Author Topic: Bringing back old maps along with keeping the post-patch maps.  (Read 2374 times)

Offline kedasmo

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • Here comes the Wild Dog Inu!
    • Caramelshiba
    • Shiba Milk
    • Caramelshiba
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Bringing back old maps along with keeping the post-patch maps.
« on: September 14, 2018, 06:50:32 pm »
EDIT: also that character selection scene background needs a major update. older one looked at least a little bit more aesthetically pleasing. the words are squished. needs a better bg!

i'm almost positive there is plenty of posts with this idea, not entirely sure though.

when the patch came out i was extremely excited for it but a little disheartened they removed the older maps, not saying the newer ones aren't good or discrediting the work put into them. however, most of the new maps are not used at all and FH has lost so many members after the patch :/ it seems most of the new maps are too small. the only maps i see used are The Grounds, Eastern Pass(semi used), and Cherika Valley. I absolutely love Cherika Valley because it gives me the Fluorite plains vibes but its just small-ish..

i really think the community could become more active again with of course map updates and fixes, NEW maps, and including the older maps as well. maybe in Lonely cave they could have a portal to the old lonely cave and thats where you can access the old FH places?

Kiwimbi Beach and Zama Grotto are never used and frankly not the nicest id like to see updates on that and a snowy map!! If anything, i'd just like a large type Fluorite plains map for rping.

i hope this is helpful and i really hope to not be rude or sound like the old FH is better because i really respect the work put into the update. it's just sad seeing so many members leaving because of it and i think bringing back older iconic ones could bring in more members
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 06:58:19 pm by kedasmo »

Signature and avatar art by me

Offline Nephrite

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
    • nephriite
    • View Profile
Re: Bringing back old maps along with keeping the post-patch maps.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 06:58:18 pm »
I think this would be cool! I think it was mentioned somewhere that the next patch would have a snowy map in it, but I’d love to see some of the older ones like Flourite Plains and Ascension return! I think it would be cool to see Atlantis and Kiwimbi combined, as there wasn’t much in Atlantis itself to be interesting, but perhaps having another element to Kiwimbi would attract more people there?

I’d also love to see a predominantly forest map somewhere. I think a forest/mountain map would be incredible! However the new patch goes though, I’m super excited for it and know that the FH creators are working very hard on it. <3

Offline Valar.Morghulis

• “Sometimes before we can usher in the new, the old must be put to rest.“
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 115
  • The many-faced God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 08:34:01 pm »
Oh yes that character selection scene background is just.. I can’t even with it xD I always download the one that was made by someone else online.
Yes I agree with the map sizes, I think that they should definitely be bigger. I miss the size of fluorite plains map! This does take a lot of time because they want to make everything look very nice and detailed, unlike how Fluorite seemed very empty. But with proper detail it would’ve looked amazing! I’m pretty sure that fluorite is being remade in some way, considering that spoiler photo they gave us ;)

https://linktr.ee/Obsxura
Profile by Cittrus-fruit | Signature by Mistrel-Fox

Flurr

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 08:52:45 pm »
Yep, I 100% agree the background needs a change! I loved the old one, but I still have it since I still have the old 1.13 download.

A lot of people would like something like this. We all accept the nostalgia of the old maps, including me. I like the new maps too. I know that the patch has caused some members to leave. The new maps I think are very good and the staff put very hard work into them. I liked the old maps too, but I guess we just have to be happy with what we get! In my opinion, I think they should bring back some old maps, keep some new maps, and add some new ones! There are other people who have remade the old maps, and you can search them up if you don't have them yet :). I usally don't really go to kiwimbi  and zama a lot since all I see are people roleplaying, and I not a really big roleplayer but they are still very smooth, neat maps that im sure a lot of effort was put into them. I do think they may bring back fluorite because in the sneak peek they showed on the regarding patch progress, and I matched it up since I have the old maps download and it was exactly the same! Your idea is very interesting to me ^^! 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 08:54:33 pm by Flurr »

Offline kedasmo

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • Here comes the Wild Dog Inu!
    • Caramelshiba
    • Shiba Milk
    • Caramelshiba
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 11:43:30 pm »
Yep, I 100% agree the background needs a change! I loved the old one, but I still have it since I still have the old 1.13 download.

