Author Topic: What was old Feral Heart like?  (Read 4614 times)

Offline Oddonelynx

• Tuesday is applesauce day, but I am also a Jovial Bobcat!(Not lynx)
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 110
  • Hyenas deserve less hate.
    • BOTOFan
    • channel/UC5lDa5s7GLRWQHoH70ne34Q
    • View Profile
What was old Feral Heart like?
« on: April 29, 2019, 08:11:00 pm »
I joined in the May of 2018, so I never get what old players are talking about, like the "Good old days.."  or "Nostalgic"
So old players who are still playing Feral heart... What was it like in the "golden ages"?
How was it like?
Was it different?
How different?
What do you miss the most?
Was it cool?
Were there way more players?

Art by QuietMacaroni

Offline star._.chariot

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Pantsu maru mi e.
    • angryfandomwaifu
    • Serenity Mallette
    • angryfandomwaifu
    • anime_kid13
    • angryfandomwai1
    • View Profile
Re: What was old Feral Heart like?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 08:41:01 pm »
Back in old FeralHeart, there was a lot more people, and even though it lagged, everyone did their own thing and had fun. Not to say it doesn't happen now- most of us old players just grew up in the old maps and they just remind us of when FeralHeart was in its prime, hence, "the good old days" of FH.
Let's have a little chat.

Offline star._.chariot

• Curious Wanderer
  • Pantsu maru mi e.
    • angryfandomwaifu
    • Serenity Mallette
    • angryfandomwaifu
    • anime_kid13
    • angryfandomwai1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 08:42:54 pm »
Back in old FeralHeart, there was a lot more people, and even though it lagged, everyone did their own thing and had fun. Not to say it doesn't happen now- most of us old players just grew up in the old maps and they just remind us of when FeralHeart was in its prime, hence, "the good old days" of FH.

And just to clarify, this is just a summary. I joined in April 2015 originally so I'm not as old as some of the players and a lot of other people can probably explain it better.
Let's have a little chat.

Offline Azurain

• 🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃
  • Member Of The Season
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 183
  • an actual forest gremlin
    • lark-bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 09:04:03 pm »
Insane, but fun. There were a lot more people and even though the maps weren't nearly as decorated, they were amazing. Never forget Bonfire with the nutty TLK players and the Nalas throwing themselves off Pride Rock. And the mate centers. OOOOOHHHHH the mate centers.

Offline Morqque

• A Positive Nihilist
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 123
  • In the shadow of the light from a black sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 10:21:02 pm »
these charming comics will shed some light on what life was like back in the day
credit to the artists

Offline Francophile

• Curious Wanderer
  • i like hadestown
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 10:27:10 pm »
not to be nostalgic on main, but old FH was glorious. everybody was absolutely hog wild, doing what they liked, trying to get on the very edge of pride rock and falling off, crashing in last cave, etc. etc. there were lots of wild RPs and centers going on. there was lots of Skylar F Pups one-shotting adult wolves and Cry M Deers simply begging to be hunted and eaten. it was all fun

the maps were boring, though, i have to say, though that was the charm. atlantis and south pole were bleak wastelands, last cave as well, but LCs entire 'schtick' was being a bleak and scary endless cave. there was the last cave crashing as well--13 year old me is quaking.

tl;dr all fun and games (:

Offline rubycherry

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • I ain't much, but I'm honest work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 11:35:51 pm »
Oh, I remember all the old maps back then! Fluorite Plains, Temple of Dreams, South Pole, Atlantis, Ascension Island Sky's Rim, Last Cave, I miss them all so much!

Temple of Dreams was my favorite, and still is! I loved the music that played there, it's beautiful! Moon Temple, by Karunesh.

Offline Machungwa63

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 12:39:53 am »
As Azura said, the maps weren't as decorated but each had its own thing that made it unique.

Bonfire Island was crazy. It had a rise that led to a Pride-Rockish kind of structure where TLK roleplays took place and down below was where Mate Center took place. It was a good place to go and meet new people - fortunately The Grounds kind of shares this atmosphere.

South Pole was a giant winter wasteland that led to Atlantis which was a bunch of ocean with some small islands and - hidden underwater - was a cave that led you to "The Last Cave" which was miles and miles of empty cave... I always thought of it as like hell but without fire.

And then there was Ascention Island - a bunch of rock steps in the sky that you had to jump from rock to rock to to get to the top - it was tricky but it was a neat little challenge that could keep anyone busy if you were bored.
I make FH movies on YouTube! Be sure to check them out and subscribe at http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx0ehjAstAokZb3BBgs61uA

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 04:22:17 am »
i joined may of 2011 (almost 8 years whoa) and the first thing to point out is that there were so much more people active. this was around when it first started, so it was being advertised on every animal site as being child-friendly like WolfQuest. so of course a lot of kids flocked to it (including me, except i found fh through deviantart instead).

