Bring it back?

Yes
30 (71.4%)
No
4 (9.5%)
Undecided/Neutral
8 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Bringing Back General Chat?  (Read 8083 times)

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
Re: Bringing Back General Chat?
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 09:26:23 pm »
While I am curious to see how it would be, maybe it wouldn't be a good idea to bring it back. At least for now. There really aren't too many players online anymore, and the majority of them stay right in one spot in The Grounds, where everyone can hear each other anyway without the help of general.

Just my two cents.

This is exactly what we are trying to solve though. It's a problem that needs fixing.
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Calvary

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 09:27:41 pm »
I made this thread after being prompted to by several people to do so. I do agree it is annoying, and I myself know it will not accomplish much. I understand the reasoning behind while it will not likely return, but a large portion of the community does not, especially when some staff are so persistent on why it should be revived. It is confusing to the regular user. I am not pushing an agenda for General, it's just that the community was simply turned away in an inappropriate fashion. Whether it is the best decision or not is irrelevant to me at this point.

Just having this thread open, regardless if it receives any replies or not, speaks leagues about the administration. It shows they accept discussion and encourage it, even if we are all essentially kicking a dead horse. General is as dead as contacting Kovu at this point, yet discussing ideas is still widely encouraged, as it shows there is still life and an urge to better Feralheart. It is the whole reason this board essentially has existed since the game was made public. Not all proposals will be implemented but it doesn't make them any less worthy of discussion. Furthermore, the locking and little explanation of the former thread does nothing but embarrass those involved—it embarrasses the administration itself, and doesn't translate well to the community or those that are unfamiliar with General.

This thread is not retaliation by any means, it is simply a push to encourage more transparency, even if it's not the most popular method of doing so.

I agree 100% with this. Mainly because the topic itself isn't necessarily annoying, but I can see how over the course of time it can get difficult to keep up with alongside other things.

I think the main part of this is, is that despite it being brought up; it probably isn't a large priority at the moment and would take a while before it's even put back in, or maybe even not. General is quite dead, and in my personal opinion it could benefit the game, but it honestly wouldn't help it stay afloat. It's for nostalgia, if we are being honest. The main purpose is to talk across the map, and to bring it back would be a big kick for old players, but it isn't enough to keep the game itself surviving. New ideas, much like the ones that have been brought up, are something we can all put in that isn't kicking a dead horse. Perhaps the locking of the thread, despite it not being very handy, was probably a way of saying, "I think that's enough."

I think we also have to understand that as many ideas as we put out, we have to be aware that there are many staff, all with differing opinions. The more staff, the more input you have to wait for, and it could take decades to input anything if the discussion simply isn't a priority. Repeating threads could go well as a reminder, but may get a bit frustrating over time. There is also, by what I can see, a large dispute between whether or not General should return or not, leaving the discussion practically barren.

What would be an excellent idea, is if Staff had a poll bi-monthly for all community members to interact with and state what they'd like to see both forum wise and game wise. (Perhaps a poll with different and well-liked ideas brought up from this board), and the community can vote on what one thing they'd like to see worked on as a priority. It may give staff a better idea on what they'd like to see implemented first. Just a thought, though!

Offline Ame88

• ❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄ Winter is a .' - ` , ' - . ` timeless ' , ` - '. ` , - ' . season. - ', - ` , ' - . ` , Everything ' , ` - . ' , ` . freezes. `_,_'_-_._`_,_-
  • Admin
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 216
  • Yeah I believe in Bigfoot. Nessi and Kovu too!
    • Ame88thewolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 09:47:43 pm »
Since I didn't post what I had written out on Jango's now locked topic before it was locked, I guess I'll say it now.

Personally speaking here, General has been something that we've all fought on for so many years. Bring it back. Don't bring it back. Bring it back but change it. Bring it back but it better not be brought back changed, or else we don't want it. I for one, hope this issue resolves soon because I'm getting a little tired of an old decision being brought up time and time again, with no real, set in stone reason as to why it should be brought back, or why it should stay removed from the game. As for simply discussing it, I have no issues, however we are essentially just repeating ourselves again and again. So when does it end? If you look at it, we've constantly, relentlessly brought it up throughout the years, and every single time resulting in failure. Let me note, that the definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over time and time again and expecting a different result.

If we use the argument of "the community has grown and matured," you're cutting out all of the younger kids still playing who can easily abuse the chat. They easily get excited and don't really think before doing, so mistakes and various hyper actions are to be expected from those young ones. For us "older and more mature players," one would hope that they use it reasonably. We still have some of those players who are older but are still growing and are immature to an extent. "But we have more staff to help monitor the chat!" This being true, seeing how much local blows up at times, just imagine having to monitor BOTH chats blowing up. It most definitely would not be a pleasant thing to get on every single day and do, and for how many maps? The Grounds, Eastern Pass, Kiwimbi Beach, Bonfire, Zama, Cape, Seaside, Ficho, Cherika, Kibou. 10 maps that the staff would have to monitor. Granted we have enough to be sent to every single map, think about what else they have to do every day. Monitor the site, keep the site clean and organized, help players with their issues, discuss multiple things and plan events, monitor those events, and overall make sure everything is in line. You can argue that not all the maps are active like they are The Grounds and are least likely to blow up, but that just leaves all of the less active maps as a big target for General Chat mischief, whatever it may be. That's just one of the various issues and ways it could be seen.

