Author Topic: FH Restoration Guide - IMPORTANT: Please Read  (Read 4551 times)

Offline Ellen11v

• Don't open, blue inside
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 276
  • Bye :)
    • Lousiem
    • EllenPlayz
    • View Profile
    • Global Moderator of an IT server
Re: FH Restoration Guide - IMPORTANT: Please Read
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2021, 05:20:06 pm »
It's not easy to just make mobile games but prove me wrong.
doing what i feel like

Offline wolfsquad

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 61
  • Did you take all your medication today?
    • View Profile
    • Information
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2021, 05:55:27 pm »
if nobody is playing on a computer, why would ppl be playing on their itty bitty phone lol

Offline Ame88

• ❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄ Winter is a .' - ` , ' - . ` timeless ' , ` - '. ` , - ' . season. - ', - ` , ' - . ` , Everything ' , ` - . ' , ` . freezes. `_,_'_-_._`_,_-
  • Admin
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 216
  • Yeah I believe in Bigfoot. Nessi and Kovu too!
    • Ame88thewolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2021, 06:11:09 pm »
if nobody is playing on a computer, why would ppl be playing on their itty bitty phone lol

I ask myself the same question for Animal Jam over Play Wild, but boiled down, the answer is simple: it's easy and more convenient to have it on their "itty bitty phones" than to sit at a computer.

The goal would be to make it easier and more convenient for people to be on, but for the whole concept to work, FH wold need more content.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 06:12:50 pm by Ame88 »

Profile picture by Telluric
Thank you ;u;
Bio | My Creations
Renegade Row | FeralHeart Resort

Offline BloodWinsAll

• G o d
  • Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 47
  • Feels like I'm going insane
    • Firesong-stormi
    • Firesong
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2021, 07:39:43 pm »
So, it seems that the mobile has gained some traction and I've thought more on it and while I think the concept is cool, I also have concerns about what a Mobile Feral-Heart would be.

One of the biggest draws for me, personally, was the member-made content of FH. I came back to FH after a break (and discovering it would run on my machine) due to the ability for me to make maps. Map-making was, and is one of the coolest aspects of this game. So is making and using preset, objects, animations, markings, and GUIs.

I understand wanting to add features for the game itself to make it more engaging, and I think additions would be great! I also think there are some aspects of the game that would be lost with the mobile version-- which if that is a solution to activity I feel like I should voice them?

RP groups. Most RP groups, in my opinion, wouldn't run on the mobile FH or utilize it for their groups. Especially RP groups that write longer posts, writing on mobile is not exactly easy or fun. I understand that you wouldn't have to use the mobile version, but if new players are using the mobile app over the desktop, or that's how people get on the game more often, I see RP groups drifting even further away from the game.

Member made content. I understand that this is also something that can be done on the desktop version, but with updated features and other things with FH, would those options still be available? Would you be able to make your own objects, add them to the game, make your own maps? How do you upload presets, maps, items, animations, GUI without getting on the desktop first? What if you only use mobile-- are you just not going to be able to utilize those things?

Mobile is definitely an interesting take, I'm just not sure the things that make FH interesting and charming now work in a mobile format?

Offline Ame88

• ❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄ Winter is a .' - ` , ' - . ` timeless ' , ` - '. ` , - ' . season. - ', - ` , ' - . ` , Everything ' , ` - . ' , ` . freezes. `_,_'_-_._`_,_-
  • Admin
  • Elder Grey Pelt
    • Ame88thewolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2021, 08:31:21 pm »
So, it seems that the mobile has gained some traction and I've thought more on it and while I think the concept is cool, I also have concerns about what a Mobile Feral-Heart would be.

One of the biggest draws for me, personally, was the member-made content of FH. I came back to FH after a break (and discovering it would run on my machine) due to the ability for me to make maps. Map-making was, and is one of the coolest aspects of this game. So is making and using preset, objects, animations, markings, and GUIs.

I understand wanting to add features for the game itself to make it more engaging, and I think additions would be great! I also think there are some aspects of the game that would be lost with the mobile version-- which if that is a solution to activity I feel like I should voice them?

RP groups. Most RP groups, in my opinion, wouldn't run on the mobile FH or utilize it for their groups. Especially RP groups that write longer posts, writing on mobile is not exactly easy or fun. I understand that you wouldn't have to use the mobile version, but if new players are using the mobile app over the desktop, or that's how people get on the game more often, I see RP groups drifting even further away from the game.

