Author Topic: Character FAQ: All you need to know.  (Read 58838 times)

Offline Zaroque

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 388
    • zaroqueart
    • View Profile
    • Zaroque's dA.
Character FAQ: All you need to know.
« on: January 07, 2012, 04:35:07 pm »
Hello there, welcome to the Character FAQ topic. Here are some Frequently asked questions about making a character:

How to make a character.
Using the markings, colour sliders and more.
Presets & Markings
(How to make a preset/markings, topic linked) How to get one, why others can't see it and much more!
Character Classifications:
Sparkle dogs etc.

Here are some more common ones:

I'm looking for the Mass Marking Pack, but I can't find the link!
(Link to the Original Hammy's Mass Marking Pack)

My character has a preset/marking in FH, but when I go on FH + my character is completely white, why?

I don't know how to use the colour bar...

I am joining a RP, but its realistic, and I don't know how to make a realistic character.

Why are there Demon Dogs and Sparkle Dogs in FH?

It won't accept the name I am putting in for my character, what should I do?

Making a character is really hard, any tips or hints?

What are the limitations for making a character?

Character FAQ:

How to make a character:

How do you make a character? -- Login with your username and password, on the right hand side it says ''Create'', press that.

Step 1: Using the editing sliders.

Choose a name for your character and type it into the Name Box.
Pick a speicies out of Canine (Wolf, Domestic dog, Coyote, Fox or whatever Canine you want) or Feline (Lion, Tiger, Cheetah, Leopard). The Feline body is normally used for making Dragons. If you click on the body, you can move it around by moving the mouse.

Muzzle: If you use the sliders, it can make the Muzzle shorter or longer. For Wolves you don't really want to muzzle that long.
Cheeks: You can make them go out or in by editing the sliders. Move your character to front view and use the sliders.
Nose: You can make the top of the muzzle go up or down. Go on side view and do edit until satisfied. (For realistic wolves, I put the nose up to the top, for realistic lions, nose three-quaters up).
Forhead: As it says, forhead! You can make it go up or down. Use side view to edit it properly.
Ears: Make them large or small by moving the sliders.
Eyes: You can change the eyes to make them big or small by using the sliders. Use front view to edit properly.
Weight: Make it Skinny or fat/fluffy. Use side view to edit properly.

Now for the next bit, you need to edit the height, IGNORE Width and Length, it makes it proportionally correct if you just move the height. But of course you can edit the Width and Length if you wish.

Also, for felines, you can't edit the cheeks, instead its ---
Chin: Make it big or small. Use Side view for the best edit.

Step 2: Choosing an Emote:

THIS IS OPTIONAL. By using the emotes selected out this will become your custom emote. Which means when you move portal to portal, your emote will change back to the one you selected.

Step 3: II

Look at the top of the editing bar and you will see options, go onto the ''II'' one for this next step.

Tail: There are plenty of different tails to choose from. Here are some Feline tails:

Lion Tail: A realistic Lion tail with a tuft of fur at the end. Normally used for Lions. (Duhhh)
Thick Tail: A thickened tail without the tuft of fur on the end. (Sometimes used for Dragons and made up creatures)
Rounded Tail: A Cheetah like tail with a rounded end. (Normally used for Cheetahs, Leopards and other Felines)
Lynx Tail: A bobbed tail. (Used for domestic cats and Lynx's)
Tailess: A tailess freak.

Canine Tails:

Wolf Tail: A realistic Wolf tail. (Fluffy) Used for wolf characters and other wolf breeds.
Thin Tail: A thin version of the Wolf tailed. Sometimes used for domestic dogs.
Cat Tail: A cat tail... Sometimes used for Prehistoric canines.
Sickle Tail: A tail facing upwards. Normally used for dominant wolves or Huskies.
Tailess: A Canine with no tail.

Manes for Felines:

Manes such as Lion Manes and tufts of hair, sometimes used for style or humanized characters.

