔢 𝔱𝔬 𝔡𝔦𝔰𝔞𝔤𝔯𝔢𝔢
    • FiendOfVengeance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 02:24:12 pm »
I don't mind mapped groups honestly. I have the knowledge of downloading maps but I always get the feeling that mapped roleplays will die off pretty quickly so I don't bother joining them. Some roleplays have very stunning maps and when those roleplays die it is sad to see such good maps go to waste. Fortunately some roleplay managers sometimes make their maps public if they don't host the roleplay anymore. Other than this, the only other time I've had trouble with mapped roleplays was when I joined one roleplay thinking it would be all fine and dandy but after I enter their map, it was lag central. I could barely move around. This was back when I didn't have a great PC so I lagged a lot on FH. Now I barely lag at all unless you mention The Grounds. The FPS still drops a ton with all of the people crowded up there.
𝔞𝔯𝔱 𝔟𝔶 𝔪𝔢

Offline Dreamknght

• Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • https://dreamknghtfirefrost.devi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 02:39:08 pm »
I have been part of a couple of mapped groups and I honestly enjoyed them when they were alive, but I have experienced often that when there are maps involved with a roleplay they would die out a bit faster then some other roleplays at times if there isn't a plot involved ahead of time and dedicated people who are willing to take the time to install the map. Being who I am I always expect a certain amount of detail among other things when I go into a map that makes sense for that specific roleplay, though I do become sad when those maps are no longer used and left in the dust. I also have seen many roleplays die because people are not willing to learn or ask for help when it comes to downloading maps, but a long time ago I have seen and I have done it myself where there were groups that did have a section in the main game map dedicated for their roleplay for those who can't download a map and then a map for those who can care and want to download the map.

Sorry for the ramble, just my experience getting the better of me.

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 12:31:32 am »

Do you wonder if the map was designed specifically for the group?

Usually, this one.~ When a roleplay is mapped, I tend to presume that it has been created especially for the group's purposes, although there have been times when I've seen mapped roleplays take place in publically frequented private maps (ex. Feralcity). Depending on what the roleplay is advertising--the type of roleplay, theme, plot involved, etc--it can pique my curiosity to wonder what the map looks like.

Interesting topic!

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.