Back when I joined, there was no General Chat. I knew it existed in the chat options, but of course I could never use it in public maps. For four years, I got along just fine without using it. Personally, I never really used it in external maps with the exception of others speaking to me through it rarely, and map rules from their creators upon entering when the group was there. Basically speaking, the game would be no different upon bringing it back aside from being able to speak with everyone within the same map as you regardless of distance between you and the other without having to hassle with a few clicks to make a party with them. Whilst in party, you can speak to anyone in any map just so long as you're in the same party.

Now, being more blunt here, I personally say make a decision and drop this topic. It has been run into the ground how many times over how many years. It's getting old. If we bring back General, then how long will it take for the old function to loose it's charm? I think we should leave the gem we call General alone. If we bring general back, it wouldn't really be the same, just like the old maps. It would be great and all for General to be back and all it's glory, but how much of it's glory is really still there? The only solution I could ever say to this is bring it back for a month, see how it rides, and make a final decision. Out, or in. Or just drop it entirely right now and stop this back and forth "bring it back - let it go." With these kinds of things that have gone on for so long, it's really best to just make a decision and go with it.

I said it once, and I'll say it again. The definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over time and time again and expecting a different result.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 09:50:51 pm by Ame88 »

Profile picture by Telluric
Thank you ;u;
Bio | My Creations
Renegade Row | FeralHeart Resort

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 10:26:42 pm »
right i'm just gonna make something short and sweet
let's look at this objectively
forget the general chat of old
forget the drama surrounding it's removal
forget all of that

at it's core, general chat is a global chat function that literally every other MMO has.
there will be spam, sure. it can be abused, and it will be.
but that's part and parcel with the benefit of having a global chat.

region chat in warframe as an example -
it's very hard to socialize with people outside of the 1 trading center and maybe sometimes you'll be grouped up with people willing to talk in a mission.
if it didn't have a global chat function, people would have to crowd around maroo's bazaar and relays in order to even start up a conversation.

but with region chat, it doesn't matter where you are in the game. you could be in a mission, be on your ship, running around playing with chickens in cetus
you have the option of talking to other people regardless of your location.
sure, you can still group up and talk to people in relays or in the back-alleys of fortuna. but it's been streamlined to help encourage people to be social - that's what playing an MMO is all about.

playing with other people.
talking to said people.
making friends.
having fun with friends.
grofit.

of course, warframe has it's own moderation team to help keep the region chat a safe place to be. feralheart is no different.
i think they also have about the same amount of people[ish], and they're able to do the job well even with their own hectic schedules.

no matter what you call it
region chat
global chat
general chat
server chat
they all have the same function and purpose

allow people to talk to one another over long distances in the game, without having to bend over backwards to get to where the people are.

apart from adding an additional job to the life of a FeralHeart staff member, there are no drawbacks.
but just like in warframe, if you don't want to see region chat - you can turn it off and click away.

this is why i want general chat back.
not because of memories i might've had back in the day, or because i think the game will die without it.
it's because it has a simple, practical function that i'd like to see implemented again.
and for a few other reasons.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline VortexAlive

• Eevee Knight
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 180
  • A wild floof has appeared!
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • View Profile
    • VortexAlive is Rawrsome
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 10:36:08 pm »
one google search away...
Insanity:
1. The state of being seriously mentally ill; madness.
2. extreme foolishness or irrationality.
So many get this wrong. =/

I do not believe it is insane to talk about things you'd like or not like in a civilised manner, no matter how often it is said. (Provided it is not in the form of spam of course.)

Back to the topic though.
I've only been back for a few days and have noticed a bit of unrest about the General Chat feature's removal from long ago. I think that if the one who makes the final decision ultimately decides it should be kept 'as is' then fine, I respect that. I personally would prefer it to return in some way, even if only used as an advertising channel, as mentioned before. However, I also feel as though we will be able to get by without the feature, as we have in recent years.

The Party Chat stuff? That made me think of a dedicated party chat character just sitting around somewhere. Not sure that it is any good but I wanted to share the idea. xD
It works at a global scale to. o.o
For the sake of my own health and interests, I've left FH and I won't be looking back.

