Author Topic: Fixed Registration Times + Maybe the Return of General  (Read 7659 times)

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
Re: Fixed Registration Times + Maybe the Return of General
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 10:25:25 pm »
I totally support changing the registration system to what Flight Rising does. I find it much more convenient.

General should come back and I agree with all of your points. Tbh it wasn't even that bad back in the day except for the frequent arguments, which could've been prevented. Spamming was uncommon too. Besides, I think the community behaves a lot more nicer than it did in 2012-13 due to the smaller player population and with expected behavior established in the community.

Offline Insoholic

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 152
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 12:07:55 am »
Bump.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 01:04:17 am by Moontwist »

Signature art by Kynvuu

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 05:42:06 pm »
I totally support changing the registration system to what Flight Rising does. I find it much more convenient.

General should come back and I agree with all of your points. Tbh it wasn't even that bad back in the day except for the frequent arguments, which could've been prevented. Spamming was uncommon too. Besides, I think the community behaves a lot more nicer than it did in 2012-13 due to the smaller player population and with expected behavior established in the community.

Basically this.

The old excuse of the playerbase being too big for it I think is invalid, especially since now it's incredibly small.
Not to mention with all the self-policing going on, it's a wonder the Mods need to do much. No insult meant.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Azurain

• 🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃
  • Member Of The Season
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 183
  • an actual forest gremlin
    • lark-bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 04:11:22 am »
Honestly all that needs to happen is people need to start making reports instead of just letting it happen. That would basically solve a lot of the issue right then and there.

Offline kewlkiera

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • kewlkiera.exe has stopped working
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 06:00:46 pm »
I agree with all of this.
I am one of the few FH "veterans" who has been around since 2012-ish (I can't recall exactly, but I've been here a long time).
There are a few questions that arise that there are new members who have been around since general chat has been already taken out, and so it would be odd. While I agree with this, you may be forgetting of another form that it's still accessible: Private maps.
While you're unable to use General in public maps such as The Grounds, being taken by your roleplay group to their downloaded maps still allow you to use it. So it's not like it's totally foreign for those who haven't been around at the original time when General Chat was still available everywhere else.
Would General chat be misused again at the cost of it being re-open? There's no avoiding that. But we can't forget that even today in The Grounds there are a few people every now and then who think it's amusing to make inappropriate remarks. Keep in mind that in the long run of being in The Grounds, everyone is sitting around the vicinity of its entrance so that they might hear the odd small talk or person that tries to do things the old-fashioned way and advertise in Local. So really, it's not that much of a difference as to if General was still around. Yes, you can turn off General chat, but do one better for everyone else: Get into the habit of cracking down on it and gather those screenshots for reports so that those types of events can be avoided. I really think that's one of the biggest overlooked issues that would follow General's return because 85% of the time I see "Just turn off General" instead of legitimately dealing and potentially fixing the problem long-term. We'd need to protect its vitalness of advertising and keeping in touch with others across the map to avoid lag by assisting to help keep the trolls out of it. Prove that we can handle that it's back. Don't just avoid it!

As for fixed registration times, I believe that, even for a time of "experimenting" with this, would be beneficial. There have been a lot of disputes in the past about whether or not the community is smaller, but if you look realistically at the top of the "Home" page as to how many people are online, there's no argument. There were days when FH reached over 600 people online. Now, at the most, I see 350-450 on average. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's generally around that number now.
It's true that eventually all communities, like it or not, eventually begin to die off. That's just being realistic. We cannot deny this. People grow older. Most of those who were teenagers or early adults back in 2011-2012 times are long gone now, but that doesn't mean there's still an opportunity to keep it alive for the sake of a game that we truly love. We must always bear an open mind and think of both the long-term benefits and downfalls, especially if the community that you've built voices a generalized opinion on how they'd act on it. Game updates could definitely help, sure, but we can't forget about the big picture and what really keeps a game alive: Dedicated and new players alike.

Just my thoughts on this. c:
Apologies this reply was a bit late - I got caught up in finishing college stuff and then job hunting.

