Author Topic: International Board  (Read 16141 times)

Offline ThatsNotOk

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • Der Fleischkönig
    • ThatsNotOk
    • View Profile
Re: International Board
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 07:46:56 pm »
If an International Board is made, I do not see such a desperate need to put people in positions of "daycare supervisor"  mini-mod, when really, instead, the act of reporting still exists, in game and in forum. When I see something inappropriate in a biography in game, I report it, privately and in a note to a moderator because I know they fail to check those things despite the nasty stuff people write.

If I were to step into the hypothetical International Board, and I opened a German or French thread, and I saw that spicy slang the staff could not translate, I would link and specify it to a mod. I would offer a translation as to why it is against the rules, and be on my way. I myself would not have to step in and cause a ruckus personally in that ~classique dreaded mini-mod fashion~  It would be just as reports are handled in game.  Even though this may not be assuring, in a healthy group of people, everyone who has read the rules will think "yes, this is reasonable" and know what to do when the rules are observed being broken. Thus, I don't really think I'll be listing anyone to nominate for a potentially unnecessary position quite yet, though I understand your concern. Having existing mods be speakers is a plus, either way.

My final point is that, to have some faith in the kids who would post there. I'm sure a board for players primarily making threads to find their friends in game (or a tutorial on how to install Mass Markings for my poor Quebecois buddy who can't figure out why all the animals are white!) will have slow and manageable activity, and wouldn't instantly become a cesspool. Knowing there ARE existing rules, and people watching regardless of having a shiny badge that means quite nothing, it would be the calmest board on the site.

Finally, I really do like the added bonus idea of adding a language option to the text on the site itself. A drop-down option with a few common languages are enough, and that would translate the log-in page, news screen, home site, and forum. That those foreign players stuck on the game to warm up to the site itself. That would be the very icing on the cake.
This game reminds me of the war.

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2018, 10:50:30 pm »
MIT training wouldn't really be necessary as this would only be a Report and Assist responsibility. The only reason I suggest a board Mini-Mod for each dedicated language populated on said board is for the reassurance to the community and staff that there are specific people who are actively moderating that specific board. They would only have a 'Mini-Mod' title under their name instead of 'Jr. Member' for example. Nothing else too special. It's just a way to say "yes, great, we have these people taking time out of their day to read through new foreign language posts, that is one less thing for us to worry about".

Sure, other members who also speak the same language could also report and assist, but the reassurance of someone having a specific responsibility and daily task is more important than you think. Other than reporting and assisting, these users may also want private help, possibly assisting members who may need/want private help from someone who speaks their language, someone who they can access quick, someone they know is going to actively respond to them just by having this Mini-Mod type title on the board. I can guarantee there won't be as many community helpers as you see on the rest of the forum as there's only a hand full of users who speak a foreign language and primarily use it to communicate with others, like those you will see in Cape.

As for the limit, I feel like putting a limit on languages to begin with would defeat the purpose and make the other languages feel shut out almost, which I don't think all this is about.

I think the term "daycare supervisor" is a little bit of a childish way to put it, as the board wouldn't be a daycare. That's almost like calling the FH Staff the "daycare supervisors" and all the other members are the mindless infants that throw a tantrum and don't know how to listen.

But, hopefully in this post I have made it more clear as to how effective and important assigning Mini-Mods to this kind of board would be. If not I'd be very disappointed.

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
maybe this'll be a more consistent thing
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2018, 11:05:10 pm »
If an International Board is made, I do not see such a desperate need to put people in positions of "daycare supervisor"  mini-mod, when really, instead, the act of reporting still exists, in game and in forum. When I see something inappropriate in a biography in game, I report it, privately and in a note to a moderator because I know they fail to check those things despite the nasty stuff people write.

If I were to step into the hypothetical International Board, and I opened a German or French thread, and I saw that spicy slang the staff could not translate, I would link and specify it to a mod. I would offer a translation as to why it is against the rules, and be on my way. I myself would not have to step in and cause a ruckus personally in that ~classique dreaded mini-mod fashion~  It would be just as reports are handled in game.  Even though this may not be assuring, in a healthy group of people, everyone who has read the rules will think "yes, this is reasonable" and know what to do when the rules are observed being broken. Thus, I don't really think I'll be listing anyone to nominate for a potentially unnecessary position quite yet, though I understand your concern. Having existing mods be speakers is a plus, either way.

