Author Topic: Coming Soon-ish... Different Head Types [Image Heavy] [Updated 11/13/2017]  (Read 6791 times)

Offline Vestamia

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Your Token Dog Friend
    • TheMarquisOfDorks
    • themarquisofdorks
    • View Profile
Previously known as "I Wanted A Real Cat". Expect major edits from here on out as I make progress.

Last Updated 11/13/2017: Added fixed big jowls (dog eyes are fixed!), wider cheeks on felines, lion cub head, another preset preview, and update on multiplayer effect on head coloration.

Been fiddling with the possibility of giving people more options for head shapes. Having a cat that actually looks like a cat was high on my list of priorities, so I fenangled a bit and came up with a handful of things.

Cat prototype

Persian prototype

Oriental prototype

Lion cub prototype

Wide feline cheeks prototype

Big jowls prototype

Obviously these all need a lot of work, and I plan on making other variations as well. Before anyone asks, they're just items, not alterations to the body mesh itself (that'd be sooo much work, though in theory may be possible). They're on a preset with a (mostly) transparent head, so they still use the actual ingame ears and ear animations (the ear mauling is caused by my shoddy transparency work, not by the heads themselves. Oops!) The meshes of the new heads adjust themselves based on the width and length of your character, so they'll stay proportionate.

My idea was that these would be grouped with presets to enable people to play as more unique OCs of theirs. That's probably an unrealistic expectation given you'd have to really keep track of your item list so you can see everyone's heads correctly (probably more viable in groups then as a general item to wear?), but it's the main way I've been thinking about it so far. Think of it as an extension of a preset.

Speaking of presets, they will definitely be possible!

Fits like a glove!

Texture preview in Blender. Though optional, this will allow Blender experienced users to paint a new texture right on the head in the 3D interface

A placeholder "preset" with Toxic's feline texture. Works precisely like normal presets do, no change in UV mapping (so you could make a preset as you normally would and it'd still fit) or coding. If you can make a regular preset, you can make a head with a custom texture.

Even without a preset, though, I fenangled them in Blender so they're capable of doing this:

To spell it out, they pick up on the same pelt color, underfur color, eye color, etc. as the actual player model. Innit that something?
This means that they could potentially either be colored based on someone's preset OR on the colors of their default ingame model.

It also seems like it works pretty well from the point of view of other players. I've done minor testing with my friend where both of us wore the same item and our chosen colors stayed consistent with our characters. This is wonderful news! Given the testing was minor, there's no guarantee it'll work every time or for everyone, but we'll see!

I don't work on these all the time since I have adult responsibilites outside of FH (ugh) but if anyone would be interested in helping me perfect these, I'd love to hear from you. I've learned to fix most issues with the textures, but the meshes themselves are still a bit of a mess (hence "prototype"). As I learn Blender they'll get some finer tweaking.

I'm willing to do a tutorial on this sorta thing when I'm done with all the heads if anyone's interested. Knowledge is meant to be shared, but I'm not giving anyone any faulty code or modeling advice.

In the meantime, feedback, suggestions, and whatever else have ya are very much appreciated. Hints, tips, suggestions for future heads, whatever. Help me help these polygon animals.

Future plans for this project:
  • More heads including but not limited to pitbull, hyena, and maybe non-canine and non-feline animals
  • Make the prototypes actually pretty
  • Make preset base that takes head seam and ears into account (or fill seam?)
  • New feet?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:26:51 am by Vestamia »
You think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and pretend to be a dog?

Offline Azurain

• 🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃
  • Member Of The Season
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 183
  • an actual forest gremlin
    • lark-bird
    • View Profile
Re: I Wanted A Real Cat [Image Heavy?]
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 08:25:10 pm »
Holy cow....I never thought this was even possible. It's really cool! Sadly I have no knowledge with Blender or anything like that or I would help out. But I'll watch this and see what all happens! Thanks for sharing!

Online Hakumi

• ✩ Just A Virtuous Smol ✩
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 130
  • A Smol & Helpful Floof ~
    • leanim3fr3akzoid
    • LeAnim3Fr3akzoid
    • View Profile
Re: I Wanted A Real Cat [Image Heavy?]
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 12:27:53 am »
Oh wow, this is amazing so far o:
I mostly tinker with animations on Blender, but this is so cool ~!
I'll be stalking this thread for sure, hopefully someone with more experience can help ya out <3

Keep on traveling across this road called 'Life.'

Discord: Haku - Haku#74O7

Offline Vestamia

• Curious Wanderer
  • Your Token Dog Friend
    • TheMarquisOfDorks
    • themarquisofdorks
    • View Profile
Re: Coming Soon-ish... Different Head Types [Image Heavy?]
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 02:44:03 am »
Hey guys! Glad to see this project of mine garnering some interest. I couldn't help myself, I took some more time out to fix the textures and record a .gif to show I wasn't lying when I said they pick up the same colors as the model. They work great now, no more missing eyeballs! I'll be posting updated pics of the fixed meshes soon, and probably attempt some presets with them to see if my theory was right about them being easy as a preset to code.

Feedback, suggestions, critique, etc. are all very welcome! I might also end up looking for people willing to test some stuff with me, but that'd definitely come later. I'm so excited!
You think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and pretend to be a dog?

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 02:44:20 am »
i'm scared

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Vestamia

• Curious Wanderer
  • Your Token Dog Friend
    • TheMarquisOfDorks
    • themarquisofdorks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 02:49:22 am »
i'm scared
Why? Aintcha ever seen a normal cat before?

Cats have two heads, right?

Online Hakumi

• ✩ Just A Virtuous Smol ✩
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 130
  • A Smol & Helpful Floof ~
    • leanim3fr3akzoid
    • LeAnim3Fr3akzoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 03:04:07 am »
o:
Wonderful news ~! It seems to work really well and I love how the shape looks, it's really natural in a way. <3
Keep it up, I too, am excited for this future completion <'3

Keep on traveling across this road called 'Life.'

Discord: Haku - Haku#74O7

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 07:41:27 am »
Good job on making the texture codes work in blender, i never mastered that.
Giggle at the two heads thing.
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"

Offline FlyingGrass

• ~🛠 The avant-garde doctor of mechanical beings. 🔧 🔬
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
    • FlyingGrass
    • channel/UCA7RfqQ1KLl4s8JhxIXNs_Q
    • View Profile
    • Mechanicafeles Discord link
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 03:20:27 pm »
Low poly! ;D This'll decrease lag!
Good job!

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.

Offline G4RG0YLE

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 170
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 03:24:28 pm »
It's lovely to see that you're experimenting with the possibilities that the FH Creation offers while there is such limited access without the source code. I can't wait to see how far you progress with this. c:

© short ' cakes on Discord ♡