A lot of people would like something like this. We all accept the nostalgia of the old maps, including me. I like the new maps too. I know that the patch has caused some members to leave. The new maps I think are very good and the staff put very hard work into them. I liked the old maps too, but I guess we just have to be happy with what we get! In my opinion, I think they should bring back some old maps, keep some new maps, and add some new ones! There are other people who have remade the old maps, and you can search them up if you don't have them yet :). I usally don't really go to kiwimbi  and zama a lot since all I see are people roleplaying, and I not a really big roleplayer but they are still very smooth, neat maps that im sure a lot of effort was put into them. I do think they may bring back fluorite because in the sneak peek they showed on the regarding patch progress, and I matched it up since I have the old maps download and it was exactly the same! Your idea is very interesting to me ^^! 

Me too! I saw that sneak peek as well and downloaded the olds maps for nostalgic reasons and if by a rare change there would be a few people in the maps. Yes, that shot was most definitely taking under the bridge in Flourite plains. *_* i seriously cannot wait for what they are bringing into the game. Im glad they are listening and putting in the love. I cannot wait to see Fluorite back in the game and hopefully some other old ones and of course, new ones.

Signature and avatar art by me

Offline LadySigyn

• Let me guess... someone stole your sweetroll?
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 02:24:16 am »
I can understand why most users are iffy about the current maps, and the way the latest patch turned out. I do like the new maps, but the old ones were the ones I grew up playing with, and it will always be nostalgic to me. Although, I do appreciate the time and effort from the staffers put into making the current ones. As for activity, I believe the population of this community started declining before the patch, but kept dropping when it was released. Also, keep in mind that a lot of the users from back in the day are growing up now, so their time for being online might be limited. And while I've noticed a bunch of old users who've become active recently, it would be nice to see more people who are able to play, taking interest in the game again.

Regarding the progress for the new patch, it does look like there is a chance Fluorite is being remade, which is probably everyone's favourite map because it was so large and nice. That map and Bonfire were my personal favourites, although I did like the look of Sky's Rim. I also see a snow map is being made which is really exciting, too. I have high hopes for the new patch, it's looking really good so far, despite only having a couple of sneaky peaks heh.

As for the background in the character selection, I get why users would want something more detailed. The old one was nice, though, but I'm sure the staff have many ideas for a new background. If not, then there's always ones that you're able to download and put into your game. (8

Who knows, maybe activity will pick up with the release of this new patch. I surely hope so! I'm sure it'll be amazing, as the staff always do an incredible job.

Offline Astraea

• ❤ Positivity ❤
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 186
  • previously esarosa
    • Esar0sa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 04:44:53 pm »
I totally agree with a lot of what was said here.

It is true, after the patch, numbers dropped, hard. Especially with General chat being removed. That was the #1 source for advertising and regarding groups -- nowadays you can barely find ANYONE. And it is frustrating, especially for group owners. I also agree the maps are very VERY small. I personally think Cherika Valley is gorgeous yes, but like all of the other new maps, they are tiny. I totally think they should bring back older maps, maybe revamped though. That would be nice. A revamped, more detailed Fluorite Plains and other popular ones like Bonfire Islands. Though, I think from the sneak peeks I saw stone bridge. A snow map would be useful too, South Pole was my childhood.

I would also really much enjoy a new character screen. The white is just -- so hard on the eyes and it IS hard to make a character correctly with a plain white background.

I have full faith in the staff team though. <3 You guys are doing great!
not active here anymore ♡

Offline Giorno

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Ground Control to Major Tom;
    • midnightPepsi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 12:30:17 pm »
I have to say this thread describes my thoughts pretty well.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the new maps are bad (I mean think about it, it's amazing how the staff were even able to roll out this update at all considering the fact that there's no access to the source code; it's something to be applauded), but removing the old maps entirely might not have been the best idea. When you have a game that's as old as FH, all the locations in it start to develop a sort of culture behind them, and taking that away can sometimes lead to confusion, or frustration. This might partially be at fault for the number of players trickling down, in my opinion, as well as the reason why most players camp out in The Grounds nowadays. There's no real sense of structure anymore so people just congregate in the first map the game drops them into.

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way, I really appreciate all the work the staff has and continues to put into this game and I have no doubt we'll continue to improve both as a game and as a community.