- we all used to spawn in one spot in a tiny map. since this was such a popular game it was kind of hard to get in without getting "bad tokens." the map was incredibly crowded and full of colorful and dark wolves and lions (plus other animals of course, can't forget the horses at the palm tree area)
- there were set places where certain roleplayers would flock to. TLK roleplayers at the "priderock" or just a cliff and a den beside it, the horses at the trees, the mate/adoption/shopping centers in the middle of that map, crocodiles and dolphins at the shore, creepypasta roleplayers in the Ficho Tunnels, and warrior cat roleplayers in Fluorite Plains which is where i spent most of my time.
- maybe around December 2011 Lonely Cave was made to make getting in-game a little easier, along with wings and items (which is why the first item you get is a Christmas hat). a parkour map (Ascension island) was made along with the South pole snow map, Sky's rim (which i'm pretty sure was named after Skyrim lol), Atlantis, and Last cave. roleplayers started to establish their spots. huskies in the snow map, dragons and gryphons in sky's rim, and anime roleplayers in the parkour map. not sure about Atlantis and Last cave, they were pretty vacant.
- you couldn't roar or howl until it was added sometime in july 2011 maybe? i forget.
- other common characters include pup "killers", unborn babies (seriously), k9 units, lewd characters i can't really say here, and more that i'm probably forgetting lol
- Last cave was a really glitchy map which will sometimes kick you out and make you play as another person's character without their knowledge. you could talk to people during this which made it even funnier.
- marking packs were not a thing for a few years, so we had to resort to using the default ones.
- KovuLKD was around and making a facebook game called FeralTales? i think?? i never played it because i was too young for a facebook account lol
- FH+ was a popular expansion that used to be up for download, but was taken down due to a hard drive crash by the creator and probably another reason that i forgot about. it was basically a simple FH HD; mostly containing nicer textures. i think there were new maps too? no idea cuz i never used it.
- there used to be a feather tail for felines but it had to be removed because someone threw a fit about copyright or something. idk
- the community was more eccentric due to being filled with young children. not saying all kids are bad but FH seemed to attract the weirdest kids. you're lucky, i can say that.
- roleplays such as grass, tree, and rock groups were made. yeah.
- a general chat that spanned across the map was in the game and caused chaos sometimes, but was pretty fun overall. it was removed in 2012 or so. as a result people flocked to a stone bridge in Fluorite plains to advertise rps and talk to each other.

i have a lot more but i don't want to make my post too big lol. overall FH was chaotic but really fun back in the day. i kind of miss it but things do change over time ya know.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 04:26:57 am by WolfQueen »

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 04:33:12 am »
Since you're asking the community some questions regarding their thoughts and opinions on the old game, as opposed to seeking assistance for a game-related issue, I'll move your topic over to the "Game Discussion" board.~

The demographic of the earlier days was a bit different than it is now. I think one of the features that many would consider a foundational element of the good times were the original maps, which all held vastly different biomes (and offered a nice slice of everything but also felt jarring to jump from a snow map to a tropical island), but there is a lot of discussion surrounding when exactly the game's "golden age" began and ended. (I'm generally hesitant to view the entirety of Feral Heart's progressive days through rose-colored-glasses, because there are always negative undertones that lurk beneath what it is we're given to see, even when things appear to be going so well.)

I know many players joined at a young age (including myself), and as the years have passed and those people stick around and grow up, the "age" of the population matures, as well. (Not necessarily referring to the quality that is often regarded as a positive attribute-- rather as in the kind of behavior and mannerisms that those individuals exhibit.). Having joined in 2012, I was able to see much of this shift, and even found myself being parts of the changes that occurred. My personal observation from the progressive days of the game is that there was a significant variety in terms of how people interacted within the game-- lots of different and random roleplays (we're talking tree and toilet roleplays xD), multiple little "hub areas" in certain maps that would be populated and universally recognized for both a physical distinction and a sociological one (FNAF and Undertale fans hanged around Ficho Tunnel, Hetalia roleplayers would chill in Ascension Island, and TLK lovers made frequent appearences in Bonfire Island), and of course, the chatting that you can still see in the game, today. A lot of the same things took place then as now, just with a different energy and appeal. I would characterize the earlier times as parading spontaneity (there were lots of different roleplays that would be occurring within a radius and pop up sporadically). This contrasts to more condensed geographic that is prevalent now. The Grounds is what has been adopted as the generalized area where everyone interacts, aside from the fleshed-out roleplays that usually take place into the other maps like Cherika Valley, where users may want to distance themselves from the on-going chatter of the busier areas. The way users interact in-game currently has everyone involved in the same general area, instead of people populating different areas. I would describe the present atmosphere as being patterned-- or otherwise, (positively) consistent and (negatively) monocultured. In quite a few ways, the old "feel" of Feral Heart still lingers around, but it has transformed, as the years have gone by and some people have left, with new players joining.

Yes, there were more players. Feral Heart was a successor to KovuLKD's prior game, Impressive Title, so it already had some buzz going around, which naturally gathered attention for the game's release. (There were so many players attempting to connect to the server on the first day that the server crashed and Raz had to pull it down. cx) As time goes on, numbers go down when new content isn't added and your product isn't updated; that is normal, and for a game like Feral Heart, it became a lengthy process to actually implement changes to the game since the owner did not leave behind the game's source code.

I think what I miss about the old era is the complex and varied interactions, and the energy that went along with it-- albiet, that also brings about a sense of chaos. More wacky stuff means lack of consistency and predictability. In comparison, there are less crazy happenings now in the game, at least on a large scale, but I think that is largely due to the playerbase of the game and the types of mindsets occupied by the individuals who serve as the majority of what you'll see when stepping into a map. You could argue which setup appeals to you more, and I think a lot of it has to do with what you specifically are looking for in a game. Each "age" (previous and present) offer a different commodity to what a player might want in a game-- the earlier times give you a fun world to pretty much walk into something that you hadn't expected to see a minute ago, and the current times give you a chance to listen in to what kind of topics are being talked about and find with people to chill with. (Both "ages" have both qualities, but I would say this is where the "atmosphere" has evolved.)

I sort of took a more broad, people/demographic-centered approach to this topic, since I personally believe one of the greatest influences in the change of dynamic took place within the people who played the game. Other factors contribute to the change, such as the lack of updated after LKD's departure, recreation of the world, etc., but the shift had a gradual effect and could be seen slowly as the years went on. Thus, the defining lines of where the "Golden Era" ended is quite tricky to say-- factors of it still remain, while others were not long to stay. This speaks to me as a change in player dynamic. I think the other comments summarized their points well on this subject. I hope I was able to offer something of value.

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.