Author Topic: Fixed Registration Times + Maybe the Return of General  (Read 7583 times)

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
Re: Fixed Registration Times + Maybe the Return of General
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2018, 08:04:46 am »
As someone who spent on average 8 hours a day watching the chats in FH back in the day when General chat was a thing, I can safely inform everyone here that a lot more bad situations were discussed and rubbed in peoples faces openly, I can also inform that the community didn't behave any better. General was a ticking time bomb all the time. Even less fun when you'd get a hard time from players because of the things that went down inside of it, when you tried your hardest for it not to be that terrible

General chat's design is just not there, and it should've had some sort of limit to how people could post from day one at least, such as a 5 minute cooldown so it's easier to follow and manage, and keep people from spamming worldwide messages that aren't needed for it. The most shame I feel for it was the advertising for roleplays or events and how they lost the ability to do so, but I don't really feel anything for those doing random chatter in it or spamming smiley faces, counting to 100, screaming about how their dog farted or how much they hate justin beiber, all happening several times a day.

General chat is cool sure, great tool also, has it's place in FH it does too, but not the way it worked back then.

Registration on the other hand is quite important nowadays as we do not have the same influx of users that needs to managed properly, and we do need to let the new players in on the action too. I do believe registration has started to open more frequently, but if that's enough I'm not sure of.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline Azurain

• 🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃
  • Member Of The Season
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 183
  • an actual forest gremlin
    • lark-bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2018, 04:33:55 pm »
That actually made me curious Red, is there a way to actually put a timer on general or no? I actually never thought of a "slow mode" if you will, on General. If that's possible...that would actually be an amazing idea?

Ratel

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2018, 05:03:20 pm »
Sadly, no matter if Gen comes back, once more people start joining FH again, it'll be miss-used once again. Back when there was about 500 players online it was pretty hectic to say the least- I agree with it being taken out due to this reason.

And with regarding registration, if you guys notice like I have it's open multiple times a day, and even though it may not seem like it- I see a bunch of new-comers every day.
I just wish the log-in page was more accessible, honestly because it might be confusing for new players.

Offline Azurain

• 🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃
  • Member Of The Season
  • Elder Grey Pelt
    • lark-bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2018, 05:08:32 pm »
Yeah I've been seeing it's open more often. That's a really nice heckin thing. And honestly yeah, I can see how General could be hard. I wasn't around when it was in game but from what I heard from many players it was difficult to watch and moderate.

Offline Astraea

• ❤ Positivity ❤
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 186
  • previously esarosa
    • Esar0sa
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2018, 06:01:45 pm »
As someone who spent on average 8 hours a day watching the chats in FH back in the day when General chat was a thing, I can safely inform everyone here that a lot more bad situations were discussed and rubbed in peoples faces openly, I can also inform that the community didn't behave any better. General was a ticking time bomb all the time. Even less fun when you'd get a hard time from players because of the things that went down inside of it, when you tried your hardest for it not to be that terrible

General chat's design is just not there, and it should've had some sort of limit to how people could post from day one at least, such as a 5 minute cooldown so it's easier to follow and manage, and keep people from spamming worldwide messages that aren't needed for it. The most shame I feel for it was the advertising for roleplays or events and how they lost the ability to do so, but I don't really feel anything for those doing random chatter in it or spamming smiley faces, counting to 100, screaming about how their dog farted or how much they hate justin beiber, all happening several times a day.

General chat is cool sure, great tool also, has it's place in FH it does too, but not the way it worked back then.

Registration on the other hand is quite important nowadays as we do not have the same influx of users that needs to managed properly, and we do need to let the new players in on the action too. I do believe registration has started to open more frequently, but if that's enough I'm not sure of.

Yeah I've been seeing it's open more often. That's a really nice heckin thing. And honestly yeah, I can see how General could be hard. I wasn't around when it was in game but from what I heard from many players it was difficult to watch and moderate.

As what Red had stated, he's right.

Back in the days there were loads of people and trying to monitor that chat was nearly impossible. Even for me reading it when I had been online, it moved so fast and I could barely keep up. THOUGH, implementing a cooldown for general chat might have been just what it needed to work in the past. Who knows. The idea sounds great though and if there was a way to code it in, and if the idea came up, giving it a try back in the day might have worked out better. I can understand completely why it was removed in the first place, though that's for sure.

As for registration, I haven't noticed a difference because I don't keep track of it. From what others say though, it sounds to be opening more frequently? If that is the case, great! It's about time. I hope those who have the chance can join, finally. <3
not active here anymore ♡

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2018, 06:13:49 pm »
The most shame I feel for it was the advertising for roleplays or events and how they lost the ability to do so, but I don't really feel anything for those doing random chatter in it or spamming smiley faces, counting to 100, screaming about how their dog farted or how much they hate justin beiber, all happening several times a day.
THAT MADE ME GIGGLESNORT oh 2012

i enjoyed general and it's chaotic moments to be completely honest. i was an annoying kid back then so idk if i could now.

general was very useful in a gigantic map like fluorite, but now since the maps are much smaller it's usage would be limited. i don't mind having random chatter throughout the map, so i believe general should've split into two chats if it was possible. i know it isn't at this point so i agree with the cooldown idea. it'll reduce a lot of the chaos and make some space for group and event advertisement.

Offline Azurain

• 🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃
  • Member Of The Season
  • Elder Grey Pelt
    • lark-bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2018, 06:26:29 pm »
Another thing we can take into consideration though...back then there would be 500+ players online right? Well...these days we hardly get over 200. Maybe it would be better now? Could always just test it at least and see how it works.

Calvary

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2018, 07:12:09 pm »
I’d have to agree with Azura. Nowadays we have roughly 200-300 in the community, and I feel general chat would be a lot easier to manage.

Perhaps it would be more helpful if you assigned a certain few to watch the chat to make sure it doesn’t get out of hand. Perhaps setting a limit to how many posts people can make in general chat in a certain amount of time could also help with that. Nowadays, it’ll be easier to manage. However, opening registration could probably raise our member count and general could get a bit hectic, but it doesn’t hurt to do it!

Ratel

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2018, 07:34:33 pm »
I’d have to agree with Azura. Nowadays we have roughly 200-300 in the community, and I feel general chat would be a lot easier to manage.

Perhaps it would be more helpful if you assigned a certain few to watch the chat to make sure it doesn’t get out of hand. Perhaps setting a limit to how many posts people can make in general chat in a certain amount of time could also help with that. Nowadays, it’ll be easier to manage. However, opening registration could probably raise our member count and general could get a bit hectic, but it doesn’t hurt to do it!

Regardless if we had it back or not the same issues will arise with people miss-using Gen again, there may be 200-300 but what if we start getting more members and maybe 800 a day, it will not work and it's impossible to manage all that on multiple maps- the only outcome i can see it working is if we have a timer on the chat, which I don't know is possible to implement.

Offline G4RG0YLE

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 170
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2018, 07:41:55 pm »
Bringing back the General chat will make the typical 200-300 user activity nowadays to dramatically rise to 600-700, perhaps a little bit more/less than that. Which would end up making it much more difficult to observe and take appropriate actions from, whether it's reporting or Staff kicking and banning. A lot of users left due to the removal of General chat, so it's return would only bring back numerous people.

I also think that any limiting of messages being delivered into chats by users would have been implemented a long time ago, to prevent spam. Especially movie clip spamming as that is the biggest issue currently, with the occasional user who'll spam "          " throughout the entire chatbox for no known reason.

However, I do agree that the Registration times should be increased or more varied.

© short ' cakes on Discord ♡