Help & Guidance > Mapping Tutorials

Vortex's Map Making Guide (Also Sky & Weather)

(1/2) > >>

VortexAlive:
===== Vortex's Map Making Guide =====
Note: This is just my way of making maps. There are many other ways!

--- First Time Creation ---

--- Making the Heightmap & Mask ---

<The Mask>
> Set the Value slider back to 0.
> Click on "Image > Mode > RGB".
> In the Layers box on the right, Right Click and Click "Add Alpha Channel".
> Now Right Click again and Click "New Layer", Just Click OK.
> Make sure the New Layer is selected so that you only paint on it, use it to paint your Mask.
> Now use [255,0,0]RED(Ground), [0,255,0]GREEN(Mountain) and [0,0,255]BLUE(WaterFloor) to paint where you want certain textures to appear.
> Once you have painted your Mask, Click on "Image > Flatten Image".
> Now Click "File > Save as" and save it as "yourmapnameMask.png" in the same place you saved the Terrain.
> Close GIMP.
> DONE!
Images for Reference

--- Making a Sky ---

--- Making Weather ---

--- Map Creation Continued ---

Border is supposed to be Boundary. xD

mediafire.com/file/x1tdqy0mudcnnkr/TestHeightmap.png
For those of you that would like the Height-map to already be set up to get you started, feel free to use/edit/modify it. ^.^

Let me know what you think of this and if you think anything should be added/changed! :D

Hakumi:
Oh lookie you, back at it again with the helpfulness :>

This is a lovely tutorial that you have set up here ^^ So simple and the images are pretty straightforward as well. o:

Something to add thought when making the terrain part of le map, there shouldn't be ANY white spaces. There can be colours similar but it can't be flat out white ( for those that wish for their maps to have a border ). The map won't work and I think it causes the game to crash. ( I had to learn this the hard way when I couldn't understand why my game kept crashing. Lol.

Other than that, this is nicely done c:

- Pandeer Sticker to le Snout -

VortexAlive:
Thank you, Hakumi, for spotting that little mistake! I have added a warning there since having max Value for the Terrain would also mean the Terrain would hit the roof of the map and you would not be able to jump at/above that height!

Hakumi:

--- Quote from: VortexAlive on September 07, 2017, 01:41:53 am ---Thank you, Hakumi, for spotting that little mistake! I have added a warning there since having max Value for the Terrain would also mean the Terrain would hit the roof of the map and you would not be able to jump at/above that height!

--- End quote ---

Nej problem and good add there o:

VortexAlive:

--- Quote from: Kuri on July 16, 2019, 07:07:26 pm ---And i know people who've created 6 layers masks.  I'm not entirely sure how though. VortexAlive might  know, he's done it.

--- End quote ---
Ahh yes, the last 3 tertiary layers:
I went ahead and tested creating a six layer mask to see if I still remembered it.
I have added a <The 2nd Mask> guide in the ---Making the Heightmap & Mask--- section for you all. :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version