Manless: No mane. Used for Lioness's and other felines.
Fluffy: A fluffy textured mane. Used for soft manes for lions.
Spiky: A tuft of fur on the head, its rather spikey. Used for growing lions or style.
Forward: Its shorter than Spiky and less spikey. A tuft of fur on the head used for growning lions or Style.
Side: A side tuft of fur on the head. Used for side partings and growning lions.
Standing: A gothic/emo type hairstyle. It points upward and its normally used for Dragons or humans.
Center Half: A realistic growing mane for male lions with a middle parting at the head.
Forward Half: A growing mane for male lions, the tuft of fur at the head is pointing forward. Often used just for growing males.
Side Half: A growing mane with a side parting.
Center Full: A full grown mane with a middle parting.
Side Full: A full mane with a side parting.
Semi-full: A full grown mane, but missing one side of the middle parting.
Front Center full: A full mane with a larger Middle parting, the tufts cover the eyes.

Manes for Canines:

Manes for canines. They look quite good on them. c:

Maneless: No mane. For realistic canines.
Side: A Side parting with a tuft of fur on the other side of the parting. Often used for females.
Forward: A very small Mohawk. Sometimes used for males.
Center: A middle parting just over the eyes. Often used for humans.
Forward Mohawk: Like the Forward but a little bit bigger.
Backward Mohawk: A Mohawk going backward.
Eyecover: A full side parting covering one eye. Used for females.
Flame: A mane going forward, its spikes up randomly in different places. Often used for males.
Large Mohawk: The same as Mohawk but bigger.

Right, as for the rest of it, its rather obvious. . .

Step 4: V

Alrighty. So, now you've done everything else, its time for ze last step which is desiding on the colours.

Pelt:

The top half of yo' character. Move the sliders at the bottom and the colours change, let me give you some main colours to work with.
Okay, so scan across the bar to the end, there are numbers. If you want one of these colours, type them in:

Black: 0,0,0.
White: 255, 255, 255.
Light grey: 206, 206, 206.
Grey: 128, 128, 128.
Dark grey: 60, 60, 60.
Light Blue: 204, 255, 255.
Blue: 0, 255, 255.
Dark Blue: 0, 0, 100.
Soft Green: 107, 119, 55.
Mint: 79, 119, 76.
Green: 0, 133, 0.
Neon Green: 0, 255, 0.
Dark Green: 0, 32, 0.
Soft Light teal: 66, 132, 132.
Teal: 0, 68, 68.
Dark teal: 0, 26, 32.
Cream: 225, 205, 177.
Light Cream: 255, 235, 219.
Cheetah Brown: 190, 121, 56.
Dark brown: 60, 26, 0.
Light woody brown: 148, 84, 27.
Light brown: 138, 82, 48.
Gold: 238, 145, 45.
Deep Red: 63, 0, 0.
Red: 145, 0, 0.

Ask for more if you wish.

Underfur:

Underfur is the fur underneath the pelt (underfur is not on the tail). Normally underfur is lighter than the pelt colour, but you can always make it the same colour.

Underfur Lion pink: 255, 208, 177.
Black: 0, 0, 0.
Dark Brown pelt underfur: 178, 128, 97.
Brown pelt underfur 2: 134, 82, 48.

I think those are the main ones. Please ask for more via posting.

Eyes:

Eyes can be any colour. They are not a main factor so they can be neon if you wish.

Realistic Wolf yellow: 255, 255, 103.
Wolf Yellow 2: 255, 255, 0.
Realistic Wolf brown: 205, 137, 78.
Wolf brown 2: 205, 109, 15.

Above and Below eyes:

2 different ones. See the pink above and below the eyes, you can change their colour too! Its always nice to have a good colour for above and below the eyes, no one wants to look at neon rings.

Realistic lions:

Above eyes: The pelt colour you have chosen.
Below eyes: A lighter version of the pelt colour.

Realistic Wolves:

For realistic wolves it really does not matter, normally they are both light or sometimes darker than the pelt.

