Author Topic: Thread Creating Ideas  (Read 1623 times)

Offline yourlocalcrow

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 43
  • they/them
    • View Profile
    • my deviantArt
Thread Creating Ideas
« on: April 10, 2016, 11:01:25 pm »
Hey guys! Been making a rather frustrating thread recently, and thought that it would make my life easier if you weren't forced to create threads in the code viewing mode. The preview can be a bit of a frustrating feature, as the way I code, it becomes a wall of text that it's difficult to find anything in. It would just be nice to be able to toggle between creating the thread in code and preview.

Another thing that doesn't make sense to me is the reason the thread I've been creating is so frustrating and is just a wall of text. It's oriented in the center, and when I went to have just an entire section one colour and font, and then went to preview, only the first line of text was formatted with that colour and font. I had to copy/paste that line of code to every single line of text for it to work. Is this a bug?

Just thought I'd share my ideas.

ArcticGalaxy

Re: Thread Creating Ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 11:35:18 pm »
Honestly, I really have no problem with the coding feature. But you make a rather interesting point for the people that like to make decorated posts and stuff. It can be quite frustrating when you work all that hard on a post and you go to preview and one whole line is off. xD

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 11:46:50 pm »
I agree. It'd probably be a difficult feature to add in, but if there was a separate window that automatically previewed your post as you typed or just had a quick toggle feature (like I believe there is with most Proboards sites), that'd be really handy for making large heavily-coded posts. And the current Preview feature can be quite glitchy at times, since often after typing for a while Previewing just gives you an error or tells you that you've timed out. Aside from the difficulty in making this feature, I totally agree with you!

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 05:45:14 pm »
I must agree with this. Although I'm used to typing out code, for forums and game scripts alike, it can be a tad annoying to keep copying the same color or orientation commands over and over again.

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline Hakumi

• ✩ Just A Virtuous Smol ✩
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 130
  • A Smol & Helpful Floof ~
    • leanim3fr3akzoid
    • LeAnim3Fr3akzoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 05:51:24 pm »
It has its ups and downs & before o found it quite frustrating because sometimes the preview doesn't even work for me and when it did, I end up having to make an entire new post because it deleted everything I wrote ( Luckily I Copied Everything c; ) But yeah, after awhile I seem to have gotten used to it you can say, Lol.

Keep on traveling across this road called 'Life.'

Discord: Haku - Haku#74O7

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 08:45:04 pm »
I've gotten so used to typing out posts in the code format that it doesn't really bother me anymore. It would be a lot easier to be able to type in sort of a "preview" mode without having to put in the code. But I would assume that that feature would take a lot of time and work to implement, and the staff already seem to be working their tails off to improve the game and site all around. c: Also, who knows if SMF even supports this type of feature. A lot of the times, the forum provider may not have this option already built in, and it could not support a codeless type of posting feature.
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.