Member made content. I understand that this is also something that can be done on the desktop version, but with updated features and other things with FH, would those options still be available? Would you be able to make your own objects, add them to the game, make your own maps? How do you upload presets, maps, items, animations, GUI without getting on the desktop first? What if you only use mobile-- are you just not going to be able to utilize those things?

Mobile is definitely an interesting take, I'm just not sure the things that make FH interesting and charming now work in a mobile format?

If the game had a mobile version, simply put, the charm would be mostly gone. It would be incredibly hard to make maps, presets, change your interface etc., unless you're a glutton for punishment and want to go through the process of using the map maker tools on mobile. To get hands on with any other files like animation files or items, markings, and meshes, you'd have to access the FH Mobile files via your computer. Seems to defeat the purpose if you want to be on mobile but you can't do any of that on mobile without a computer to aid you. A simple solution to this would be just to have the customization set only to the desktop, but that is very limiting to the mobile users to just be on the base game, so what would even be the point. There are other measures that can be taken to ease the strain on making some of those customizations, but that would take some technical work and networking set up by Raz and any other coder that has the time and knowledge.

While a mobile version seems pretty cool, I personally am against it. FeralHeart for years has been a desktop game, and within those years people have been content with it. We don't need to be focusing our time into splitting the community between mobile and desktop while there are more important things that need to be fixed/worked on, namely general fixes and improvements the game needs, on top of seeing if we can't get it off of it's current engine as it's lifespan is dwindling and will soon no longer be supported on any new computers that come out, along with it's performance not being the best in this day and age. While mobile can be an easy fix with various problems following that fix, there are other solutions we need to look into first.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 08:38:21 pm by Ame88 »

Thank you ;u;
Bio | My Creations

Offline toonanimals317

• The Fandom Queen
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 48
  • What is grief, if not love persevering?
    • toonanimals317
    • randomnessandfandoms
    • Toonanimals
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2021, 10:42:40 pm »

If the game had a mobile version, simply put, the charm would be mostly gone. It would be incredibly hard to make maps, presets, change your interface etc., unless you're a glutton for punishment and want to go through the process of using the map maker tools on mobile. To get hands on with any other files like animation files or items, markings, and meshes, you'd have to access the FH Mobile files via your computer. Seems to defeat the purpose if you want to be on mobile but you can't do any of that on mobile without a computer to aid you. A simple solution to this would be just to have the customization set only to the desktop, but that is very limiting to the mobile users to just be on the base game, so what would even be the point. There are other measures that can be taken to ease the strain on making some of those customizations, but that would take some technical work and networking set up by Raz and any other coder that has the time and knowledge.

While a mobile version seems pretty cool, I personally am against it. FeralHeart for years has been a desktop game, and within those years people have been content with it. We don't need to be focusing our time into splitting the community between mobile and desktop while there are more important things that need to be fixed/worked on, namely general fixes and improvements the game needs, on top of seeing if we can't get it off of it's current engine as it's lifespan is dwindling and will soon no longer be supported on any new computers that come out, along with it's performance not being the best in this day and age. While mobile can be an easy fix with various problems following that fix, there are other solutions we need to look into first.

I totally agree with both of you, I don't think that a mobile version of Feralheart is really viable, or something I'd be for. All in all, a mobile version would just not be Feralheart anymore. So much of the creativity would be sucked out of it if it was on mobile, not to mention that I'm not sure you'd even be able to port FH into a mobile game (but I don't know a lot about that). It's definitely a 'for computer' game, and that's just how it is. I don't want to see a mobile version of FH. I don't think it would feel like the same game, it would probably have to be rebuilt completely. If anything the only thing that would remain the same would probably be the base idea of having a game where you play as canine or feline and explore.

As Stormi said, it would be incredibly difficult to RP on (I for one hate typing sideways on my phone, and I assume a FH mobile game would be played sideways) and so many of the original things players can make (maps, presets, etc) would be pretty much impossible.

I feel like while it's a cool idea... it's not something I would want, or even be interested in. I like Feralheart how it is and while I wouldn't mind some upgrades, I don't feel like it needs to change what it can be played on. Mobile FH sounds unnecessary to me. I totally agree that there are other things that should be focused on like Ame said!

