Bring it back?

Yes
30 (71.4%)
No
4 (9.5%)
Undecided/Neutral
8 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Bringing Back General Chat?  (Read 8055 times)

Offline Ame88

• ❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄ Winter is a .' - ` , ' - . ` timeless ' , ` - '. ` , - ' . season. - ', - ` , ' - . ` , Everything ' , ` - . ' , ` . freezes. `_,_'_-_._`_,_-
  • Admin
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 216
  • Yeah I believe in Bigfoot. Nessi and Kovu too!
    • Ame88thewolf
    • View Profile
Re: Bringing Back General Chat?
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 11:57:50 pm »
I apologize if I seemed aggressive, I understand where you're coming from. It can indeed feel repetitive at times, such is the nature of long-standing discussions. =)

Thank you. I understand how topics such as this are very repetitive, which is fine and I have no issues with that. However when it goes on for so long while the same conclusions, reasons and so forth are presented and elaborated time and time again, that's when it starts getting old.

- the party chat comment wasn’t directed at you.

That's alright, in return it allowed me to better explain my stance on it.

This is my best suggestion with this seeing as I'm rather middle of the road with putting it back in or keeping it out. As I've said in the past, due to the nature that General Chat is, and with everything that could go right or wrong with it, the only real way to tell if it'll do well, with everything good and bad that's been said about it, is if you put it back into the game and see how it does. If it does great and everyone likes it, no issues, then that's great. If it does well but has some issues, possibly those issues will open up different ways to change it and make it better. If it doesn't do well, then either find a way to change it to see how it works, or once again remove it all together. Any decision on the matter is fine by me.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 11:59:43 pm by Ame88 »

Profile picture by Telluric
Thank you ;u;
Bio | My Creations
Renegade Row | FeralHeart Resort

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2019, 12:05:06 am »
I've read through the responses of this thread and understand most of the thoughts and concerns around this topic.

I will be honest in saying that I do miss General chat, and I don't see why we shouldn't bring it back. It did have its pros and cons, but I never saw it has too much of a bad place to chat with people. Yes, there were people who did abuse it by posting spam, trolling, and bring some questionable topics into the chat. I've even seen hostility go down in General in the past, but it would sort out either with the users blocking one another or a moderator stepping in to handle the situation.
Isn't it like this with local chat too? Let's face it, things like this can occur in any chat within this game. There will always be people who will try to spoil things for everyone, but it's up to us as individuals to act accordingly to handle these situations.

Some say they don't want General Chat back because people will abuse it by spamming, trolling, breaking rules, younger players "not knowing better", etc. There are solutions for most of those problems. Back in the old days, if someone were to spam in General, I would just BLOCK that user temporarily, or I would turn General chat off. That block button, and the options to turn off certain chat channels are there for a reason. If someone were breaking the rules in General chat by swearing or bringing up a topic that has no place in the game, I would either BLOCK them or REPORT them, if necessary. The moderators were not always around to see these rule breakers, so it was up to us the players to send in a report so they could be dealt with. Don't we do the same things for Local chat too? If we see someone spamming, trolling, in local chat, we would do the same thing, right? How would General be any different? A moderator is not going to be around 24/7. That's just a fact of life. When they're not around, it's up to us to report any rule breakers and bring it to the attention of the staff.

For those who brought up the concern of younger or newer players not knowing how to use General chat, why not teach them? That's what happened when I was a new player here. The more experienced players taught me of the different chats and how to use them.

I don't see why we can't have General Chat back. As others have said, most other MMO games have these kind of chats for a reason, so why can't we have it again? Yes, it had pros and cons, but it's the same with any other chat game. It's just up to us the players on how we handle the situations we come across.

In any case it would be nice to have General Chat back.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 12:15:50 am by Lady_Alizarin »
Inactive

Offline yourlocalcrow

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 43
  • they/them
    • View Profile
    • my deviantArt
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 12:28:12 am »
Before I add anything, I'd like to preface and say that I joined a year after general's removal, so I don't think I can give a really accurate input on the whole "does the game need it or just want it really badly" debate. But I will say that we shouldn't level this at the staff, as Kerriki said they have also been pushing for it.

Instead, let's direct them to Raz. Because at the end of the day, he makes the final decision, and he's the only one who has the answers to all our questions (even if he doesn't want to answer them).

And if we get ignored, well, actions certainly do speak volumes, and we may just have to finally let the discussion die.