Nose:

Its the colour for the nose, no prizes for guessing.

Wolves/canines (realistic): 0, 0, 0.
Lions/felines (realistic): 200, 80, 50.

Noses should always be in a non-neon colour, if they are a light colour it doesn't really look right.
Anywho, thats my opinion. c:

Tail tip:

You can choose the colour for the end of the tail. If you have markings which go over the tail tip, you won't see it. But if it has gaps it looks good if its a different colour from the pelt. c:

Normally, realistic wolves would have the same tail tip or a shade darker than its pelt. But Lions/some felines have light brown/dark brown/brown tail tip tufts.

Mane:

This is the hair that we chose earlier. If has texture, so some parts will have a darker shade than the colour you actually chose. Okay, so here are some options:

Blonde: 212, 134, 33.
Light brown: 112, 71, 32.
Dark reddish brown: 41, 15, 0.
Seaside teal: 49, 71, 71.
Dark green/teal: 0, 15, 10.
Lavender: 148, 121, 204.
Light Lavender: 235, 212, 255.
Dark Lavender: 89, 34, 147.

Markings:

Alright, so if you have chosen some markings they are visible on character creator as yellow. c: Here are some colours.
(P.S. Markings look good if they are a shade darker than your pelt).

Black: 0,0,0.
Reddish brown (dark): 31, 0, 0.

Its a bit pointless to list anymore, why not experiment by using the sliders? c:

Equip:

The Equip is only visible if you added wings onto your character (Angel or Bat wings). They are new to FH, so if you are looking for a wing preset, I don't think you'll get much luck.

Presets & Markings

What is a preset?:

A preset is an optional marking/pattern you can make yourself. However, you cannot change its colour, you have to choose the colours while making it. The patterns or things you can put on it is limitless, its a good time to express your artistic talents. c:
You don't have to make one, you can also request a preset from another user.

What is a Marking?

A marking is a pattern which you can change its colour in-game.

How do I get one?:

You can request a preset/marking in-game (by talking to a user) or look at this section on the FH forums:

Why can't other people see my preset/marking?

The answer is simple, its because they haven't downloaded it. People cannot see a file in-game if they do not have it.
If you want people to see it, give the person the download link and wait for them to download it.

Also, to other people you are white. Pure white, just like the undermesh for he game.

How do I make a Preset/Marking?

Character Classifications:

Ever wondered what some characters are, look here!

Sparkle Dogs:

Sparkle dogs are characters with bright colours all over their body. Rather horrible to look at.
Some people use them to troll or just to annoy people with their overly bright and vivid neon colours. Not many people like them, so I wouldn't make one of them.

Demon Dogs:

Demon dogs are demonic creatures. They have demon powers such as flying and using powers. Some powers can be unique to the persons Demon.

Whats with the Letters at the end of the name?:

The letters at the end of the name aren't SPAM. Sometimes they are there just to show they are in a certain group: (e.g. The Koku Lake, that would be TKL at the end of the name).

I can't think of any more.. please suggest some. =P

More FAQ:

I'm looking for the Mass Marking Pack, but I can't find the link!

My character has a preset/marking in FH, but when I go on FH + my character is completely white, why?

Thats because you've only placed the files in the normal FH, right click the files you want and click copy, then go too your FH + folder and paste them in the same place as you did in FH. Only then you shall see your character with its preset/marking in FH + AND FH.

I don't know how to use the colour bar...

Well. If you look at the previous answers for Step V, you might get the idea. If you still need help, most here.

I am joining a RP, but its realistic, I don't know how to make a realistic character.

Realistic Wolf: Wolves come in many colours, this includes Black, white, grey, brown.

Also, on the 'I' bar, put the nose right up and forhead down a little, this makes a realistic wolf head. Also, make your character fluffy by putting on some weight.