This.
All of this.
Just this.

Have a little faith in this community. For the most part, it can self-moderate better than most.

In-game I've seen people break rules, and after a simple 'hey, might wanna cut that out. s'against rules' everything clears up.
If it continues, you just quietly send in a report detailing what happens and go about with your day.

The only difference this would have to anything else is that it's not in English.

This forum has also had a long-overdue need to foreign tutorials, since basically all of the ones readily available on the website are exclusively in English.
Granted, following it picture by picture isn't too difficult.

MIT training wouldn't really be necessary as this would only be a Report and Assist responsibility. The only reason I suggest a board Mini-Mod for each dedicated language populated on said board is for the reassurance to the community and staff that there are specific people who are actively moderating that specific board. They would only have a 'Mini-Mod' title under their name instead of 'Jr. Member' for example. Nothing else too special. It's just a way to say "yes, great, we have these people taking time out of their day to read through new foreign language posts, that is one less thing for us to worry about".

I was more-so making a comparison to how normal staff are selected. That is the only reason I brought up MITs.

As for the limit, I feel like putting a limit on languages to begin with would defeat the purpose and make the other languages feel shut out almost, which I don't think all this is about.

I'm just trying to find a compromise, since having everything go hither and yon would obviously put a massive burden on the already not terribly large Staff team.
If such a compromise is not necessary, then, hey, it isn't necessary.

I think the term "daycare supervisor" is a little bit of a childish way to put it, as the board wouldn't be a daycare. That's almost like calling the FH Staff the "daycare supervisors" and all the other members are the mindless infants that throw a tantrum and don't know how to listen.

I think it that was a joke, fam. Although to be fair that is what it's starting to sound like.
The community wouldn't fall apart if there were no Mini-Mods, it'd just be more tedious for this sort of thing. They are most certainly useful and I'm not against having those for this kind of board.

But again - Have a little faith in this playerbase. They may surprise you with how well they can keep each other in check.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2018, 11:16:13 pm »
I'm not saying I don't have faith xD People self-moderate all the time, people say things like "hey, might wanna cut that out. s'against rules", all the time. I am just saying people who aren't native English speakers might feel some comfort in knowing there is someone they can communicate with in their own language. Someone they can rely on to give them straight answers or private assistance if necessary, as it does happen. As well as being a reliable foreign language moderator of sorts for a specific language in that board.

Maybe have a little faith in me, as well, because I wouldn't be bringing all this up if I didn't think it was necessary to have.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 11:18:56 pm by Bawfle »

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2018, 11:21:32 pm »
I'm not saying I don't have faith xD People self-moderate all the time, people say things like "hey, might wanna cut that out. s'against rules", all the time. I am just saying people who aren't native English speakers might feel some comfort in knowing there is someone they can communicate with in their own language. Someone they can rely on to give them straight answers or private assistance if necessary, as it does happen. As well as being a reliable foreign language moderator of sorts for a specific language in that board.

Maybe have a little faith in me, as well, because I wouldn't be bringing all this up if I didn't think it was necessary to have.
I ain't disagreein with you here either - I think a form of moderation is necessary.

I'm saying it can be done, and that we should at the very least try. Look and see how it turns out.

feral_cast.fhm

Offline ThatsNotOk

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • Der Fleischkönig
    • ThatsNotOk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2018, 12:05:26 am »
At the very end of the day, the concerns of keeping this board clean are valid. Still, I think the benefits of a multilingual board outweigh they upkeep. That's why I'm hesitant to shoot it down over a problem that's small and easy to fix. This game and forum have been in need of foreign support for a long time anyways.

"I think the term "daycare supervisor" is a little bit of a childish way to put it, as the board wouldn't be a daycare. That's almost like calling the FH Staff the "daycare supervisors" and all the other members are the mindless infants that throw a tantrum and don't know how to listen."

I'm sorry that joke flew over like that. It was meant as seriousness, I wasn't meaning for it to sound like I was stomping the players. If anything, as Jango_Fett has said, it's quite the opposite. With the recent panic around "Oh no, Feralheart could never be trusted to run on its own!" (ei. the No-Mod October implosion) I was wary, since that may have caused an aversion to "self checking" around here. That, and, traditionally when I think "mini-mod" I think of the more negative connotation of the term, which is usually discouraged by most games and their forums because it's... Unclassy.