Offline Azurain

• 🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃
  • Member Of The Season
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 183
  • an actual forest gremlin
    • lark-bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 12:36:47 am »
I'm not going to type a few paragraphs here explaining why general chat should return. In fact, I believe the game needs it to return. I've wanted it back for a long time now. I've come here to clarify a common misconception instead...

The majority of staff have at one point or another expressed wanting general's return; so why hasn't it? Raz does not find our (or anyone's) concerns/arguments valid. I ask that you turn to him, and not us, because for a long time now the staff haven't been the ones against it

Before I add anything, I'd like to preface and say that I joined a year after general's removal, so I don't think I can give a really accurate input on the whole "does the game need it or just want it really badly" debate. But I will say that we shouldn't level this at the staff, as Kerriki said they have also been pushing for it.

Instead, let's direct them to Raz. Because at the end of the day, he makes the final decision, and he's the only one who has the answers to all our questions (even if he doesn't want to answer them).

And if we get ignored, well, actions certainly do speak volumes, and we may just have to finally let the discussion die.

IF at this point the staff have gotten nowhere with Raz on general, and the fact he is hardly responding at all except with what he did yesterday on Jango's post, maybe that in itself is an answer and exactly what Lemon said, we should just let the discussion die.

Why does everyone keep beating a dead horse over it? I admit, I would like to experience it. I myself have even made a thread on the matter. But it's the same with every thread about bringing General back. It is mostly ignored cause Raz could care less about what we want on the matter.

Kerriki is right on the matter that....he really doesn't care what the community wants. And the sad thing is, we just have to accept that. And just keep going. Discussions are great and all, but we're obviously getting nowhere with it.

Offline Ame88

• ❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄ Winter is a .' - ` , ' - . ` timeless ' , ` - '. ` , - ' . season. - ', - ` , ' - . ` , Everything ' , ` - . ' , ` . freezes. `_,_'_-_._`_,_-
  • Admin
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 216
  • Yeah I believe in Bigfoot. Nessi and Kovu too!
    • Ame88thewolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2019, 12:59:35 am »
I'm not going to type a few paragraphs here explaining why general chat should return. In fact, I believe the game needs it to return. I've wanted it back for a long time now. I've come here to clarify a common misconception instead...

The majority of staff have at one point or another expressed wanting general's return; so why hasn't it? Raz does not find our (or anyone's) concerns/arguments valid. I ask that you turn to him, and not us, because for a long time now the staff haven't been the ones against it

IF at this point the staff have gotten nowhere with Raz on general, and the fact he is hardly responding at all except with what he did yesterday on Jango's post, maybe that in itself is an answer and exactly what Lemon said, we should just let the discussion die.

Why does everyone keep beating a dead horse over it? I admit, I would like to experience it. I myself have even made a thread on the matter. But it's the same with every thread about bringing General back. It is mostly ignored cause Raz could care less about what we want on the matter.

Kerriki is right on the matter that....he really doesn't care what the community wants. And the sad thing is, we just have to accept that. And just keep going. Discussions are great and all, but we're obviously getting nowhere with it.

Pretty much sums up what I was trying to say, simplified and very easily read, aside from the suggestion that I threw out there. This has been brought up time and time again, and at every turn it fails. The only person that could ever change this is Raz it seems. What I've said to someone in PM is that, Raz holds the final say on this. You can tell by what he does and how he reacts he's gotten this thrown at him so many times, and yet every time he's stuck to his guns. It's clear he's not going to budge. So at this point, it's best we leave it be. Maybe sometime in the future he would be willing to agree to put it back into the game, but that's merely just a highly unlikely thought.

Profile picture by Telluric
Thank you ;u;
Bio | My Creations
Renegade Row | FeralHeart Resort

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2019, 01:40:11 am »

we literally just kickstarted the conversation again in the past two months.
quitting because of a vague thread lock is
dumb.
speaking for raz and assuming his stance on things is also dumb.
sure, you could turn his whole thing of 'actions speak louder than words' into saying maybe he doesn't and that's why he won't add a global chat

but i'm not, personally.

just because the going gets tough doesn't mean you should give up.

hella disappointed in the 'let it die' attitude. especially since this is normally a community that sticks through it all and perseveres through whatever is thrown at it.
kinda weird.

im pretty sure most of this wasn't being leveled at staff either, but was moreso put out because last one got yeet.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Azurain

• 🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃
  • Member Of The Season
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 183
  • an actual forest gremlin
    • lark-bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2019, 02:06:31 am »
Not "speaking for Raz" or "Assuming his stance" at all. Everyone has seen for themselves how he feels about it.