Offline Admirer

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • Vee/Vivi/Viv
    • Omphvee
    • Tripodal
    • omphvee
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 07:35:05 pm »
I think both ideas are pretty rad! I've read a little into the whole General thing and if possible, maybe the staff could train some more mods and have some watch over that subforum if it was prone to trolling. General subforums are usually a mess to begin with but from experience on another site, the mods that roam that part of the forum are usually pretty troll too (just within reason and the rules.)

Also, I play FlightRising a little and I agree that the registration system they use is pretty good. It'd be a good thing to implement.

signature and icon by me | current characters: Admirer (PLEASE SAY HELLO IF YOU SEE ME!)
my Steam

Offline Gelid__

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • formerly known as 'GelidGel'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2018, 05:45:09 am »
Honestly? I'd love it if both of those were implemented. As someone who once spent an entire week out of their summer to mess up my sleeping schedule so I could obsessively check the registration, I feel like getting rid of the sporadic openings would only be beneficial in the long run for the sake of keeping our community alive.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 05:48:49 am by sleepy_gel »

Offline Valar.Morghulis

• “Sometimes before we can usher in the new, the old must be put to rest.“
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 115
  • The many-faced God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2018, 10:31:15 am »
I agree with all of this!
Recently so many users (I feel like It’s more than few months ago to be honest) have been begging for the registration to be opened, whether It’s full time or certain time exactly. Hopefully with the new update, some of these things will come too! Especially General chat. I agree with everyone who said that there are trolls no matter what you do. I’ve seen people in local trolling and fighting few days ago, nothing different from what could happen in general chat. The rules are very simple, if you break them, someone WILL report you. And that’s it. We can’t run away from spammers and trollers because they’re gonna be here no matter what you do. Unless you remove all chats which obviously won’t happen because It’s ridiculous lol.

https://linktr.ee/Obsxura
Profile by Cittrus-fruit | Signature by Mistrel-Fox

Offline Giorno

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Ground Control to Major Tom;
    • midnightPepsi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018, 01:17:01 am »
I don't want to sound melodramatic but I believe that unless something is done about the registration time FH might not be able to stay afloat for much longer. There is no faster way to alienate a potential new wave of younger players that would breathe fresh air into the game than make them wait for an arbitrary time. I mean, let's be honest, most kids (and people in general) aren't that patient.

Now I'm not saying do away with closed registration entirely, as I understand it would put a lot of unnecessary stress on the server, but as stated, a schedule like Flight Rising might be a good solution. Even if it's open for only 1 day of the month (though arguably the sheer number of accounts being made in a single day might overwhelm the site and potentially break it, which would be a problem in and of its own), at least that would be a better alternative than leaving it up to the RNG.

I can't quite put my finger on why, but seeing 100+ guests at any given time and only around 10 members online makes me pretty sad, if not also hopeful for the future of the game.
Sorry for the rant but as someone who first joined in 2012 and got to experience FeralHeart in its prime it's fairly upsetting to see it like this.

As for general, I believe it should be brought back but it's not a top priority, i.e. something the game desperately needs.
I remember being quite disappointed when it was removed as more often than not I would end up making more friends on general than local chat (going up to people "in person" can be quite intimidating). I get the need for moderating the chat more closely, but a troll can just as easily mess with people in local as they could in general. It feels a bit like the pros of having a general chat outweigh the cons, to be honest.

whew, talk about being late to the party. sorry for the wall of text everyone

[BIO] -x- // [DISCORD] filthy mccree main#1781

Offline Nephrite

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
    • nephriite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2018, 07:15:02 pm »
Gosh I support both of these ideas so much!!

FeralHeart is much quieter these days than it used to be when I first joined in like 2012, which makes me sad!! There used to be on average twice as many people as there are now, mostly because I think FH’s userbase is growing up and either losing interest in the game or simply don’t have time any more. I’d love to see some new members come in, maybe after the new patch! I think I saw somewhere that there would in fact be more open registration after the new patch was added but I’m not positive. 

I’d also love to see General come back!!! I used to make so many friends through General and it was a lot easier to use for adversities groups. I think FH has matured a lot since the days when it was removed.