Author Topic: Snowy map and weather?  (Read 2480 times)

Offline pickles82

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Your local shaman~!
    • gore-gen
    • View Profile
Snowy map and weather?
« on: October 08, 2018, 04:24:55 pm »
I remember really liking south pole but the problem was that it was too big and hard to find the portals
 Perhaps for wolf packs and other snow related rps, we could have a tundra map. Like a tundra map with little streams that have grass sticking out of the frozen water, or based off of what Yellowstone looks like in the winter? It could also help some packs who have seasonal events.
 Also pack of the intrepidus is having a heavy rainy season. Perhaps in the next patch we could add weather cycles to different maps? I know it's possible and I think it could add some atmosphere.
Sig/Icon by me
In-game User: Pickles82

Offline Michen_S

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
    • michensneeuwhart
    • View Profile
Re: Snowy map and weather?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 04:43:00 pm »
Don't worry too much about it. The staff were already busy with a winter map for the upcoming update! We're still in the dark for when it's going to be out though, so it could take a while, and it HAS been almost ten months since the staff came with it.
Here's the update thread.

Other than that, it is possible to add your own weather to a map. I've even seen a sandstorm somewhere. I'm not sure if that also counts for weather cycles though. So far all custom maps that support changing precipitation have had precipitation at the same time, suggesting that this might be decided server-side.

Offline Astraea

• ❤ Positivity ❤
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 186
  • previously esarosa
    • Esar0sa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 05:06:07 pm »
I actually believe a snow map is going to be released soon in the next patch, you can find out about it through the link Michen put above me. And yes, it is possible to make weather for custom maps but -- I myself have never done it. I've done skies but not weather, not yet at least. There are a couple of tutorials out there if you are interested that I have found after some digging;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3W-DaQdaYs.
https://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=62143.0.

I hope these can be of use to you. <3

not active here anymore ♡

Offline Azurain

• 🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃
  • Member Of The Season
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 183
  • an actual forest gremlin
    • lark-bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 05:12:17 pm »
While there is going to be a snow map of course, I do love the idea of a map that's sort of stuck between Cherika's and the new snow map's environment. Not quite as thawed out as Cherika, but not as frozen as the new snow map. Really love it.

Offline pickles82

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Your local shaman~!
    • gore-gen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 07:11:06 pm »
Don't worry too much about it. The staff were already busy with a winter map for the upcoming update! We're still in the dark for when it's going to be out though, so it could take a while, and it HAS been almost ten months since the staff came with it.
Here's the update thread.

Other than that, it is possible to add your own weather to a map. I've even seen a sandstorm somewhere. I'm not sure if that also counts for weather cycles though. So far all custom maps that support changing precipitation have had precipitation at the same time, suggesting that this might be decided server-side.
I actually believe a snow map is going to be released soon in the next patch, you can find out about it through the link Michen put above me. And yes, it is possible to make weather for custom maps but -- I myself have never done it. I've done skies but not weather, not yet at least. There are a couple of tutorials out there if you are interested that I have found after some digging;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3W-DaQdaYs.
https://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=62143.0.

I hope these can be of use to you. <3

I'm not talking about custom maps I'm talking about the official maps. Sitting in the grounds with absolutely no weather is a little weird to me. Also I dont think I've ever seen rain in any of the other maps either like Cherika or Bonfire
Sig/Icon by me
In-game User: Pickles82

Offline Astraea

• ❤ Positivity ❤
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 186
  • previously esarosa
    • Esar0sa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 07:39:43 pm »
I'm not talking about custom maps I'm talking about the official maps. Sitting in the grounds with absolutely no weather is a little weird to me. Also I dont think I've ever seen rain in any of the other maps either like Cherika or Bonfire

Ohh, I see. I am sorry for the misinterpretation. I agree myself, having some rain or snow would bring some character to the maps in game. Maybe this is something the staff team will implement in future patches regarding the maps. I hope so myself! For now, we will have to wait unfortunately. <3
not active here anymore ♡

Offline BirdyBlu

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 17
  • `Snuggle Puddle`
    • Ally Nice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 10:23:04 pm »
I love this idea! Nice thinking.
.: Birdy Blu is just for You! :.

Signature image by @Pocketmutt

Offline Ame88

• ❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄ Winter is a .' - ` , ' - . ` timeless ' , ` - '. ` , - ' . season. - ', - ` , ' - . ` , Everything ' , ` - . ' , ` . freezes. `_,_'_-_._`_,_-
  • Admin
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 216
  • Yeah I believe in Bigfoot. Nessi and Kovu too!
    • Ame88thewolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 03:16:03 am »
That's actually a really neat idea! I can see patches of mud here and there with the occasional stone and of course lumps of remaining snow. There could be cave with icicles remaining that, if put together correctly or a particle was made you could make it look as if it's dripping from being melted. There could be a mix between snowfall and rainfall (if possible, I haven't messed with the weather maker all that much) due to the ever rebalancing of warming and cooling climate. Rivers could be made due to the melting snow as well as a lake from the gathering water.

Sorry if I just kinda exploded on ya, I love snowy things and making maps XD
You're giving me ideas to make my own map now x)

But, it would be really cool to see this map placed between Cherika and the new map that's coming (a full fledged snow map) to make it feel more realistic, as if you're traveling through the land to the colder area.

I don't know if that would be possible to be placed inside the game due to wanting to keep it relatively simple, but I do hope the mods consider it!

Sorry if I'm like, way off, but you just gave me that idea x) The map looks really cool in my head.

Also, I think adding weather cycles to the other maps would be a fun idea. I have seen a lack in rainy area, but that could just be me not visiting the other maps that much.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 03:17:37 am by Ame88 »

Profile picture by Telluric
Thank you ;u;
Bio | My Creations
Renegade Row | FeralHeart Resort

Offline Michen_S

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
    • michensneeuwhart
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 04:37:26 pm »
Oh, you want weather in the DEFAULT maps. Well, that'd be very interesting to see. Maybe even thunderstorms? Although, the game doesn't go kind on weather, as rain and snow have a tendency to lag the game for me (especially snow) or otherwise just crash the game entirely. It'd be really nifty, but then there needs to be a way to introduce it without people being unable to enter The Grounds.

Offline Fantasia

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 10
  • Imagination is more important than knowledge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 07:48:07 pm »
This is a great idea. I love snow. <3 And it's winter soon :D
Hello there, Obi Wan Kenobi.