Maybe we should have have a new approach. Something he would approve of as well.

Offline Likuu

• -- strawberry banana
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 65
  • 𝑜𝓇𝒸𝒽𝒾𝒹
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2019, 02:14:27 am »
I'm going to say what I think and how I feel about a lot of things as bluntly as possible.

FeralHeart is dying, and even considered already "dead" by a lot of members as well. As a community we all have an deserve the right to speak on things and discuss them together as anybody would discuss politics IRL. This game needs any and everything it can get to attract new and old members.
Sure General Chat may have been a PAIN in the butt to keep up with, but as many people have said.. there are solutions to control it and keep it from getting out of hand. Every MMO needs a chat to be able to chat throughout the map, we have a way to turn it off, we have a way to block people, and we have a way to REPORT people? So why don't we use it?

Even STAFF agree that it should return, so why shouldn't it?

I'm not entirely sure what "Actions speak volumes" was suppose to mean, considering.. A lot of members in-game have chilled out a lot over the years, everyone is older now. Of course there are those few random newbies who get a little out of control, but it's easy to manage, it is easy to fix. Point these members in the direction of the rules, kick them temporarily so they learn. If so many members are asking for it's return, why can't we give it a test run and see how that goes?

I could go on and say more but it seems everyone has covered it. This game is almost entirely dead and if we don't do something to get new and old members in, we might as well just be killing it off ourselves.
artwork by dehvina

AlphaEclipse

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2019, 02:25:59 am »
Not going to reply to everything mentioned but I will say I respectfully, but strongly, disagree with some various statements from the opposition. I am, however, delighted both sides have responded and are actively conversing (even if it's to say stop discussing General... hehe).

This... This is what bugs me. We shouldn't have to accept that, as angsty and rebellious as it may sound. In order to maintain a respectable reputation, Feralheart's heads should be prepared to take in ideas from the outside and elaborate on them.

Feralheart does not have any room to suddenly make a breakthrough (mainly because the creator is absent, as we all know—not going to get into this) so even these discussions that may seem irrelevant 'in the big scheme of things' are serious, as they have the potential to drive away long-time members—something FH desperate needs to maintain any sort of reliable fan base. Massive MMOs can afford to lose an amount of older, trusted members, but FH cannot without taking a serious hit in regards to moving forward. This harkens back to why I remade this thread initially—I wanted to maintain the idea that we are free to discuss our ideas and opinions.

Calvary

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2019, 02:32:58 am »
There is something I learned in Communications a long while ago, and I think it does apply to this situation. This is all I will really say on the rest of this matter, and something I know we all lack, as much as you want to admit it or not. Alpha is right, this may not be in the big scheme of things, but obstacles like these have a potential to make us argue and ruin things for us in the long run.

Now,

There is a large difference between compromise and collaboration.

Compromise is an avoidance tactic. We, right now, are compromising our needs for something else. Backing down is a compromise, but compromise will never be a good thing. Fighting, arguing, and bickering, is never a good thing. That is all I see from everyone right now. Just a bunch of people arguing over wanting the same exact thing.

When the going gets tough, we as a community all start pointing fingers. "Raz did this," "She did that," and "They did this."
That's what's going on right now, and there is honestly no reason. From ANYONE. We all want the same thing, but we all have a different way or different opinion on how to approach it, so why are we arguing exactly?

We are all compromising, when we should be collaborating. Working with each other, because we all want the same thing, not working against each other because our opinions on how to solve it are different. Collaboration is putting those differing ideas together, and making something new. Instead of bickering with each other, take a step back, and explore the options you have to collaborate. No one here is insane, and no one here is out to hurt anyone. We all want the best for the game, just different ideas on how to make the best of it, and that's where we start arguing. We honestly stop looking at the end goal, and bicker over the obstacle currently in front of us. If you really want to help this game thrive, and if you really want to help at all, you will stop arguing over who is right and wrong, and start collaborating on what we can do to help each other over an obstacle.

We are too busy focusing on who is the enemy, too much to a point where we forget that there's truly no enemy in the first place, just an obstacle we have to help each other get over. Remember that.