While I still don't think a whole new title and rank and special position -- "Language Mod" or whatever the like -- there are already good bilingual members of the community, as well as a few already in mod positions. Initially, the traffic of the board would be very slow, anyways, so I'd hope it would add almost nothing to their existing workload.
This game reminds me of the war.

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2018, 12:43:57 am »
I'm sorry that joke flew over like that. It was meant as seriousness, I wasn't meaning for it to sound like I was stomping the players. If anything, as Jango_Fett has said, it's quite the opposite. With the recent panic around "Oh no, Feralheart could never be trusted to run on its own!" (ei. the No-Mod October implosion) I was wary, since that may have caused an aversion to "self checking" around here. That, and, traditionally when I think "mini-mod" I think of the more negative connotation of the term, which is usually discouraged by most games and their forums because it's... Unclassy.

FeralHeart is one of the only places I can think of where the term 'mini-mod' isn't automatically a bad thing.
Everywhere else it's an insult. Kinda funny, really.

While I still don't think a whole new title and rank and special position -- "Language Mod" or whatever the like -- there are already good bilingual members of the community, as well as a few already in mod positions. Initially, the traffic of the board would be very slow, anyways, so I'd hope it would add almost nothing to their existing workload.

additional plus - this may attract new players/people to this community/game. By having an entire section of the forum dedicated to those who aren't 100% Englishman, it would attract people who initially shyed away because they didn't have an understanding of what was going on. Or at least, not a very concise understanding.
Among other things, a new way of having new people try out the game is more than healthy enough for this community, and I believe it to be incredibly necessary.

although it may add a tiny bit extra onto the workload of Staff, it would be well worth it if it breathes new life into FeralHeart.

feral_cast.fhm

Offline FellSilence

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2018, 02:18:26 am »
Over the years that Ive played this game, and over the years of living as someone who isnt a native english speaker, I know for sure an international board would make a lot of players more comfortable.

I remember there use to be many more kids who spoke something other than English running around, but slowly that number has been dwindling, and I know its because a lot of players get mocked for speaking their native language :/
thats why a lot of my friends kept leaving this game until most of them are only the ones that are perfectly fluent.

People make fun of you if your English sucks, and that doesnt really encourage you to learn it more. Some kids will suck it up and try harder, trying to ignore people who bully you for it, but a lot of other kids give up after a while.
Theyll also make jokes or get mad at you if you speak anything but english, even when youre just asking a friend what a word meant because you dont know it yet.

These things together means theres less and less kids who feel comfortable interacting with others.

Ive met a lot of kids who had terrible english and got very happy when they found another person who can speak polish. Often theyre happy even if you badly google translate everything, like some chinese kid i met who spoke absolutely no english besides 'does anyone speak mandarin : ( ', because its better than nothing and shows you wont be mean to them over how they talk and shows you actually care enough to figure out what theyre saying.

ppl are like 'oh but well need new mods!!' except you can report/flag stuff still.

slowly we can find new mods that specifically watch over those boards anyway, it will just take some time and effort. but this way im sure there will be 1. more players, 2. more kids that dont feel awkward just trying to say hello and join a new roleplay. Especially since theres much fewer 'illiterate' roleplays recently, making it even harder for non english speakers to join a rp and practice getting better.

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2018, 02:26:43 am »
at this point so i don't end up repeating myself i have to ask
are staff looking at this/even considering it?

because there's obviously more people than just the OP and myself that think this is not only a good idea, but a necessary one.
i've even been talking to other players recently who've seen this thread and come up to me personally thanking me for trying to push this onto the ballot.

so how about it, staff?

feral_cast.fhm

Offline Bawfle

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2018, 08:35:59 pm »
My support toward the idea has been pushed in a more positive direction now it has been discussed further. However, I stand by all the necessary things I feel are required for this board. In the end it all depends on the success of finding these said Foreign Language Mini-Mods for the board in particular if Staff agreed to assigning specific people for each language that is likely to be used there.

If Staff do agree with the board idea, I'm sure they will make it clear that an idea has been approved of and whether or not it would need further development and planning before being released. It is the Holiday and New Year seasons so I imagine they are only attending to the things that require their out most attention, like their In-Game and PM/Report activity.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 08:40:48 pm by Bawfle »