Realistic Lion character:

For a realistic lion you can have them creamy white (white lion) or light brown or slightly dark brown, I'm sure the group leader wouldn't mind. The nose should be up a little and for lioness's I wouldn't do any chin. The colour underneath the eyes is lighter (as seen on the pictures). Also, for the body you can do cub spots and make them a shade darker/lighter than the pelt.

If you need more help, post.

Why are there Demon Dogs and Sparke Dogs in FH?

Here on FH, people can make any characters, that can either be good or bad. It is up to the peep behind the character on what it is and its plot. There are hardly any limitations.
However, if you see a user with an inappropriate character with a rude or insulting name, take a screenshot and PM it to an admin on the FH forum.

It won't accept the name I am putting in for my character, what should I do?

Thats because you've put a space at the end or the start of the name in the name box. What you should do is go back to 'I' and press the end of the name, then use your arrow key and press the right button, if there is a space delete it. If there is one at the start delete that one too, then validate your character.

Making a character is really hard, any tips or hints?

If this is one of your first character, look back at the colour codes I gave and choose one of them. Why not make a black or white character. I'll edit and post some screenies of my characters for you.
Also, once your character is ready go in-game and press the feather on the golden bar at the bottom, then press Bio. Write in the box information about your character such as name, age, gender, pack/pride and personality.

What are the limitations for making a character?

Yes, your character needs to be appropriately named and you should always follow the rules in-game. If you make a character just for rape, you can be banned.

PLEASE. If you still have any questions, please post. And if you have any questions and answers for me to add in this, post and I will give you credit.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 08:18:25 pm by Zaroque »
~ Z A R O Q U E ~
jaaaeeger
Art || DoE

Offline Ramine

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
    • View Profile
    • Ramine on DeviantART
Re: Character FAQ: All you need to know.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 06:36:39 pm »
This ish really helpful Zar. ^^

Signature by Delay. <3

Offline Zaroque

• Immortal Legend
    • zaroqueart
    • View Profile
    • Zaroque's dA.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 08:19:04 pm »
Dankchu. <3
I hope it helps, it gave me a headache. ^.-
~ Z A R O Q U E ~
jaaaeeger
Art || DoE

Offline plugnickel

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Hai there!! CAKE or DEATH! Or a Hug *^-^*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 01:24:59 am »
thx this stiff rlly helped w/ my characters
<table style="width: 320px; border: 1px solid gray; font: normal 12px sans-serif; background-color: white;"><tr><td colspan="2" style="background: white;

Offline Zaroque

• Immortal Legend
    • zaroqueart
    • View Profile
    • Zaroque's dA.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 10:14:19 am »
thx this stiff rlly helped w/ my characters

Your welcome Lilly. c:
~ Z A R O Q U E ~
jaaaeeger
Art || DoE

Offline KovuKovu

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Ronno: Oh yeah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 12:52:43 pm »
Why thank you for helping me. Sometimes I can be an idiot. ^.^ Take care!

By: (The excellent artist) Twilight-Realm-Child (at deviantART.com)

Offline Zaroque

• Immortal Legend
    • zaroqueart
    • View Profile
    • Zaroque's dA.
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 01:34:46 pm »
Why thank you for helping me. Sometimes I can be an idiot. ^.^ Take care!

Thank you Tyrika.<3
~ Z A R O Q U E ~
jaaaeeger
Art || DoE

Offline Ingredient

• ~Dead men tell no tales~
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 366
    • Ingredient91
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 10:32:00 am »
Its a very good tutorial i wish i found this when i was a first time player. I had to discover all this the hard way.

By the way did you draw that wolf?
Will be inactive due to work and exams.

Offline Zaroque

• Immortal Legend
    • zaroqueart
    • View Profile
    • Zaroque's dA.
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 05:55:18 pm »
No, but I'm going to edit and put credit for the artist. (should of done that before)

Thank you Ingredient. <3
~ Z A R O Q U E ~
jaaaeeger
Art || DoE

Offline hussain

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hussain.weebly.com
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 08:10:58 pm »
Zaroque post how you make a realistic lion cub