Help & Guidance > Mapping Tutorials

Custom moons!? [TUTORIAL]

(1/2) > >>

Kastilla:
Have you ever wanted a rainbow moon? Or perhaps you'd like a special celestial body within you map's sky? Read ahead as I instruct how to:

Customize your default moon
Add a special moon into your map using the Sky Maker

Custom Default Moon
This is similar to above, but with some coding. Well, it's more copy-and-paste! Then again, that's what coding is sometimes... anyway!
I have decided I don't want the Earth's moon, I want Saturn! So I go to a royalty-free image site, such as Flickr, and find a nice image of Saturn. I like it, so I will use it.

So, I have opened it up in GIMP...problem is, it is a bit big compared to FH's moon.

I crop it and scale it down smaller.

Now that we finally have our soon-to-be moon image, we will save it to our My_Objects folder. I named it my_saturn.png. Since I already have a custom moon in this folder, I have the material file set up. All you have to do is make your own material file (Make a new notepad document and replace the .txt abbreviation to .material.) and copy this code into it, changing the text in white to the name of your image/name of your material:

--- Quote ---material my_saturn
{
   receive_shadows off
   technique
   {
      pass
      {
         lighting off
         depth_write off
         scene_blend add
         fog_override true

texture_unit
         {
            texture my_saturn.PNG
         }
      }
   }
}
--- End quote ---

Once you have it saved, open up FeralHeart and go to your Sky Maker. Once in your Sky Maker, scroll down and select Moon. This is where you color the moon, but also you can change the material!

Input your new material and wha-lah! It's a saturn-moon!

(which you can also still color!)

IMPORTANT LINKS
GIMP - Free Image Manipulator
60 Royalty-Free Image Sites Free of Charge

And I believe that is it to show you! If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :)

~ Wolfie

LadySigyn:
Ooh I love this little tutorial! Making custom moons have always fascinated me, and this is super helpful! Thank you for creating this and sharing it with us! I'm sure it'll come in handy to many users!

Kahbloom:
This is SO COOL. I knew how to edit my moon for me to see in-game but I didn't know about the map-specific part! Oh my gosh! That's such a cool feature. thank you!

Valar.Morghulis:
This is such a great tutorial, I am sure many people will love it and use it! I absolutely love customizing the game and playing with random textures that are in game too! Oh and I might download GIMP from your link because yours is pretty in black, mine is just white xD Got a little bit old tbh! +floof ❤

Flurr:
Ooh, what a cool tutorial! It's always pretty neat it can do stuff like that. I've always wondered how to do that! Overall, Thanks for this tutorial wolvie! +floof :D!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version