[BIO] -x- // [DISCORD] filthy mccree main#1781

ZombieKitteh

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 10:42:19 pm »
Everyone here has already summed up my words, so,

Yes please.

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 07:45:42 am »
In theory an old, really big, empty map with some glitchy rock slabs could be added for people to roleplay in, but if it's not a plain copy of an old map like Fluorite plains(with some potential sparkles) on top of it, no one would care for it in the same way as an old Fluorite plains would, even if you used the same textures or same objects. There would be no "new" place like stone bridge unless it was a copy of that too, and with all the newer maps in the game now and how they are laid out I'm not sure people would be willing to run that far and truly start populating those areas again.

There is no point in making two different FH worlds one old and unmodified and one new, and have two copies of something like lonely cave when one of them is visually a disaster and bring nothing worthwhile to the game, truly the only purpose lonely cave was made to begin with was to move the spawn out of the old Bonfire Island and get people to split out a bit more to other maps, south pole really just appear like a last minute effort, and even when it was new people thought it was a complete disappointment, but people grew to like it since it was the only real snow map in the game for all those years.

It truly is a problem that there were no true standard for maps back then, and that the game had to go for so long without any proper updates to them, left a lot of people shocked from change that should've been good. It's an amusing thought if FH would've had these new maps from day one, and then instead get scrapped and get all the old ones as an "update", I doubt it would've had anywhere near a good reception and I'm sure people know this even if they might not feel it in their hearts.

There's a small more functional obstacle too, that could be worth mentioning even though it has been posted in the past. The old maps were made with old object groups thrown together in haste with what I could assume being the actual game creator himself, these are object names that are not compatible well with the new ones I put together myself that is used for mapping and that you guys can even use yourself in the map maker(the way it should've been from the start), importing the old maps they probably would either not have all the objects or they wouldn't be placed correctly or interfere with names of the new ones, which essentially means you'd need to re-decorate them, and in that case you might as well make a better map as a whole.

There's a second thing to, and that is that all maps had no thought of actual location to them or where the destination was. You ran through portals and gates and it never faced you in the right direction, there were no sense of heading or where you were going. Minimap was not used properly, and really it was just random worlds connected by some black portals, not an actual world you ran through like it is now. If you head east, you end up east, if you go north, you end up north, that was not the case before. If these old maps were added that would also need to be taken into account, and somehow in a frankenstein creation way placed inside to make sense with the rest, not to mention how every single map except ficho or last cave, being caves, had super visible "invisible" walls where the world ended just like it was flat, or you could see the ground get cut off into nothingness, all the maps present now have some sort of distant landscape to cut of the maps and hills around them to give some sort of sense of a world for a player running through, but it also has the effect of feeling small, even though they are sometimes much bigger than their counter parts(with an exception of fluorite plains).

A snow map was always planned from the starting gate for the patch, same thing goes for climbing maps like AI as well, it just that time started to really tick and instead of throwing out rushed or empty maps it was put on hold until a future update that sadly has taken staff a lot longer than I at least intended it for. It's just that the design was really a seamless world that slowly changed in look to colder or different climates instead of a random teleport to a random universe every time you went through a gate like in the old game, to give a sense of travel and exploration. I'm sad to see we still haven't managed to get people that, just as well as I'm still longing for an actual Savannah map that was planned as well to be released in a future patch.

At most I could see to see a re-worked version of something like FP as a throwback to old times with maybe some iconic locations like a stone bridge in it, but then it wouldn't truly be FP. But there's no use throwing in an old map like that unless it had the same old spotlight like it did in the old game, where most maps were quite empty and the layout of the world didn't have much paths for exploration.

There's many reasons why some of the old maps never made it into the the patch that happened many years ago, and it always haunted the update that it didn't hold the same nostalgia. From a technical standpoint I have personally no issues with bigger maps, snow maps, maps looking like FP or based on ideas around the old ones, but they were empty, had little to no detail and connected in a broken way along with disorganized object groups that just added extra clutter to bring with the new clean game. The biggest problem I really feel now with the new game is The grounds and how possibly I should've made it more simple and made in such a way that people don't want to sit right next to the portal, and instead more flat space in the middle to appear more like old bonfire. And appeal to that kind of playerbase.

It could be worth to bring back some features that people really liked or remember, but certainly not whole maps similar to what it was.
Former community manager of FeralHeart