Author Topic: (PROBLEM WITH VISUALS?) Updating your graphic cards drivers!  (Read 56822 times)

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
(PROBLEM WITH VISUALS?) Updating your graphic cards drivers!
« on: January 09, 2011, 07:56:37 am »
////For Nvidia Geforce, and Ati Amd Graphic cards. (Windows)
Users with Intel onboard graphics can always try to look here

This will probably be updated with time, and more info will get added on the way. If you noticed something that isn't correct in these instructions then tell so. Might write something incorrectly. Do this on your own risk.

BEFORE YOU TRY THIS, MAKE SURE YOU TRY WHAT'S BEEN SAID HERE:
http://www.feral-heart.com/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=2&jfile=index.php&topic=10423.0
And don't be scared of the amount of text, It's just there to make it all alot more understandable.

***READ***
Alot of people seem to be having problems with the visual inside the game looking all spazztic and or crashes when loading menus. This COULD be because your graphic card drivers is out of date and simply needs to be updated.

If you have tried fixing your problem in other ways without any luck, trying this wouldn't hurt.

Updating drivers is not that hard to try out and see if it helps. But if you never done anything with them before, it can get slightly confusing and asking someone to do it that knows, would really help. I don't want to cause uncessesary problems.

Anyways, if you are going to install new drivers. Then just keep reading.

To install new drivers for most Graphic cards. You need to know 2 things.
1. What operating system are you currently running and is it 32 or 64 bit?
2. What kind of graphic card is inside your Computer?

If you already know for certain what operating system and graphics card you are running and how many bits, skip this. And go directly on how to install drivers.
//////How To Find Out Your Operating System
There's other ways to do it but this is how I'd do it. And I know this works for both xp/vista/win 7.

First check if there's any sticker on the computer from when you first bought it saying what you are using. It can be found somewhere on the computer case, but if you don't see or find one. Here's another way to do it.

Every computer have a program called "Run" in Xp it's an icon inside the start menu(start menu is the flag icon down in your left corner) called Run. And if you use vista/win 7 it's built into the start menu. So just write directly in the little search bar that you find directly over it.

Write this into the feild "msinfo32.exe" Without the "". This will give you a new window.

What we are intrested in is the one at the top, Operating systems name, and system type(This tells the bits of the system). If system type says it's an x86-based PC you have a 32-bit operating system. If it says x64-based PC it's a 64 bit.

So write this down if you feel like you wont remember it.

Keep this window opened if you don't know what graphics card you are using either.

//////How to find out what kind of graphics card you have
In the same window that was opened for finding out the operating system(msinfo32.exe). You can find what graphics card you have. Just double click the components text on the left. Then find "Display" on that list. Click it.

It should show a new information in the main box, and The name on the top of it is the actual name of your card. And that is what we were looking for.

Write that down aswell.

There, Now we know what we need to know to get the RIGHT drivers for your computer. Lets move on.

//////How to Download the drivers

Ok, so now when we know what we have. We need to download the actual drivers.

For the people with Geforce Nvidia cards. Go to this site.
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk

Raz edit: auto detection is available here http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx

For those with ATI amd cards, go here.
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Auto detection for AMD(posted by jayfeather55):
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/auto_detect.aspx

Locate the right one with help of the info we got got from the earlier step.

When You choosed the right ones. click search/display results.

Nvidia users will click the check box of "I agree the terms..." and then press download now.
AMD ATI. You will probably need to look around slightly all depending on how the layout of the site look. But looks for something called "Catalyst Software Suite" Or similar.

Now download the driver, and save it onto your desktop for easy acess.... Another step complete.

//////Getting ridd of the old display driver

Before we can actually install the driver we downloaded it's IMPORTANT that we uninstall/remove the older one, or else things can start acting up. And this is how you do it.

The old drivers can easily be found in the control panel. Control panel is located in the start menu. Inside the control panel, look for something called "Programs and Features".

Nvidia users should look for something called "nvidia drivers" or nvidia graphic driver. Can wary from computer to computer.

ATI AMD users should look for something called "ATI Catalyst install manager" Or ATI display driver, can also wary from computer to computer.

That is the current driver your computer is using, and we need to uninstall that. Keep in mind that when we remove this. The computer will most likely need a restart, and the screen might go black for a few seconds. When starting up the computer next time without drivers. It might be extremely big icons, bad visual quality and slow screens. But don't worry. That's what the display driver is for. To make the graphic card perform better.

I suggest you keep reading this though till the end, so you don't need to open the site after you removed the drivers.

//////Installing the new drivers(Final)
When you have sucessfully uninstalled the drivers.

Run the installer we downloaded and placed on the desktop. And install the drivers. Screen might flick and go black for abit here aswell.

Now if everything went correctly. It should be installed. And it might ask for you to restart the system again.

