Author Topic: FeralHeart crashing: Windows 10  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Morqque

• A Positive Nihilist
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 123
  • In the shadow of the light from a black sun
    • View Profile
FeralHeart crashing: Windows 10
« on: January 28, 2020, 12:09:19 am »
I recently updated my desktop to Windows 10 and installed FeralHeart on it.
Each time I try to open the game, it shows the black screen (after the cmd) and then crashes. No typical Kovuworks logo or anything. Just black, then crash.
The ogre prompt sometimes shows up but only has Open option, not Direct.
This is the first time I've encountered this issue with FH on any system running Win10.

I've tried searching through previous help threads and nothing seems to work.
(It isn't my Antivirus and reinstalling doesn't help)
I do think my drivers are all up to date, but if not - which driver would effect it?

Does anyone know of a solution?

(PC model: Inspirion 560
*Previously running Windows 7)

Note: I am having some issues with downloading security updates, if that possibly has any effect on applications
Discord does work properly, however.
DirectX IS installed, too.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 12:23:45 am by Morqque »

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
Re: FeralHeart crashing: Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 08:51:03 am »
It does sound like the 'random duplicated particle" glitch.
But i like to blame windows 10 because i'm displeased with it.

(So i would suggest win7, if i knew where to get it these days.  But i can't so..)
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"

Offline LadySigyn

• Let me guess... someone stole your sweetroll?
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 10:30:20 am »
Found these casual solutions in case one of them might be affecting the game.

This is a message you can get while changing maps and entering portals in the game.

• Flipping through tabs can sometimes cause the game to randomly crash or when you have too many programs open at the same time while running FeralHeart.
  • You can also set your own preferences inside the options menu inside the game.
    Turn off water reflection, set your view distance to 0 and turn off name tags (you can always turn on name tags after you manage to get in the map).
  • Perhaps you've installed content such as mods, markings, items, and/or textures improperly or they themselves are causing errors.
  • Make sure there's no security software blocking the game.
  • Your computer doesn’t handle the game well due to graphics card issues and you'll have to update your graphic card drivers.
  • Check if you have any double particles.
    Go to C:/FeralHeart/media/particles and search for any .particle file ending with _0, _1, _2, _3, etc. Make sure to delete them.

I also found this

I don't know much about Windows 10, but my suggestion would be to dig around and adjust a few things. You may want to consider getting a new anti-virus program that is more suited to Windows 10, since the update may have changed things around a bit.

Other than that I only saw that DirectX has problems installing, but you said you've already got that covered.

Let us know how you go!

Offline Morqque

• A Positive Nihilist
  • Community Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 08:08:00 pm »
Found these casual solutions in case one of them might be affecting the game.

This is a message you can get while changing maps and entering portals in the game.

• Flipping through tabs can sometimes cause the game to randomly crash or when you have too many programs open at the same time while running FeralHeart.
  • You can also set your own preferences inside the options menu inside the game.
    Turn off water reflection, set your view distance to 0 and turn off name tags (you can always turn on name tags after you manage to get in the map).
  • Perhaps you've installed content such as mods, markings, items, and/or textures improperly or they themselves are causing errors.
  • Make sure there's no security software blocking the game.
  • Your computer doesn’t handle the game well due to graphics card issues and you'll have to update your graphic card drivers.
  • Check if you have any double particles.
    Go to C:/FeralHeart/media/particles and search for any .particle file ending with _0, _1, _2, _3, etc. Make sure to delete them.

I also found this

I don't know much about Windows 10, but my suggestion would be to dig around and adjust a few things. You may want to consider getting a new anti-virus program that is more suited to Windows 10, since the update may have changed things around a bit.

Other than that I only saw that DirectX has problems installing, but you said you've already got that covered.

Let us know how you go!

Neither of these worked. I even reinstalled and installed after updating my graphics card, restarted PC
and the same issue happens. No add-ons installed or anything. I can't do a lot of the options because the game doesn't start up whatsoever. It's just a quick black screen then immediately closes. I checked for duplicate particles and there weren't any. I'm running Malwarebytes with Windows Defender disabled so it is not my
Antivirus at all.

Offline LadySigyn

• Community Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 09:10:42 pm »
Hmm okay. Idk if this'll make a difference but perhaps try this:

As you can see, this is the Ogre.cfg file that is located in the main FeralHeart directory. Simply right-click to open with Notepad (unless you already have it specified to open these files in Notepad). Change the top Render System=Direct3D9 Rendering Subsystem to Render System=OpenGL Rendering Subsystem.

Offline Morqque

• A Positive Nihilist
  • Community Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 10:35:40 pm »
Hmm okay. Idk if this'll make a difference but perhaps try this:

As you can see, this is the Ogre.cfg file that is located in the main FeralHeart directory. Simply right-click to open with Notepad (unless you already have it specified to open these files in Notepad). Change the top Render System=Direct3D9 Rendering Subsystem to Render System=OpenGL Rendering Subsystem.

I tried this and it worked :0
Though, it opens in Direct3D9 but never in OpenGL
That's perfectly fine, yeah?

*Edit: I have to change that input through the .cfg file each time I turn the PC on, it doesnt stick nor save even if I do
click "Save"
Also, it is either Direct3D9 or OpenGL, never both of them like normal (on the ogre startup screen)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 10:45:32 pm by Morqque »

Offline LadySigyn

• Community Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 10:55:35 pm »
Direct3D is what I run mine on and what runs the best. When it opens up, maybe just switch the rendering system through the FH menu from Direct3D to OpenGL and then back to Direct3D, and then restart the game, just to see if that makes it stick. I’m unsure of what’s causing it to go back to OpenGL like that. I’m glad it’s working though.

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 11:02:41 pm »
Also, it is either Direct3D9 or OpenGL, never both of them like normal (on the ogre startup screen)

Mine does this as well sometimes.

If it's not working on OpenGL it's probably your graphics drivers. Whatever brand is for your graphics card (Nvidia or AMD) go look up what drivers you need for your graphics card. If you have Nvidia, GeForce Experience automatically looks for the right drivers for you. That or you can find the right graphics drivers here if you know the model #:
https://www.geforce.com/drivers

I'm not familiar with AMD but here is a faq that should help guide you in the right direction to look for AMD drivers:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-131

If you don't know your graphics card brand/model, in Windows 10 you can go to
Settings >> System >> Display >> Advanced Display Settings >> Display Adapter properties
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline Morqque

• A Positive Nihilist
  • Community Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 08:59:59 pm »
Nevermind about the Ogre startup, lol.
It's working 100 percent now

Thank you guys! :D

Offline Ame88

• ❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄ Winter is a .' - ` , ' - . ` timeless ' , ` - '. ` , - ' . season. - ', - ` , ' - . ` , Everything ' , ` - . ' , ` . freezes. `_,_'_-_._`_,_-
  • Admin
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 216
  • Yeah I believe in Bigfoot. Nessi and Kovu too!
    • Ame88thewolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 10:43:05 pm »
So glad you got everything working! Thank you everyone for your help =) I'll be locking this now~

Profile picture by Telluric
Thank you ;u;
Bio | My Creations
Renegade Row | FeralHeart Resort