Author Topic: Cannot Start FH without it Crashing - RESOLVED  (Read 1219 times)

Overclocked

Cannot Start FH without it Crashing - RESOLVED
« on: July 25, 2019, 03:35:31 pm »
I reset my entire laptop last night to clean it out, etc. etc. Well, today I install FH, I don't have any mods or any prior files due to the reset, and I can't even really open the game. When I click on the application (I've tried the game inside the FH file and the shortcut) it opens the command prompt thing (y'know the thing that opens right before FH?) then it opens the FH screen, however this screen is black and only stays open for probably 3 - 5 seconds before crashing.

What I have already done to try to fix the issue:
  = I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game at least 4 times
  = I've deleted all old files before any re-installation of the game
  = I have tried both the shortcut on my desktop as well as the application inside the FeralHeart folder, so I know the shortcut is not an issue.

Each time the game crashes the next time I try to open it, it shows the Ogre settings menu that shows the rendering subsystems, I noticed that I only have OpenGL Rendering Subsystem for me to use, I can't really remember if this was normal or not, but I figured I'd say so just in case.

I had to install DirectX with the game when I first installed it, because of the reset I guess it got rid of this.

The game was working completely fine before the reset, I had basically no issues with it whatsoever.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 05:44:47 pm by Overclocked »

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot Start FH without it Crashing
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 03:56:16 pm »
Try opening your ogre.cfg file in your FeralHeart folder and replacing the coding in there with this:

Code: [Select]
Render System=Direct3D9 Rendering Subsystem
[OpenGL Rendering Subsystem]
Colour Depth=32
Display Frequency=N/A
FSAA=0
Full Screen=No
RTT Preferred Mode=FBO
VSync=No
VSync Interval=1
Video Mode=1024 x 768
sRGB Gamma Conversion=No
[Direct3D9 Rendering Subsystem]
Allow NVPerfHUD=No
FSAA=None
Floating-point mode=Fastest
Full Screen=No
VSync=No
Video Mode=1024 x 768 @ 32-bit colour
sRGB Gamma Conversion=No

Then save the file and relaunch the game. It might work, it might not, but we might as well test it.

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline Bloo.

• Space-Child ✌
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 191
  • nyoom
    • Bloopaloozer
    • Bloopalooza FH
    • aLittleProzium
    • Bloopalooza
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 04:01:36 pm »
The first thing I'd try is manually setting it to open with Direct. I'll provide a screenshot on how to do this!

First you'll want to find your ogre.cfg file in the main FH folder. Double click to open it and open it with Notepad!
At the very top it will tell you what your game is opening with, you simply have to change it to Direct.
Render System=Direct3D9 Rendering Subsystem

Save the file and then try to restart your game.

If this doesn't work, I'd suggest reinstalling the game but naming the main FH file FeralHeart 1.17. Have the game install there instead of the default named "FeralHeart"

You are amazing <3

Overclocked

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 04:27:40 pm »
So i tried the first solution, and it didn't work. Then I did the second one and it still didn't work. But once I combined both solutions the game decided to work. HOWEVER, for some reason I now have extremely low FPS.

EDIT -

I also noticed that the command prompt for FH doesn't seem to be putting anything inside it as it once did, should I be concerned about this?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 04:31:50 pm by Overclocked »

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 05:32:45 pm »
I guess you can try this. I know you've said you have already uninstalled the game several times, but if you follow my steps just to I know you're doing it correctly.

Go to Local Disk (C:) and delete the FeralHeart folder entirely. Once you have done this, uninstall the game from your control panel. After this is done, go to the downloads page and get a new FH 1.17 setup, then re-install the game.

If this still doesn't work, I guess you could try launching the game as an administrator by right clicking the game icon and selecting "Run as Administrator".

If that fails, try right clicking the game icon and follow these steps.... Properties \\ Compatibility \\ Tick "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" \\ then select the most recent compatibility mode. If it doesn't work, try a different compatibility mode such as an XP compatibility mode. This seems to have worked before, it might work for you. Be sure to select "Apply" before trying to launch the game.

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Overclocked

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 05:44:29 pm »
Ah I managed to fix the issue before I saw your post, sorry Bawfle. Apparently I just needed a Windows update when it came to the low FPS. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS!

Offline Bloo.

• Space-Child ✌
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 191
  • nyoom
    • Bloopaloozer
    • Bloopalooza FH
    • aLittleProzium
    • Bloopalooza
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Re: Cannot Start FH without it Crashing - RESOLVED
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 05:55:44 pm »
I'll be locking this up now~

Glad you were able to find a solution! Thanks for the help, Buff!

You are amazing <3