Try to run the game on low settings again. And see if it made any difference at all. But don't expect it to actually make any difference if the install got canceled or you get some error message when installing.

But atleast you got new fresh drivers on your computer!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 04:49:37 am by Red »
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Rak$ha

Re: (PROBLEM WITH VISUALS?) Updating your graphic cards drivers!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 07:59:49 am »
Red is amazing, isn't he people? C:

Offline impressiveblu

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Yes, i am insane please dont change that =3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 08:05:28 am »
i agree with Raksha! Red be Epicly awsome

SnowShadow

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 05:35:30 pm »
When will we be able to play if it say "Cannot Connect to front server?"

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile

Offline Uroak

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 06:22:27 pm »
I don't have anything in my control panel that says Programs and Features...I only have these:

Appearance and Themes
Network and Internet Connections
Add or Remove Programs
Sounds, Speech and Audio Devices
Performance and Matinence
Printers and Other Hardware
User Accounts
Accesibiltity Options
Security Center
Date, Time, Language and Regional Options

I attempted to look in the Add and Remove Programs area, but the ATI thing you mentioned isn't there. What should I do?

Offline Hitomi

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 06:40:26 pm »
I do not know.. If I should make a new post about this or I should just use this for a reply. But  to say for instance what happens if you have a game Graphic card that does support your computer/laptop anymore? Like for instance.. My laptop is a Windows XP Home edtion # 3 and the game card graphic is an "Intel" Intel does not support my system anymore and when I went to update the graphics for it.. Intel only had 2 updates for me to use and it was an 2007 and a 2005 update. So would it be ok, if I just unistall Intel (R) Graphics and install the ones that you had posted up on the link? Or should I just forget the whole Ideal, because the computer has a diffrent operating system.. and installing something like that can mess up my whole laptop?  :-\ I am kind of new at laptops and so far I have bad luck with them >_< so I thought asking you would be a better Ideal before I "kill or destroy" the laptop.

I am sorry for the bad grammer I am still learning  :P

Offline shell_prisoner

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 07:31:34 pm »
Most of Intel's videocards do not support FBOs (at least in Windows operating system). Try reading this topic, and report if it will help.

Mercy

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 08:41:45 pm »
I have the same problem as Jela above with nothing in the control panel that leads to what your talking about. Your a genius already Red, thank you so much for this help already. Now if you can help us out with this last challenge you will my absolute hero. :D

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 04:27:02 am »
I don't have anything in my control panel that says Programs and Features...I only have these:

Appearance and Themes
Network and Internet Connections
Add or Remove Programs
Sounds, Speech and Audio Devices
Performance and Matinence
Printers and Other Hardware
User Accounts
Accesibiltity Options
Security Center
Date, Time, Language and Regional Options

I attempted to look in the Add and Remove Programs area, but the ATI thing you mentioned isn't there. What should I do?

Sounds abit like the control panel is set to another view. I "think" That if you look on the left when inside the control panel, there's something called "classic view". If you'd change to that you will probably be able to see "Program and features". If not. Well look for something called. Programs And under it there should be something with the name uninstall program. It should bring you to a list with most of the things installed on your computer. Some maybe in your case Add or remove programs.

The window should look something like this http://techiedan.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/uninstall-program-from-vista.jpg

I do not know.. If I should make a new post about this or I should just use this for a reply. But  to say for instance what happens if you have a game Graphic card that does support your computer/laptop anymore? Like for instance.. My laptop is a Windows XP Home edtion # 3 and the game card graphic is an "Intel" Intel does not support my system anymore and when I went to update the graphics for it.. Intel only had 2 updates for me to use and it was an 2007 and a 2005 update. So would it be ok, if I just unistall Intel (R) Graphics and install the ones that you had posted up on the link? Or should I just forget the whole Ideal, because the computer has a diffrent operating system.. and installing something like that can mess up my whole laptop?  Undecided I am kind of new at laptops and so far I have bad luck with them >_< so I thought asking you would be a better Ideal before I "kill or destroy" the laptop.

I am sorry for the bad grammer I am still learning  Tongue
I'm not completely sure how you meant this. But I think I'd stay away from trying installing if I were you. You need the right drivers for the right graphics card you are using. Installing something else would not help. Not even sure if it would install at all. I suggest the same as shell did.

If there's no new drivers for the components you are happening to be using. Try that instead.

I have the same problem as Jela above with nothing in the control panel that leads to what your talking about. Your a genius already Red, thank you so much for this help already. Now if you can help us out with this last challenge you will my absolute hero. Cheesy
My bad if it doesn't. Sometimes It can get abit off if there's another OS or as in my case, trying to translate some stuff over to english. Try looking for eet wiff the stuff I wrote on her post. Maibe that helps