Other Accounts - ImTheHero, Wolfshadow317, & AgentWashington - Say hi!
Sig by CheetusPeepus on Tumblr, Profile Pic lines by AViciousFox on DeviantArt

My Presets!

Offline DylanCheetah

• The Ice Prince
  • Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 73
  • Stand up for what is right!
    • DylanCheetah
    • channel/UCqd67NThdXJwpXimwYb3kaQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2021, 04:46:53 am »
It's not easy to just make mobile games but prove me wrong.

I design software that works equally well on Windows, Linux, and Android with absolutely no trouble at all. Mobile development is no harder than desktop development. In fact, I made a small game to teach cross-platform game development. You can find the code in this tutorial: https://cybermals.ml/cheetah-code/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=40&sid=ae62b409237a231fedc3deb7565578d2

And I invite you to DM me if you would like to try out the built Windows, Linux, and Android versions of said game.

For starters, mobile devices include tablets. People who only play mobile games probably know nothing about FH. And even if they did, it isn't available on their gaming device of choice (aka their phone or tablet). If it was available to them, it could get them interested in playing and make FH less empty.

For starters, there is no reason why member-made content couldn't work equally well on a mobile edition of FH. The tools required to make member-made content are a text editor, an image editor, a mesh editor, and an animation editor. The first three are already available on phones and tablets. Everything else is done in-game and I definitely know that Android provides user access to files in an app's external storage folder.

Furthermore, I will emphasize that the primary target audience of a mobile version of FH would be people who prefer mobile games. Not current players who prefer PC games. And I am not talking about having 2 separate servers either. I am talking about having one codebase that compiles for multiple platforms and connects to just one server as described in this diagram which I have prepared for your convenience:

In fact, if you do some reasearch, you will find that many games already have this so called "cross-platform" play. For example, Minecraft for Windows 10 can connect to the same server as the Android and Nintendo Switch versions of Minecraft.

Part of this was addressed above, but I will also address a few points you made here.

For starters, I do not believe that a mobile version would detract from the charm of the game or split the community between mobile and desktop. As I stated above, a mobile edition would be primarily for people who do not play PC games and it would use the same server as the PC game. Therefore, it would cause no division and would not affect existing players in a negative manner.

Also, you stated that something we should be looking at is getting away from the current engine. If we did switch engines, even if the new engine was a modern version of Ogre, most modern engines come with mobile support out of the box. Newer Ogre has it, Unity has it, Godot has it, etc. So why not take advantage of the opportunity? A mobile edition is not supposed to be an "easy fix" but rather a small piece of a larger solution that includes fixing performance and compatibility issues.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 04:52:47 am by DylanCheetah »

Offline Ame88

• Admin
  • Elder Grey Pelt
    • Ame88thewolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2021, 06:36:43 am »
While I understand all of your points, and agree that it would be beneficial in certain aspects, mobile is still something that we shouldn't be concerned with right this second. It would be better to look into something like that once the game is on stable grounds (petition to rename The Grounds to Stable Grounds les go- jokes, jokes pff). It's definitely something to have in our back pockets for later down the road as an option.

Thank you ;u;
Bio | My Creations

Offline DylanCheetah

• The Ice Prince
  • Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 73
  • Stand up for what is right!
    • DylanCheetah
    • channel/UCqd67NThdXJwpXimwYb3kaQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2021, 03:39:41 pm »
While I understand all of your points, and agree that it would be beneficial in certain aspects, mobile is still something that we shouldn't be concerned with right this second. It would be better to look into something like that once the game is on stable grounds (petition to rename The Grounds to Stable Grounds les go- jokes, jokes pff). It's definitely something to have in our back pockets for later down the road as an option.

In a cross-platform project, mobile development always does come after desktop development because it is easier to test the desktop edition. So this concept does fit in with what you are saying.

wolfdog01

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2021, 06:16:49 pm »
I haven't read through the whole thread but since mobile games seem to be the topic right now. I think having a character creator for mobile would be cool, then you could just save the info and copy it to the computer. Other than that, I cannot see how a mobile version would help a ton. I probably wouldn't play it cause I imagine misclicking or lag could be an issue, with the chat and maybe the emotes tab open, that's a lot of clutter too. But who knows, if it can be done it might turn out great. Could run along side those aninal sim games on the Google Play store.