Author Topic: I plan a robot-themed Impressive Title server, but I've many questions.  (Read 2335 times)

Offline FlyingGrass

• ~🛠 The avant-garde doctor of mechanical beings. 🔧 🔬
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
    • FlyingGrass
    • channel/UCA7RfqQ1KLl4s8JhxIXNs_Q
    • View Profile
    • Mechanicafeles Discord link
I want to create a robot-themed IT server, but I have questions, a lot of questions. I have zero clue as to how to start and run an IT server, but I want to bring my idea to life. I've seen one video

I'll gladly tell you what I plan to put in it, feel free to ask! I could use a team if I decide to go along with creating the server. If I don't decide to create the server, I'd still be glad to see a robot-themed Impressive Title server in existence, so feel free to create one if server hosting isn't possible for me.

1: Must I keep my PC running to host the server? If I have to do that, then is it easy to run a server? Will the server constantly eat my PC while running? I do a whole lot of other gaming on my PC, plus my computer freezes a lot, I simply cannot keep a server running without many abrupt stops.

2: I don't have much coding experience, but I can pick up skills quickly. Is the IT code easy for someone(Me) who's new to code to figure out?

3: How do I create IT maps, items and character creation options?

Idk what else to ask yet, I'll probably ask question after question in the replies.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 08:46:58 pm by FlyingGrass »

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.

Offline Tigg

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Your right hand on 3D-Meshes
    • t-i-g-g
    • channel/UCKuFJTwBJf94Tq07oVBNMrA
    • TiggDarkfury
    • View Profile
    • Isla Thanatos Gameserver
http://www.kitopen.com/ <- has the source code, tutorials and support area.
All you questions can be answered there, cause THERE are all the people hosting IT servers.

If you want to set up an server on your pc: Yes it needs to run 24/7 if you want to make it available all day on every day. Yes it will eat your computers RAM aka it will eat a lot of power if the server gets visited good enough. You probably experience problems when doing anything else on your computer whilst your IT server runs at the same time (if it is well visited by many users).

You need to understand c++ in case to edit the code without breaking any parts. Is not easy in any way and just one single letter set wrong can break the whole code. but as i sed, there are many tutorials for things regarding the code.

maps are made in the game by editing files, items/meshes you would need to make yourself then add them into the game via the source code and also game editing. same with characters.

Best is to just go over to KITO and read through everything as it is already answered there most likely. if you cant find an answer and you make a thread, you get help or directed to the answer if it is already answered in the forum.

Offline FlyingGrass

• Elder Grey Pelt
    • FlyingGrass
    • View Profile
@Tigg

Thank you for your reply!

I'll look through the link you sent, and I'll consider attempting to create the server. I can't keep the server running for very long at all however, and probably can't run the server very often either.

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.

Offline Tigg

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Your right hand on 3D-Meshes
    • t-i-g-g
    • channel/UCKuFJTwBJf94Tq07oVBNMrA
    • TiggDarkfury
    • View Profile
    • Isla Thanatos Gameserver
Is this server a personal thing to play arround then?
Because without the server running no other player can connect to multiplayer and get online in the game.
If you plan to run it for many players then id not do it at all.
If it is just a play-arround and see-what-i-can-do project, then go for it :)

Ps.: If it is a play-arround you dont even need to set up a server on your computer to fiddle arround with stuff and files.

Offline FlyingGrass

• Elder Grey Pelt
    • FlyingGrass
    • View Profile
It's possible for me to play around in my server while the server isn't running? That's more tempting. It'll be something for to play around with/in, as I think my PC can handle only keeping my future server running briefly to play with only a few people at a time.

I wonder how campaigns work, maybe I could set up an IT game that only focuses on the single-player quest.

My presets.

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
It's possible for me to play around in my server while the server isn't running? That's more tempting. It'll be something for to play around with/in, as I think my PC can handle only keeping my future server running briefly to play with only a few people at a time.

I wonder how campaigns work, maybe I could set up an IT game that only focuses on the single-player quest.
if it's a personal server you can just host the server from your computer.
there is a campaign engine which you can implement which allows you to play offline with some limitations. in the current source no campaign files are present so you have to code one yourself. it requires a ton of scripting.

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
I've seen some campaign scripts if you want them to examine & learn to make your own :)
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"

Offline FlyingGrass

• Elder Grey Pelt
    • FlyingGrass
    • View Profile

if it's a personal server you can just host the server from your computer.
there is a campaign engine which you can implement which allows you to play offline with some limitations. in the current source no campaign files are present so you have to code one yourself. it requires a ton of scripting.
I'll have a go at making a campaign someday.

I've seen some campaign scripts if you want them to examine & learn to make your own :)
I'll have a look at them, but how do I avoid making a campaign that runs exactly the same as the campaign the script runs?

My presets.

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
I'll have a look at them, but how do I avoid making a campaign that runs exactly the same as the campaign the script runs?
an old script guide exists but not with the current source on KITO, so i uploaded it for you here.
campaign writing is a neglected feature in the game so there aren't any more guides that are easier to read. you have to learn it yourself. dragon's den has campaigns you can reference off of, but don't copy-paste any of the script because that's against their policy.