Author Topic: Mapmaking issues- can't get any heightmap to load.  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Fallingfeather

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
Mapmaking issues- can't get any heightmap to load.
« on: June 17, 2019, 10:05:48 pm »
Hello!
I decided to try mapmaking again, and I'm meeting a lot of frustrations!
I've opened up the default mapmaking file, and I'm trying to upload a very basic heightmap. It's 513x513, made on firealpaca, with saturation cranked all the way down to 0. However, every time I type it's file name into the map maker, it crashes! Are there any settings I could have wrong? Also, where am I meant to be putting the height map? I'm afraid the map making guide on the feral heart website seems to be a little out of date- I've gone to the folders it references, and they don't have the images it makes reference too.

Any assistance is appreciated!

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
Re: Mapmaking issues- can't get any heightmap to load.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 10:10:35 pm »
Ensure that it's saved as a .png and that there is no alpha channel (even if there is no transparency in the heightmap, having this setting on will cause crashing). The file must be saved as only one layer too
Farewell everyone<3

Offline Fallingfeather

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 10:26:04 pm »
I can do that. Is it only GIMP that can remove the alpha channel though? Or can SAI or Krita do it? I'd hate to have to download a completely new program just for map making. :/ Also; where do I put the image files when I'm done?

Offline Astraea

• ❤ Positivity ❤
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 186
  • previously esarosa
    • Esar0sa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 10:33:53 pm »
I can do that. Is it only GIMP that can remove the alpha channel though? Or can SAI or Krita do it? I'd hate to have to download a completely new program just for map making. :/ Also; where do I put the image files when I'm done?

SAI unfortunately does not have the ability to make height maps because it does not support gray scale. :c Photoshop and GIMP are the most popular applications used I believe. I don't know which specific other applications are able to remove it but Photoshop should be able to.

When you are done with a height map export it as Kerriki stated to FeralHeart > media > terrains.
not active here anymore ♡