Poll

Should English be the only allowed language in General chat?

Yes, English only.
64 (67.4%)
No, any language should be allowed.
31 (32.6%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Author Topic: Language Rule  (Read 24984 times)

Offline Lupaparva

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Language Rule
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2011, 11:36:31 pm »
I did not mean to judge it and only wanted to explain my opinion by pointing this out.
I am sorry if that sounded offending. That "racism" thing I heared one time to much on the internet and now I am maybe a bit... sensitive to that. Again, I am sorry if I was unfair.

And I noticed that most of the commenters voted for English-only, but I don't think that this is only a result of thinking just about people who use it as their main language.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 11:40:25 pm by Lupaparva »

Offline spirit333

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Spidyman c:
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2011, 12:14:53 am »
Yes, I'm sensitive to racism aswell, as I'm spanish and have darker skin. So I get racist comments a lot.

Offline Lupaparva

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2011, 12:28:26 am »
So I am not very gentle sometimes, you are not offended now, we both have our different opinions and everything is fine, right? :)
Maybe I just let myself got carried away. Sometimes I don't seem to find the edge of how much I can say without insulting someone.

Offline spirit333

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Spidyman c:
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2011, 12:35:54 am »
Yep everything is fine ^^ We're just giving our opinions. I too get carried away when someone just TALKS about racism.. :/ Like I said, I do get a lot of it, so I'm sensitive toward it. 
And yes, same, sometimes I say something that doesn't SEEM insulting. But it is. Not that you we're! <-- It's just something that I sometimes do :/

belladona

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2011, 11:29:00 pm »
ok honestly i'm not up for the allowing all language because it really does spam chat but i know english also mostly spam i can certainly agree with the diff language server it would be easy for everyone i think

Khloe

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2011, 07:07:44 pm »
I think english only because some foreign people could be talking inappropiate to each other or about others and the Mod wouldn't know. They could try and sell something to somebody or try and scam them and the mod might not know. I have no problem with any other language I just think it should just be english so the Mods can monitor everyone who is talking.

Also it doesn't matter what language, spam should be monitored and be on the down low.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 07:09:22 pm by Khloe »

Offline Definition

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2011, 03:38:23 pm »
I am the only one so far voting any language. :-\

I believe any language should be allowed. It's anyone's fault that they can't speak English, it's not fair. If you get annoyed, TURN GENERAL OFF. Some people think it spams up the the chat, I disagree.

Spam (Verb):
"Send the same message indiscriminately to (large numbers of recipients) on the Internet."

Being such, I believe it's not spam. They are simply talking.

I know almost everyone will disagree, but this is my opinion.
^ agreed.

But it isn't just about being annoying, it is about mods understanding what is going on. How can they do their jobs properly is they can't understand what is being said? I believe FH should be English in General chat because that is what the mods speak.

Well if moderators don't understand, then what are the chances of other english-speaking people will ? If you can't understand, how do you know it's bad or good? Let's say I join a game where the majority of people speak Laotian, and I wanted to play and chat. I could say something simple such as, "how do you jump and play?". Then out of no where I get banned/kicked for chatting in english. I can read the rules, but how can I understand it? What if the line, " No language other than Laotian only in chat" was translated incorrectly to, "Any language allowed in chat but no Laotian".

I think banning someone just because you don't know what they're saying is ridiculous.

I think english only because some foreign people could be talking inappropiate to each other or about others and the Mod wouldn't know. They could try and sell something to somebody or try and scam them and the mod might not know. I have no problem with any other language I just think it should just be english so the Mods can monitor everyone who is talking.

Also it doesn't matter what language, spam should be monitored and be on the down low.

Good point. But any language is allowed in local, how come not general? This could happen in local as well. We're pretty much limiting freedom of speech here. But that's just my opinion.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 03:42:54 pm by Defined »

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2011, 04:50:01 pm »
I'm not sure where I should stand in this to be honest but I did think I made a few things clear in earlier posts though.

But aye, before using "freedom of speech" as a point.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech

I've even seen people smart talking back to mods when they got warned or kicked because of them swearing or using another language, sometimes even both in the chats, saying they're free to say as they like because of freedom of speech. This just reminded me that it's not there to let people break the rules, especially if people sign up to the site/game under the given agreements and terms. Even though seeing this as a limitation of freedom of speech, it is a long shot to me.

If you play a sport, you follow the rules for it but you also joined it as a volunteer, no one forced anyone here.(sorry to trail of the subject a lil just the swearing reminded me)

People are free to think and say the things they want, but even though I'm not sure I love the only english in general rule I'm not sure if freedom of speech is a valid point why it shouldn't be there.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline Definition

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2011, 09:55:58 pm »
I'm not sure where I should stand in this to be honest but I did think I made a few things clear in earlier posts though.

My apologies, I didn't bother to thoroughly read long pages of posts before I made my own. x3

I agree that moderators have the right of kicking/banning someone if they broke the rules, but that's not what I meant by freedom of speech.

Not allowing someone to speak in General because of their language, thus preventing them from speaking is what I meant to imply by limiting speech. I know playing FH is totally voluntary, but seems unfair to me the game kicks people because of the native language they were born with. Again, a wee bit off topic, but, if I entered a barrio (region where most/all people speak Spanish -- Spain has a lot of these) of my own free will, for let's say tourism, how would I respond if some the authorities said they had to kick me out because I couldn't speak Spanish? Now, that's totally from different if I were to be screaming obscene swears and being smartass with the authorities. I know, this comparison is totally different from our FH discussion, but just an example of the similar scenario.

Hope you understand what I'm saying. Now I have a question; why is any language allowed in Local but not in General? I understand that General can reach all parts of a map and Local is limited, but either way people can still hear and see what anyone is saying in both chats. Say I'm standing next to  Russian speaking people in Local. I don't understand anything they're saying, good or bad, so what's the difference if the whole map sees?

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2011, 11:19:33 pm »
for let's say tourism, how would I respond if some the authorities said they had to kick me out because I couldn't speak Spanish? Now, that's totally from different if I were to be screaming obscene swears and being smartass with the authorities. I know, this comparison is totally different from our FH discussion, but just an example of the similar scenario.
I really think I do understand what you mean by this, it's a good way to put it. We could probably make a similar one the other way around though.

(This might sound odd but arr..)Lets say you lost your bike on a semester in another country in which the most people do not speak your language and clearly doesn't understand it. Would it be a good idea to go to a smaller nailboard to put up a "missing" paper about your bike that covers up other lost kittens and what not, even though those reading probably wont understand what it means in the first place xD

It works to play around with this if you have to really.

The reason I'd say any language is allowed in local is because people should be able to speak in the game I'd say, restricting people from talking any other lang than english in local as well would be completely crazy. To be really honest I'm not the best one to ask either. But I think the reason why this was brought up in the first place was because people in this community pointed it out, of course I can be wrong. One thing I do admit must be a plus with everyone speak English on the general chat is that it's easier to see if someone would be swearing or using foul language since it's English only, and that the users in the chat easily can understand each other and communicate if you join the subjects there. The chats are as we know them, very limited and has 6 chat functions in one window. General chat has always been a problem to me :/.

I got a tendency of getting into these subjects any ways, it's a lil right now like I can't make up which Icecream flavour is the best when 2 people thinking differently asks about opinions. xD

I really see how it can be seen as unfair here, but also why it can be positive.
Former community manager of FeralHeart