Author Topic: height map is very weird, my problem is diffrent from others (SOLVED)  (Read 1273 times)

Offline Raa_Talent

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • oLd BoNeS bRoUgHt BaCk To LiFe
    • View Profile
so a long time ago, roughly 2013 so... roughly 7 years ago i used to make alot of maps, i've looked through the fourms and currently all of the mods and such are off (T_T) so i've tried changing rendering system, changing graphics checked that if it all correct, even changing the coding for the map, here is where it gets weird, ive checked, my map is in greyscale, has no alpha layer, is 513X513 a png ect, i think it may be my pc since its kinda old, but its only feral heart that crashes, so here is what happens i open map maker with my height map (i've made several and none of them work) and everything is fine, can do whatever i want, until i add in the terrain map, then it crashes and gives me the "feralheart has stopped working" popup, then forcefully closes it, now heres a step further, my map is exported, so when i go into the cape of distant worlds i can see my terrain map, but the overall terrain is flat, i have a picture, but unfortunately i am not sure how to attach a picture, i was never really on the fourms T_T, every other topic of this that i've found has been solved, and i have tried the methods there, and the tutorials but nothing seems to work, can someone help me with the pictures then check if it is just my pc chugging, or what.

also sorry if this is wrong topic or there was a preexisting thread that did have my problem that i did not find, thank you for taking the time to read and assist.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 01:36:18 am by Raa_Talent »
a laugh is something that will heal a broken soul, grow muscles and relationships, but also be the last thing on my breath.

SpicyDirt

Re: height map is very weird, my problem is diffrent from others
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 08:50:11 pm »
Hello!

It can be quite infuriating when maps don't work. I can try my best to help you though! It sounds to me that the terrain map is causing your issue. Have you tried creating a different "test" terrain map? That way you could see if it is that specific map or if it is an issue with the game/laptop.

Another issue could be what you said - your laptop being old. Often times it can take a lot to load one of those maps and sometimes it can just be too much for a computer to handle.

I'd recommend making a new and simple terrain map to see if the first one has issues or not.

Let me know what happens!

Offline Raa_Talent

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 09:08:08 pm »
Hello!

It can be quite infuriating when maps don't work. I can try my best to help you though! It sounds to me that the terrain map is causing your issue. Have you tried creating a different "test" terrain map? That way you could see if it is that specific map or if it is an issue with the game/laptop.

Another issue could be what you said - your laptop being old. Often times it can take a lot to load one of those maps and sometimes it can just be too much for a computer to handle.

I'd recommend making a new and simple terrain map to see if the first one has issues or not.

Let me know what happens!

even with a super simply map it still crashed, and yeah i've done a bunch of different tests to see if maybe its the way the map is but it seems not to work.
a laugh is something that will heal a broken soul, grow muscles and relationships, but also be the last thing on my breath.

SpicyDirt

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 02:55:59 am »
This may be infuriating, but have you tried to completely uninstall and reinstall the game?

I understand if you have already tried this. The main thing that comes to mind would not actually be the game for me but rather the software/png file. What software do you use to make the heightmaps? And if you don't mind, what are all of the steps that you take when it comes to starting/making/exporting the maps? There might be something in that process that may seem small but it could be messing it up. I remember I once had issues when the map had multiple layers in it.

Offline Raa_Talent

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 07:46:45 pm »
file:///C:/FeralHeart/media/terrains/VwTerrain.png
file:///C:/FeralHeart/media/terrains/WolfTerrain.png
file:///C:/FeralHeart/screenshots/screenshot_01222020_132819165.png

i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling a couple times. see if you can see these, perhaps see if they work for you?
as for process and apps, at first i used fire alpaca, seeing that that didn't seem to work i went to paint.net (something i had used for all of my maps in the past, with no problems before) and the standard Microsoft paint, on all of these I've removed all color, removed the alpha layer etc. granted each of these programs have a different way of doing this, but i see all three of them failing to respond.  as for process I've tried a couple things, from the old stuff i remembered i changed the "default terrain" which caused the map maker to be entirely unresponsive, even after making a new image. i'm not entirely sure what happened, granted i did not know what i did so it may have been hard to fix since i had been using fire alpaca entirely, and not removing the color. i fixed this by uninstall and reinstall. now I've tried opening map maker> opening terrain = crash.
I've tried exporting map>open export in map maker>open terrain = crash.
I've also tried messing with the coding for the exported map to use the terrain i have set up, now it goes open map maker> open export = crash.

i had used gimp once before on the old version, but it somehow deleted an important file or something and i couldn't reinstall feralheart (that and the desktop has been put away for several years) so i'd rather not use gimp, and photoshop isn't something i would use for anything else so i don't want to waste money on it, but if i have to i could send off my maps to be edited in photoshop, it would be more of a problem if they work off the bat for someone else, (without tampering with the image) and yet not for me, as this will make all maps i make a team effort.
you see i'm currently making a map for a role-play group, though i left the group i still said i would try to make a map for them, not knowing how much it has changed and become touchy.

SpicyDirt

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 01:27:45 am »
I have never heard of those software options. Would you mind trying to use MediBang? That software is straight forward and I know that it works for making maps. Also, deleting the default terrain can have some major effects on the game, so if you have a backup of that you may want to put it back to how it originally was.

This may sound simple, but do you have any "invisible" pieces of the terrain? Having a transparent piece on the map can cause an immediate crash.

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 01:38:46 am »
this requires GIMP, but also try flattening the image.
on GIMP you hover over "image" and the flatten image option is near the bottom. for some reason if you use any modern art program without doing this, the height map will not work.

if you don't want to download GIMP, pm me and i'll try it for you!

Offline Raa_Talent

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 11:39:41 pm »
@spicydirt i'll try media bang, and don't worry i replaced the height map and it was good, also i don't have any invisible bits, i think since you reccomended mediabang and that seems to work for you, i'll see if its the program or my laptop.

@WolfQueen it used to work with paint.net, and the image is indeed flattened, i will PM the images to you to try however. my fear is they will work for you but not me, meaning that it is indeed my laptop having the error.

Offline Raa_Talent

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 01:35:51 am »
This problem has been solved, turns out that there was strangely enough a greyscale problem, for some reason feralheart was being very touchy with what counted as greyscale, i can make whatever image i like then run it threw mediabang to save it as a proper greyscale and it works, thank you to everyone involed and more so spicydirt for the solution!
if a mod would now lock this its been solved.