Author Topic: Help Section Suggestion  (Read 2798 times)

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
Help Section Suggestion
« on: September 15, 2012, 01:38:05 pm »
I visit the help section of the forum very often whenever I can to check up on what posts have & haven't been answered so I can help whoever has not received an answer yet and sometimes I notice entire posts that have more than 10 replies but the person still has not had their question answered. Often the last reply was that person still begging for help. I think its most people's tendency to over look the posts that have several replies to get to the help posts that only have 0 or 1-2 replies and when they do this some posts that have 10 or more replies but still no answer are over looked. It's more helpful to know which posts have been answered when the person who posted the question renames their topic "Solved" after. The only thing is not everyone does this... So my suggestion is the same way we have this message over old topics:

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 20 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

There should be some way to add a message like that when a person is in the process of creating a new post in the help section. The message should say something that reminds the person to rename their topic as solved once its been answered or unsolved if it hasn't been yet. I think this would make the help part of the forum work even more efficiently than it already does. (Anyway give me your opinions on this guys :) )
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 02:06:29 pm by LordSuragaha »

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
Re: Help Section Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 04:25:25 pm »
Well as long as the message goes it's not possible.

However we got the suggestion before of putting "(Solved)" In all the subjects of the threads that in fact gotten solved, this was discussed by the staff, they wanted to give it a shot, but as it appears no one barely does it, works for a few days then the mods loose their interest on checking up on which threads that are in fact solved, and those who aren't.

Mainly because a majority of the members completely ignore if there's a post about the same matter that they want to talk about. The pay out/benefits of doing this solved thing doesn't appear to be big enough on a larger scale, and to be honest, 90% of the help threads are issues regarding something that has been solved countless of times, but users and even mods sometimes like to be there for people, post, show interest, and maybe even get a bit more known on the boards by being there.

It's true that it's not the most efficient way and the process could be boosted by putting solved on everything for the users that do read, but personally I'm not certain if this is something wanted if you look at a whole on how the help section works.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 05:41:31 pm »
That's unfortunate. Well you can delete this suggestion then Red if you want.

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 06:46:12 pm »
Can always leave it open for a wee bit more if anyone got things to add or anything to wonder abootz. You never know.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

CloudFish

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 07:07:44 pm »
I have noted that threads have been locked and replaced with (solved) more often than not recently, so can see what are saying there. Do however think in this case, Red's right. There's too many threads posted per day for them to be completely monitored by the forum/game staff.

But again, most people wouldn't have nearly as many posts if there weren't the daily people asking why their height map isn't working correctly.

The solved thing seems pretty pointless in my eyes, as like stated above, most users don't search for the solved answer to their problems before posting.

the only reason i could see it being of use, is for those /trying/ to help on already solved posts.