Author Topic: Help in converting OBJ to MESH and Plugin MAT to MESH  (Read 1286 times)

Offline StarSoul

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Help in converting OBJ to MESH and Plugin MAT to MESH
« on: May 21, 2019, 05:56:37 pm »
just a question. was looking for some objects on SKETCHFAB and found them.
 Just need info on how to convert the OBJs to MESH and plugin the MATERIAL file to MESH.

I GOT BLENDER. but I am not sure how to convert. and plugin.
 If its too hard, would anyone be up to doing it for me?

~ ~ ~

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
Re: Help in converting OBJ to MESH and Plugin MAT to MESH
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 03:57:04 am »
Blender?  I know how on blender2.77.   And some OGRE plugin I can't remember how to install.  Might still be tutorials on the internet.

"Import" the .obj by looking under file, import, wavefront(.obj).
Then i click on it, select "object mode" on the little selector, for me it's at the bottm of the screen.  Has to be object mode not edit mode.

Then export as OGRE mesh.  The OGRE plugin spits out a material file for it.

You might have to drag-drop the exported mesh file into the command line tool which will give you a new mesh file that the game can read.

Here's the ones I use just in case you need them.   http://www.mediafire.com/file/i8ccmilduap1cc8/OgreCommandLineTools_1.7.2.zip/file
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"

Offline GraWolf

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • grawolfquinn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 05:18:25 pm »
Here's a tutorial for a plugin that easily imports/exports .mesh models, even with modern Blender!: https://code.google.com/archive/p/torchlight-to-blender/ Note that you have to save your work as a .blend file before exporting it with this plugin, or else there's an error. Dunno about the material files, though.
I think I'll do a full tutorial on how to do it sometime soon. If you still don't understand, PM me and I'll try to give a more detailed explanation.

Offline FlyingGrass

• ~🛠 The avant-garde doctor of mechanical beings. 🔧 🔬
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
    • FlyingGrass
    • channel/UCA7RfqQ1KLl4s8JhxIXNs_Q
    • View Profile
    • Mechanicafeles Discord link
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 08:04:34 am »
This tutorial includes the link to a Blender script that exports Ogre Mesh files in the old 2.49b version of Blender(Doesn't work on most recent Blender), it's what I use, and (As far as I know) there any errors in the plugin as long as the right buttons are selected. The tutorial includes installation instructions too. https://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=49368.0
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 08:06:33 am by FlyingGrass »

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.