Author Topic: Multiple Models in Blender  (Read 1359 times)

Offline A.P.S.

• Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 38
    • View Profile
Multiple Models in Blender
« on: September 18, 2019, 11:48:25 pm »
I can't stand using Blender and it's darn confusing. I was wondering if there is a way to easily join all meshes/objects without messing up the textures? It might be easier to show what I'm doing and my problem.

The basic, untextured models. You can see on the right side menu that they're all separate objects.

By selecting one and going into texture paint mode, it shows up fine, but I'd have to save each and every model as it's own mesh. Not bad if it's maybe 2-3 meshes, but 10? 20? 30? It gets tedious assigning everything.

But when I join everything together, it does this. I guess it's got the color a bit, but it looks nothing like the wood before.

Is there an easier way of doing this? It's made me so discouraged when making big things, like how I was hoping to do the Zelda OOT maps, but it's just so darn annoying.

Offline cattails

• ✨ mom said it's my turn on the xbox ✨
  • Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • bee movie was okay
    • littlefelines.deviantART.com
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Models in Blender
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 02:34:24 am »
This thread's been here a while so you've probably already found an answer, but just in case you haven't, I'm pretty sure that Ctrl+J is a hotkey that instantly joins all selected meshes into a single mesh. It should maintain textures and UV maps too, unless you mess with them after joining your meshes.

Just go into Object Mode, press A to select everything, then Crtl+J to join.

Make sure you save before doing this, because as far as I know it's not reverseable (and I may also have the hotkey wrong, lmao! I'm in class rn so I can't check until later).

Regarding the texture issue, I'm not entirely sure what's causing that. I've never had an issue like this before. Maybe something about the way you're joining them currently is messing with the UVs? Maybe try reloading your textures and see if it helps. You can also check the UV's shape by selecting parts of the mesh in edit mode. They'll be stretched out or in funky shapes if the maps themselves have gone bad.

As last resort, you can always redo the UV mapping. That's going to be very tedious though, especially if your mesh is made of 30+ pieces and you're hoping to put all those textures on one image.

btw, I primarily use blender 2.49. I'm very sorry if any of this info isn't accurate for 2.79.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 02:36:40 am by cattails »

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 03:02:49 am »
This here should do it! Worked for me back when I was having the same problem
The download link to the plugin needed is in the description c:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3YYrnEL60Y
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline A.P.S.

• Honored Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 05:46:09 am »
This thread's been here a while so you've probably already found an answer, but just in case you haven't, I'm pretty sure that Ctrl+J is a hotkey that instantly joins all selected meshes into a single mesh. It should maintain textures and UV maps too, unless you mess with them after joining your meshes.

Just go into Object Mode, press A to select everything, then Crtl+J to join.

Make sure you save before doing this, because as far as I know it's not reverseable (and I may also have the hotkey wrong, lmao! I'm in class rn so I can't check until later).

Regarding the texture issue, I'm not entirely sure what's causing that. I've never had an issue like this before. Maybe something about the way you're joining them currently is messing with the UVs? Maybe try reloading your textures and see if it helps. You can also check the UV's shape by selecting parts of the mesh in edit mode. They'll be stretched out or in funky shapes if the maps themselves have gone bad.

As last resort, you can always redo the UV mapping. That's going to be very tedious though, especially if your mesh is made of 30+ pieces and you're hoping to put all those textures on one image.

btw, I primarily use blender 2.49. I'm very sorry if any of this info isn't accurate for 2.79.

I hadn't found an answer. Plus I have been using Ctrl+J to join them and that's when it messes up the textures.

This here should do it! Worked for me back when I was having the same problem
The download link to the plugin needed is in the description c:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3YYrnEL60Y

The person didn't show how to install the program in blender and it looks like it's more than a plugin. I found a tutorial in another video by the same person but you have to pay for a bigger/parent program despite also a free download of sparkles being hosted. I'm not sure if I'm just incorrect and confused, but even then, I don't want to pirate anything.

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 10:59:32 pm »
When you install addons you just go into User Preferences > The Add-ons tab and then the "Install Add-on from File" button and then just select the .zip file (or .py file-whichever one you get when you download an addon) and Blender will install it for you.

However, I was not aware that that was the source of that add-on. I was under the impression that it was free, like all of the other plugins/add-ons I have installed. In that case I can understand where you're coming from. Thanks for pointing that out! Now I'm aware and won't be using it either.

There is another way that someone in the comments of that video mentioned that I tried out too although it is time-consuming....renaming the UV maps of all of the meshes to be the same.

Here is a video I recorded demonstrating how to do this
https://youtu.be/Yfq6Wq6fP-w

You can either do just one at a time like I did or rename them all first before joining. I recommend creating a backup before you do this so if you need to start over for whatever reason, you can :)

I hope this helps!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 11:02:19 pm by Morgra »
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline A.P.S.

• Honored Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 05:53:03 pm »
When you install addons you just go into User Preferences > The Add-ons tab and then the "Install Add-on from File" button and then just select the .zip file (or .py file-whichever one you get when you download an addon) and Blender will install it for you.

However, I was not aware that that was the source of that add-on. I was under the impression that it was free, like all of the other plugins/add-ons I have installed. In that case I can understand where you're coming from. Thanks for pointing that out! Now I'm aware and won't be using it either.

There is another way that someone in the comments of that video mentioned that I tried out too although it is time-consuming....renaming the UV maps of all of the meshes to be the same.

Here is a video I recorded demonstrating how to do this
https://youtu.be/Yfq6Wq6fP-w

You can either do just one at a time like I did or rename them all first before joining. I recommend creating a backup before you do this so if you need to start over for whatever reason, you can :)

I hope this helps!

AAA THANK YOU IT WORKED!! This isn't too bad at all and is so much easier. Thank you!!! I got a couple weird textures but it could be from what model I'm currently using, all looks good other than that.