Author Topic: What is even the point of member of the season?  (Read 6062 times)

Valar.Morghulis

Re: What is even the point of member of the season?
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 08:36:32 pm »
Once again, the admins are not the ones that determine who wins and who doesn't. And if you look, a lot of the current nominations now are the few people that ARE active. If anything, you can always nominate who you think is deserving of the title as long as they meet the requirements.
Like I said I may not understand the whole thing even though I try to vote each time because why not, tell me then, when the poll is up to nominate is there an option for "other"? Because I never seen that option and that is what leads me to think it may be slightly unfair, hopefully that explains what I mean a bit better. If there is in fact an option for "other" and you can comment on who you think should get nominated, then it is fair.

But what's the point of the option 'Other'? It wouldn't make any sense

Offline ShadowMT13

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • I gave up on this FH since I was let down...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 08:40:18 pm »
I doubt they list everyone who is active in the poll since there is a limit to how many options you can add. The point of an option "other" would be if you did not want to choose from the members listed by the admins in the poll and instead you could just select "other" and then state who they are and why you think they deserve to be nominated. If you are voting for people to be a certain thing or get a certain title and it is not a serious thing then you should add an option that is "other".

Valar.Morghulis

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 08:42:20 pm »
I doubt they list everyone who is active in the poll since there is a limit to how many options you can add. The point of an option "other" would be if you did not want to choose from the members listed by the admins in the poll and instead you could just select other and then state who they are and why you think they deserve to be nominated. If you are voting for people to be a certain thing or get a certain title and it is not a serious thing then you should add an option that is "other".

But this list is not created by the admins? People of the community first chose who are the possible MOTS nominees and after that (after the due date) is the actual voting. So the people that are in the poll are the people who are nominated to be MOTS

Offline ShadowMT13

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 08:45:35 pm »
Okay so then how is it created? because I looked into it but I hardly get around to nominate someone and so my understanding of the nominating system is hazy. Most of the time I don't visit the forums in time to actually nominate and I usually just vote for winners.

Valar.Morghulis

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 08:50:12 pm »
Okay so then how is it created? because I looked into it but I hardly get around to nominate someone and so my understanding of the nominating system is hazy. Most of the time I don't visit the forums in time to actually nominate and I usually just vote for winners.

Alright so this is how it works;

First, we pick nominees for MOTS title. That is what's happening right now. Each nominated member needs to get 3 votes in order to get nominated as member of the season. Once you get 3 votes from other people you are on the list for possible MOTS. After that, after 25th (I'm pretty sure that's the due date) all nominated members get put in a poll where every member of the community can give their vote to one of them. And 3 people who get most votes are picked as members of the season

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 08:54:38 pm »
I think there are a few areas that may need a bit of clarifying in regards to how the Member of the Season works. I'll try to explain. c:

There are three stages when it comes to how a MOTS is chosen:

The first stage is "Nominations," where the community (not the admins) select whom they want to be nominated, out of a guideline that is provided by the staff team. The guideline was created to create fairness instead of violating it. How so, you may ask? ^^ If we take one guideline, there is a rule that you cannot vote for anyone in the same IP range as yourself--this was added because in the past, we have had members who nominated their own alternate accounts in attempt to give them a better chance of winning. To prevent that, we included that rule. There is another rule that requires someone to be above 25 posts, as this helps us ensure that the nominated person has at least played for a while and isn't a side account made to increase winning chances. The guidelines are staff-made, in order to create fairness, but we do not choose who is nomintated: that is entirely your choice. Staff will sometimes nominate a user, but we're not the main factor in choosing who is nominated.

The second stage is "Voting." Once the Nominations have ended and we see who has been nominated the most, in order to be considered a "Qualified "Member" (they have to be nominated three times). We then take all of the Qualified Members and put them into a poll that the community votes for. I believe there may have been some confusion regarding the "other" option, if you have only participated in the "Voting" stage. At the Voting stage, you can indeed only choose from the list, but the community is the one who makes that list.

The last stage is the "Winners," in which staff reviews the highest voted members and compiles that into the Winners thread. Staff are not required to vote unless there is a tie that needs to be broken. (Once the poll has ended, you can view for yourself the outcome of the votes.)

As mentioned above, sometimes a staff member will vote on the Nominations thread, but we aren't the ones choosing the winners. The point of Members of the Season is so that there is a little fun activity on the forum that gives a little recognition to the users who have been helpful and friendly over the season. It's a community-chosen outcome. c:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:58:00 pm by Warriorstrike »

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 11:14:02 pm »
Tbh it seems like the same people get MOTS over and over again without anyone new coming to the table.
I know this community is small and the active member population on the forum is much smaller but this comes of as clique-y.
I think there should be a rule in which someone who's nominated MOTS once doesn't get it for another year. This allows for new people to fill in.

Offline Azurain

• 🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃
  • Member Of The Season
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 183
  • an actual forest gremlin
    • lark-bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 11:33:56 pm »
Tbh it seems like the same people get MOTS over and over again without anyone new coming to the table.
I know this community is small and the active member population on the forum is much smaller but this comes of as clique-y.
I think there should be a rule in which someone who's nominated MOTS once doesn't get it for another year. This allows for new people to fill in.

The problem with that is the fact that there just AREN'T any new members. Yet. As of now, if that rule ever got put in,
 nobody would get nominated. Or not enough for three people to run. And even back in the days before the rule got put in that people couldn't be nominated if they were the current MOTS, back when the forums were a bit more active, we didn't really see that problem.

Really the only reason why we're getting so many people being picked again and again is because they're the only ones that have stuck around to help. There really aren't a lot of new options. Once the new patch comes out that may change and freshen things up again in terms of MOTS.

Offline ShadowMT13

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 02:17:46 am »

Seems like we share the same type of view, I agree even though I did not think of that specifically, how I felt about it is on the same terms as you. I do feel like the people are repetitive with who can be chosen. Though thankfully Warriorstrike explained the system to me and now I understand it better, though the idea with a person only being able to get it once a year or every other season at least is a good one and could help other members that don't seem to ever get chosen to have a chance! I like your suggestion a lot.

PocketMutt

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 09:25:17 am »