Offline Valar.Morghulis

• “Sometimes before we can usher in the new, the old must be put to rest.“
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 115
  • The many-faced God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 10:49:07 pm »
@Ame

There is a great difference between madness and perseverance. Desire to seek an answer.
"When does it end?" It most likely ends when we get answers to questions we have put up for years. Why isn’t the chat back in the game? What else is the reason of removing it, apart from the fear of spam. Yes, there are children who will spam the chat, but there are also people and children who will report to the administrators.
"Having to monitor BOTH chats blowing up ... -... Granted we have enough to be sent to every single map, ..." Not really, there are only a few people in these maps, most of which are a part of their own role plays and don’t necessarily speak in other chats besides group or party. The local chat gets very active only in the later hours. And most of all over the weekend. Staff do not have to check every single map constantly. If it had to be constantly, every single day, then it would have also been when only the Local Chat was active.
"Back when I joined, there was no general chat" Well you see, there are some, let's say little inconveniences when people who comment this on the matter of general chat. They never had it (except in private maps). They didn’t experience talking to random people across the other side of the map to such extent as some of us have. Therefore being one of the reasons why we seek answers so much. I'm not telling you that you have no right to state your opinion, because of course everyone has all right to do it, I'm saying that it's not entirely right when someone who didn’t use it says that the chat doesn’t have to be brought back because we as a community “don’t even need it”.
"But how much glory is still there?" Quite a lot actually. Much more than you can imagine. General was the everyday life of our Feral Heart game play. It binds us in some way. Same as in servers in many other games, there is always a chat in which you can talk to all the people on the same server. I repeat, calling other people insane is very inexcusable.

Party chat isn't and it never or should for that matter, be a replacement for General chat.

I wholeheartedly agree with Jango's comment.

Also agreeing to Vortex's comment about insanity ^ which should be dropped, as it's not even a subject we're speaking about, or should be spoken about in this thread (or any thread) as it is a very serious topic.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 10:51:33 pm by Valar.Morghulis »

https://linktr.ee/Obsxura
Profile by Cittrus-fruit | Signature by Mistrel-Fox

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 10:55:57 pm »
I'm not going to type a few paragraphs here explaining why general chat should return. In fact, I believe the game needs it to return. I've wanted it back for a long time now. I've come here to clarify a common misconception instead...

The majority of staff have at one point or another expressed wanting general's return; so why hasn't it? Raz does not find our (or anyone's) concerns/arguments valid. I ask that you turn to him, and not us, because for a long time now the staff haven't been the ones against it
Farewell everyone<3

Offline Ame88

• ❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄ Winter is a .' - ` , ' - . ` timeless ' , ` - '. ` , - ' . season. - ', - ` , ' - . ` , Everything ' , ` - . ' , ` . freezes. `_,_'_-_._`_,_-
  • Admin
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 216
  • Yeah I believe in Bigfoot. Nessi and Kovu too!
    • Ame88thewolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2019, 11:14:08 pm »
one google search away...
Insanity:
1. The state of being seriously mentally ill; madness.
2. extreme foolishness or irrationality.
So many get this wrong. =/

I'm not speaking about someone who has a mental illness. There are various definitions of insanity, and the one you're using is far different than the one I've mentioned to describe what is currently being done with General.

There is a great difference between madness and perseverance. Desire to seek an answer. - I repeat, calling other people insane is very inexcusable. - Also agreeing to Vortex's comment about insanity ^ which should be dropped, as it's not even a subject we're speaking about, or should be spoken about in this thread (or any thread) as it is a very serious topic.

Party chat isn't and it never or should for that matter, be a replacement for General chat. -

As I've said, yes, there is a fine deference. I'm not calling anyone insane. I'm saying we are repeating the same things we've been speaking about for years. We've brought up the same reasons after another to bring it back and yet it hasn't been done due the cooperation of I'm going to assume one ceases to budge. I'm not bringing up a serious problem that others have in this world. What I've said in the manner that it was said, was of an old tongue. I'm saying what we're doing is rather repetitive and, like Alpha has said, beating a dead horse. Perhaps I should've been more clear. I ask that you don't attack me and twist my words for giving a mere example.

I'm not saying party should or is a replacement for General. I was making an observation and comparing the two, as I know they are not the same nor ever will be.

To clarify, I'm not against bringing it back just because "I didn't have it." I've been through various other MMOs and seen various other General chats. I'm up for whatever decision is made. For the comment about other maps having issues, I'm simply just saying, it's an older function within the game that was removed for reasons, and that there could be issues like that, not that there will be. Once again, I was just giving an example.

Profile picture by Telluric
Thank you ;u;
Bio | My Creations
Renegade Row | FeralHeart Resort

Offline VortexAlive

• Eevee Knight
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 180
  • A wild floof has appeared!
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • View Profile
    • VortexAlive is Rawrsome
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 11:27:52 pm »
I apologize if I seemed aggressive, I understand where you're coming from. It can indeed feel repetitive at times, such is the nature of long-standing discussions. =)
For the sake of my own health and interests, I've left FH and I won't be looking back.

Offline Valar.Morghulis

• “Sometimes before we can usher in the new, the old must be put to rest.“
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 115
  • The many-faced God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 11:48:48 pm »
The post before didn’t seem like it, but okay. Though I wasn’t attacking anyone or twisting anyone’s words, I was simply making a statement
And the party chat comment wasn’t directed at you.

https://linktr.ee/Obsxura
Profile by Cittrus-fruit | Signature by Mistrel-Fox