Author Topic: Net Neutrality?  (Read 2841 times)

Offline bunnylions

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 42
  • I'm stupid and I'm proud! :D
    • KazeoLion
    • channel/UCIabUy2dwwyNBHYt7j49XzA
    • View Profile
Net Neutrality?
« on: July 03, 2017, 02:56:33 pm »

As you might have heard, the FCC will let cable companies control the Internet, blocking sites like this and nailing down extra fees, unless the Internet community stops them. What do you think of this? Have you emailed or called the FCC yet? Did you create weaponized artwork? Tell what you think and what you have done.
Did you know I make games? :D
Meow.

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
Re: Net Neutrality?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 04:48:09 pm »
Interesting topic. I was actually planning on making a topic about this as net neutrality and keeping the internet from becoming a huge monopoly is in all of our best interests.

For those who don't know, net neutrality is what makes the internet "free". Free as in, the internet's freedom. Freedom and openness to browse anywhere without restrictions controlling where you go and what you do. Without net neutrality, Internet Service Providers will make it so certain data or websites are blocked and there will be "fast lanes" and "slow lanes" of packets. The "fast lanes" of traffic will be the prioritized, because they will be funded by profit organizations and companies that want to be in the "fast lane" and have their websites accessed faster. This is only one of the ways the internet will change without net neutrality.

Currently, we have a set of regulations that protect us and the internet of Internet Service Providers controlling what we do with our internet. As of recent, the FCC has voted to overturn our net neutrality regulations. If they succeed, the internet and how "free" it is will end as we know it.

Here are some images that illustrate what the internet might look like without net neutrality

Here's how to help:
► Sign the petition here: https://www.battleforthenet.com
► Leave a comment on the FCC's website (The net neutrality proceeding number is 17-108): https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filings/express
► If you can't accomplish the above, spread the word! A large number of you use DeviantArt so: http://danlev.deviantart.com/journal/Create-Art-to-Fight-for-Net-Neutrality-689661577

As for me, I will be contacting the FCC and signing the petition.
Help protect our internet. Support net neutraility!
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 07:26:03 pm »
If that happens how long until a band of computer whizz anarchists start a second internet that retains its neutrality?
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"

Offline Vilivikhorith

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • \n\n\n\n
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 11:35:23 pm »
Every few years I always hear about some attack on net neutrality. This isn't the first time, and I highly doubt it will be the last. The loss of net neutrality can threaten more than the content you can view - it threatens the exchange of ideas and information accessibility. I will certainly find some way to play a part in its preservation, even if it is as small and (seemingly) insignificant as one petition signee among many.

If that happens how long until a band of computer whizz anarchists start a second internet that retains its neutrality?

Believe it or not, but something more or less like that has been around for some time now. If net neutrality is no more, I expect to see a large increase in hidden services/users on the tor and i2p protocols to circumvent the blocks/service degradations. It will probably be very hard to, at the very least, outright block services accessed via i2p. It is interesting to note though, that the effects are likely to be ISP specific, which makes my mind wonder other things in return, with this potential scenario.

Offline ShapesNBeats

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 32
  • (INACTIVE TEMPORARILY)
    • Sky Pupperz
    • skypupperz
    • SkyPupperz
    • SkyPupperz
    • View Profile
    • MeWe
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 03:55:05 am »