Poll

Author Topic: Animal based game in Unity - What species do you want to play?  (Read 3350 times)

Offline Alphabet

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 14
    • View Profile
May 11, 2018

Comment what species you guys would want to play as the most! It can be any species you want. The most popular one I'll work on modelling in both feral and anthro form first and get them put in the game. Maybe I'll try to get a small offline demo out that you guys can mess around with.

So far I have 2 votes for felines and 1 vote for foxes.

As for updates on the game, I ended up recoding the character controller since I guess I wasn't doing it right lol. Now it's using the proper codes for moving around. Yay! Also, a big thanks to Athert for being so kind to help me!

April 09, 2018

I have a discord server where I'll be posting my progress on this game! Please also stick around to have some fun with the other members!

https://discord.gg/yfENexj

April 07, 2018

Well. I'm slowly coding an online game right now and I've been trying to decide what its fate should be. My main problem is that I don't have the money to host a server if it gets big enough. Maybe I can figure something out, but I'm feeling doubtful. My other option would be to sell the source code to you guys.

Before I make a decision, though... What would you prefer to see happen?

Don't sell the source code and keep the game on one server.

While the game itself would be free, it'll include some paid features and a premium membership to help pay for the servers. Keep in mind, this won't take away from the fun of the game! Think of Cereal Soup, if you will. The last I checked, they were doing premium memberships and maybe some other paid stuff (please correct me if I'm wrong). The game itself is still free and you can still have fun playing it with your friends without paying anything at all.

The game's development will follow what I have planned for it. It’ll definitely be more than a simple virtual roleplay/chatroom. There will be more things to keep you entertained, such as kill mobs, collect items, gain skills, do story quests, and possibly more. I would like to go passed what IT and CS are currently, although, I'll be focusing on getting the game caught up with them first (gotta take one step at a time, and I want to be sure everything is working with minimal bugs before I get into bigger stuff).

I most likely will not allow custom content to be inserted into the game (unless it becomes a premium feature), but I wouldn't mind taking some ideas that I like offered from the community and putting them into the game for everyone to enjoy.

Sell the source code of the game so people can make their own server.

You'll be required to pay in order to get your hands on the source code of the game and host it yourself (sorry guys, figured I should try to make a living off of my work somehow). It'll come with a set of default models, animations, textures, maps, and etc. that you can use. If you don’t want to use the default resources, you can always use your own content instead.

Your game will have to be set up inside Unity (I'm using the free version, fyi). But~ I'm making it easy to customize so you won’t need coding knowledge to make edits! I'll try my best to make as much of the game as easily customizable as possible. I will also try to add many optional features that you can choose to include in your game or not. If you want to add new features that the game doesn’t include or entirely change the existing ones, you will have to code that yourself in c#.

Technically, the game you decide to make with this doesn’t need to be limited to animals. You could use humans or anthros instead if you want. But keep in mind, the resources that’ll be included with the source code will be animal based.

Aside from the main details, this option could open up more opportunity for content creators to pour their skills into, like here on FH and on IT servers. Making and selling content you made or taking commissions for custom content is a possibility for you. You also don't actually need the source code to make content. Just the free version of Unity. Really, you would only need the source code to make your own codes.

Disclaimer (not sure why I feel the need to put this here, but oh well):

There is a slim chance I might go another route that I didn't mention. I guess that means this isn't 100% solid... I just need some help thinking about this, so if you have any useful input, I would appreciate it. That includes if you have a third option I could take.

And before I wrap up this post, I ask that you please be respectful of my choice to involve money in my project... I just don't have the time and money to hand you something like this for absolute no cost. I apologize for refusing to do that.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 03:44:00 am by Alphabet »

Offline Valar.Morghulis

• “Sometimes before we can usher in the new, the old must be put to rest.“
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 115
  • The many-faced God.
    • View Profile
Re: Animal based game in Unity [poll]
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 01:34:59 pm »
I don't like the idea of selling the source code.
I think that It's a lot nicer to have one server for the game.
That's just my opinion.
You could technically earn money by doing other things!
Since you're developing a game, that means that you know and understand coding.
You could possibly code other things for people and whatever they need, and earn money that way.

https://linktr.ee/Obsxura
Profile by Cittrus-fruit | Signature by Mistrel-Fox

Offline Alphabet

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 02:14:53 pm »

You could possibly code other things for people and whatever they need, and earn money that way.

I suppose, but I'm nowhere near professional and I prefer to work at my own pace. This project is also helping me learn more and I can take my time to find better ways to code something to avoid bugs. It's not too much of a down side for me, aside from the issue with money, haha... I wouldn't mind hosting the server as long as I'm guaranteed to hardly pay anything out of my pocket, but more often than not that is a fantasy...

I've had another thought to just make it an offline game. I would have to focus more on individual gameplay, though.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 02:21:24 pm by Alphabet »

Offline Alphabet

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 08:33:21 am »
Update:

In the future I might actually be able to host this game myself. My husband is thinking about buying servers and told me he'd be okay with me hosting games on them. By "in the future," I mean possibly a few years from now. Just depends on how soon we can get on our feet financially to buy them and keep up on our bills. The game most likely won't be ready until then anyway.

So. I guess I want to ask you guys what kind of theme I should do. Futuristic? Medieval? Fantastical? Something else? Maybe a mix? Let me know what you'd be interested in.

Offline Valar.Morghulis

• “Sometimes before we can usher in the new, the old must be put to rest.“
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 115
  • The many-faced God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 08:41:47 am »
A mix between fantasy and medieval style sounds really nice! :)

https://linktr.ee/Obsxura
Profile by Cittrus-fruit | Signature by Mistrel-Fox

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 08:53:28 am »
Final fantasy 8 mixed all 3 so...  all 3 are possible?  only limited by your imagination.
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"

Offline Alphabet

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 09:55:47 am »
You have a good point lol. I could try to mix them and see what I come up with.

Offline Alphabet

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 08:54:36 am »
Well, I have a discord server if anyone cares to keep updated on my progress. Feel free to join.

https://discord.gg/yfENexj

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 06:10:48 pm »
Sounds like a pretty cool project you have going here. There will definitely always be some challenges with this kind of thing but I'd say don't go and sell your source straight off. Work on your game and see what you can learn from this experience. I'm pretty sure that if you put all your love and effort into this project people will come to appreciate it and you'll gain yourself a loyal following :) If the players enjoy what you have to offer they will be willing to pay for some reasonably priced extra content and maybe even donate to keep things funded. Start small and see where it goes. I wish you the best! <3

As for theme I know fantasy is a big popular one especially if your game will be animal based, there also are a lot of fans of realism type survival games too.

Goodluck with it! I'd love to see where things go with your project in the future.

Offline Alphabet

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 06:52:12 am »
Thank you, LordSuragaha~! I think I'll try what you suggested. I'd like to see if maybe I can host this game myself.