Author Topic: Game crashes when i try to change the mask name (Map Maker)  (Read 3612 times)

Offline aryana100

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
    • iuliathewolf
    • /c/Ritsukii
    • View Profile
Game crashes when i try to change the mask name (Map Maker)
« on: March 22, 2020, 06:08:29 pm »
So i wanted to try again doing a map (the last time it didn't wroked and i gave up)

(I used Paint Tool Sai)
So i did the terrain like that and i named it BorkTerrain.png

And the mask (i named it BorkMask.png)

I saved them in FeralHeart>>Media>>Terrains, when i opened the map maker and i writed the terrain name in the World selection it didn't crashed the game but when i clicked to change the mask name it, it crashed

l3irdie

Re: Game crashes when i try to change the mask name (Map Maker)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 06:42:39 pm »
There is an issue with loading up that mask, is the map's size ratio the same as the terrain (513x513), make sure the alpha channel in your program is off?
If all else fails, maybe try and remake it on one layer if it's not already. Sometimes the masks can be a little too finnicky.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 06:44:38 pm by l3irdie »

Offline aryana100

• Dedicated Supporter
    • iuliathewolf
    • /c/Ritsukii
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 06:59:21 pm »
The size of the map and mask is 513x513 and my program doesn't have alpha channel

Offline VortexAlive

• Eevee Knight
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 180
  • A wild floof has appeared!
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • View Profile
    • VortexAlive is Rawrsome
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 11:12:29 pm »
Are you absolutely sure they are 513x513? It looks like they are two different sizes from what I can see here. You can also copy the images to GIMP and save them there to be sure it's not just SAI being goofy.
For the sake of my own health and interests, I've left FH and I won't be looking back.

Offline Likuu

• -- strawberry banana
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 65
  • 𝑜𝓇𝒸𝒽𝒾𝒹
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 02:07:41 am »
Is the gray border around the mask apart of the mask? If so, recommend changing it to like a rgb (red, green, blue) color rather than gray. (not entirely sure if the gray would cause any issues for the mask but just a suggestion to try!)

Like Vortex said, it does indeed look like the sizing may be off for the Mask as well, maybe try making a new blank "mask" and setting the size to 513x513 and name it something different from "BorkMask.png" then export.

If none of that helps, maybe try changing it from .png to .jpg and see if that could help?

Also be sure to double check if you happen to have layers that they are all merged into one layer and not separate as I've had issues where my mask has crashed due to there being layers when I export! (can simply hide them or merge them either works!)

~ Hope this helps some!!
artwork by dehvina

Offline aryana100

• Dedicated Supporter
    • iuliathewolf
    • /c/Ritsukii
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 10:18:55 am »
Are you absolutely sure they are 513x513? It looks like they are two different sizes from what I can see here. You can also copy the images to GIMP and save them there to be sure it's not just SAI being goofy.

They are screenshots that's why the size isn't 513x513, i will try again with gimp (i uninstalled it that's why i used another program)

Offline aryana100

• Dedicated Supporter
    • iuliathewolf
    • /c/Ritsukii
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 11:32:04 am »
These are the originaly

And here they're size

Offline VortexAlive

• Eevee Knight
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 180
  • A wild floof has appeared!
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • View Profile
    • VortexAlive is Rawrsome
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 01:46:41 pm »
My apologies, Aryana, I did not know. xD

Though with that out of the way, there must be something going on when it's saving them or a small thing that's gone unnoticed that would cause this. An example would be that SAI could be saving transparency where there is none, which you'd need to change the bit depth of the file to fix. The heightmap should have an 8-bit channel meaning there is only 1 value saved, and the mask should have a 24-bit channel and not 32-bit which would include a 4th value for transparency.

I'd recommend having a look here: https://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=57751.msg789556#msg789556
here: https://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=51619.msg700957#msg700957
and here: https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_depth
for a better understanding of why it may not be working as expected.

From what I understand, SAI doesn't have a "Grayscale Mode" which is what would save the heightmap image as 8-bit instead of as if it were RGB with 24 or 32-bit.

Hope this helps at least a little!
...and sorry if it's too much tech talk. xD
For the sake of my own health and interests, I've left FH and I won't be looking back.

Offline aryana100

• Dedicated Supporter
    • iuliathewolf
    • /c/Ritsukii
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 02:10:14 pm »
So i tryed to do the mask in gimp and i removed the alpha channel and now i named the terrain "MapTerrain" and the mask "MaTerrainMask" and they are png, it still doing the same thing

SpicyDirt

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 02:19:26 pm »
Do you happen to have any transparent parts in the mask? If you use a bucket fill tool then it will leave some transparent pieces behind that are not always seen.