Author Topic: ~::[ COMMUNITY RACE ]::~ Race to the Top of Ascension Island! - 10-2-22  (Read 2827 times)

Offline Kingservant

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Ascension Island Trail Guide™
    • View Profile
UPDATE: Congrats to TheEarthSpirit and Harleen, our two excellent racers!

Due to conflicting schedules with a few of the racers we had a small turnout, just the three of us, but we had a time of it. :) EarthSpirit finished first followed closely by Harleen.  More than the result however, it was the attitude of the two participants that impressed me, as both of them were committed to having a good time with friends while still doing their very best.

Well done to you both, and I hope you had fun!
Hopefully we'll get to see even more of the community at the next event!

Original post:

Hear ye, hear ye, rock-climbers and runners!  Come join the...

-~::[  Race to the Top  ]::~-
of Ascension Island, restored by Kwibjo!

Sunday, October 2nd, 2-4 PM CST (3-5 PM EST)

A few days ago I found myself reminiscing about the old days of climbing up Ascension Island to reach the legendary portal that led into Sky's Rim.  Now, thanks to the efforts of a user named Kwibjo and another user named Kitterr who reuploaded them, Ascension Island and the other old maps are available to visit again!

So, for old times' sake, I'm hosting a race!  A grand and glorious race to the top of the Island to bring the community together.  Download the map and come race with us, or just sit back and watch the fun!  We'd love to have you either way.

HEADS UP: Once you install the map pack, the portal won't appear in the Cape of Distant Worlds like other custom maps.  You MUST replace the default Lonely Cave map (the ReadMe will tell you how) which will add a small rocky den on an island in the default Lonely Cave.  This den will take you to the Old Lonely Cave map.
From Old Lonely Cave, go around the outside, climb the platforms and go through the portal up above to get into Ascension Island (see reply below for pictures).

I realize it can be a hassle to download a map pack (even a good one) just for one race.
So... why not add a reward?

To those who conquer, I'll be giving out certificates of achievement!
There will be gold for first place, and a fluorite certificate for every racer after them who makes it to the top.
They aren't official FeralHeart prizes, just a small gift I made to congratulate you for finishing the race, and to thank you for investing your time into building up our community here.

Again, the plan is to gather at Ascension Island on
Sunday, October 2nd at 2:00 PM Central Time (3:00 Eastern)
Be there with your racing paws on!

The weekly meet-ups organized by TheEarthSpirit inspired me to host this fun run, so kudos to EarthSpirit!  If you have any questions, please let me know, and feel free to reply to this post if you plan on coming!
See you there!

-= Serv =-
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 02:04:25 am by Kingservant »
"My King is a sovereign King. No means of measure can define His limitless love. He’s enduringly strong. He’s entirely sincere. He’s eternally steadfast. He’s imperially powerful. He’s impartially merciful. He's God's Son. Do you know Him?"

-- Dr. S. M. Lockridge

Offline Kingservant

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: -~::[ COMMUNITY RACE ]::~- Race to the Top of Ascension Island!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 06:37:47 am »
Once you install the map pack, Lonely Cave will be slightly different.  A small cave will appear in the lower-left corner of the map:

Enter this den, and you'll find yourself in Old Lonely Cave.  Nostalgic, isn't it?  Find Ascension Island up above.  I'll be waiting!

« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 06:41:39 am by Kingservant »
"My King is a sovereign King. No means of measure can define His limitless love. He’s enduringly strong. He’s entirely sincere. He’s eternally steadfast. He’s imperially powerful. He’s impartially merciful. He's God's Son. Do you know Him?"

-- Dr. S. M. Lockridge

Offline TheEarthSpirit

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 10
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
Re: ~::[ COMMUNITY RACE ]::~ Race to the Top of Ascension Island!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 10:06:54 pm »
Heck ya you can Bet I will be there!!! >:3

Offline Kingservant

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: ~::[ COMMUNITY RACE ]::~ Race to the Top of Ascension Island!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 11:52:46 pm »
Hey, EarthSpirit, welcome!  It'll be great to have you there.  And thanks for the inspiration!

-- Dr. S. M. Lockridge

Offline DylanCheetah

• The Ice Prince
  • Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 73
  • Stand up for what is right!
    • DylanCheetah
    • channel/UCqd67NThdXJwpXimwYb3kaQ
    • View Profile
Re: ~::[ COMMUNITY RACE ]::~ Race to the Top of Ascension Island! - 10-2-22
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 02:23:28 am »
As a veteran player of 3D Mario games, I must accept your ultimate platforming challenge. XDD

Offline TacoAddict

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 12:43:11 pm »
Fastest record on Accension was 58 seconds :)
Broken by Mokuren_Kibuyashi back in 2013

Offline BlackSheWolf

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • I'm Xena !
    • blackshewolf666
    • View Profile
    • Discord
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2022, 12:46:41 pm »
I NEED TO BE THERE!!!!
Open MD if you need help!
Abre un MD si necesitas ayuda!

Offline Kingservant

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2022, 03:17:40 pm »
Thanks for responding, everyone, so glad you're coming!  Wow, someone did it in less than a minute?  Amazing!

Remember, you can use the Set Home button in your character menu to give yourself a checkpoint, but it takes a second and might cost you precious time.  I highly recommend setting home right before the change from circles to rings.

Also, be sure to download and test out the map pack a couple days in advance so you're sure you can get to Ascension Island.

Looking forward to Sunday!

-- Dr. S. M. Lockridge

Offline Kingservant

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2022, 05:37:14 pm »
It's racing day!!

We'll be meeting at Ascension Island at 2:00 PM CST (3:00 Eastern), and we'll begin the race about 15 minutes or so after that to give people some time to trickle in.

A few last reminders as you prepare for the race:

-- Your character can have wings, but be aware that flying is disabled on the Ascension Island map.  If by some glitch you're able to fly, please don't do so to keep the competition fair. :)

-- Dashing is allowed, but discouraged.  It's very easy to overshoot and fall.

-- Remember that you can save your position like an anchor using the Set Home feature in your character menu (the icon with the feather on it).  This will give you a reset point if you fall, but it does cost precious time to set your position.

-- There will be a "RedLineLion" stationed at each fork in the road to keep you on track.  Follow the instructions in their names and you should find your way!

Happy running!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 02:05:54 am by Kingservant »

-- Dr. S. M. Lockridge

Offline Ame88

• ❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄ Winter is a .' - ` , ' - . ` timeless ' , ` - '. ` , - ' . season. - ', - ` , ' - . ` , Everything ' , ` - . ' , ` . freezes. `_,_'_-_._`_,_-
  • Admin
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 216
  • Yeah I believe in Bigfoot. Nessi and Kovu too!
    • Ame88thewolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2022, 09:23:06 pm »
So sad I wasn't able to attend this, but I hope everyone had a fun time!

Profile picture by Telluric
Thank you ;u;
Bio | My Creations
Renegade Row | FeralHeart Resort