Poll

Should English be the only allowed language in General chat?

Yes, English only.
64 (67.4%)
No, any language should be allowed.
31 (32.6%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Author Topic: Language Rule  (Read 24815 times)

Offline Hamilton

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 102
  • Stand your ground.
    • View Profile
Re: Language Rule
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 06:23:08 pm »
I am the only one so far voting any language. :-\

I believe any language should be allowed. It's anyone's fault that they can't speak English, it's not fair. If you get annoyed, TURN GENERAL OFF. Some people think it spams up the the chat, I disagree.

Spam (Verb):
"Send the same message indiscriminately to (large numbers of recipients) on the Internet."

Being such, I believe it's not spam. They are simply talking.

I know almost everyone will disagree, but this is my opinion.

Thank You.

I have no other civil words to add here. :|

Offline Jitters

• Mutant Turtle
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 146
  • Hero in a Half Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 06:30:00 pm »
But it isn't just about being annoying, it is about mods understanding what is going on. How can they do their jobs properly is they can't understand what is being said? I believe FH should be English in General chat because that is what the mods speak.

Offline wolffox

• COOL MOM
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 188
  • icon by T0XIIIC, sig by Bawfle <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 09:24:24 pm »
It's not about spamming or people not liking another language. It's just the fact that the staff speaks English, as well as most of the other users. :T

Rak$ha

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 12:30:47 am »
^
that

Plus I don't understand how it'll make us 'racist' since most other games are english only as well.

Offline wolffox

• COOL MOM
  • Community Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 03:18:25 am »
It just makes the game easier to play for the majority of FH users. People who don't speak another language can always-... -trails off, distracted by Rak's sig-

...Anyways. o_o; They can always ask their friends to translate or ask for help for them. And they would still be able to talk in any language they want in local chat.

Offline Tigg

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Your right hand on 3D-Meshes
    • t-i-g-g
    • channel/UCKuFJTwBJf94Tq07oVBNMrA
    • TiggDarkfury
    • View Profile
    • Isla Thanatos Gameserver
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 11:32:32 am »
Ok, other scenario.

What will you do if someone uses another language in general?
Will you go along and tell them to stop, use another chat?
What if they wont do it?
Will you kick them? Will you even ban them if they go on? Because if so then its -not- right. You cant punish someone for using their native language, just because they wont understand english. If you tell them to stop.. you can obvious guess: They.wont.understand.you.anyways!
Other games are in english, yes, but i never saw a rule in them that you only are allowed to talk english. at least i never saw a -serious and well lead- game.

There will be always other languages since the ones with bad english do not go on here reading the rules we made. Why? cause they wont understand them anyways. Obvious that the rule wont come up to the ppl we want to not talk in general, it wont help to have it.

By the way i dont see any much other languages besides english in general.

Offline wolffox

• COOL MOM
  • Community Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 01:59:07 pm »
Hmm, Tigg has a point. I don't see many other languages in General besides English. And if there are, the people speaking them usually move to local pretty quickly when General Chat fills up with people who speak English.
Eh, except in Ficho late at night, there's nothing but Polish in General. It doesn't bother me too much but I honestly I don't know if they're cussing at me or anything cause, I don't speak Polish.

I understand about the rule thing, though. Kicking/banning a person for simply speaking their language... That does sound kinda wrong.
But there ARE groups of people that speak other languages. Rus, for example. They don't go filling up General with the Russian language because they have something on the end of their name that lets us know they speak Russian and Russian only. And they keep it to local chat. Maybe it could be a rule that people who speak any other language but English have to add something like that to the end of their character's name?

Nevertheless, I do still think there should be English only in General, at least for the most part, since most of the staff only speaks English anyways.

CallofDutyGirl

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 02:43:34 pm »
Or we could have seperate mods for seperate languages? A different server or map for different languages? I don't know, but I'm sure someone will figure something out. I think that english only for general chat, maybe english only for local, and the rest of them you could probably do whatever language.

Offline Kyugima

• Dovahkiin
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
  • Koo Koo Kachoo
    • View Profile
    • DropJaw
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2011, 08:20:50 pm »
^ Having english only for local AND General kinda restricts people speaking other languages... Considering they then can't talk at ALL.

please click here! Help me raise my pokemon!
Signature: Kyugima, Rimfrost, Deafosho

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2011, 10:54:12 pm »
I do honestly not know which side I stand on here.

But just a thinker for everyone out there no matter what.

If the users doesn't even understand the slight of the English language..

How do we know they read/understand any of the rules that exist for the game?

How do we know they actually follow the rules and terms given that everyone else must follow no matter what? Some mods and rules here are rather strict, and if they don't even understand when they're warned for an action they're doing it's 100% their cause if they end up getting kicked off the server.

It shouldn't matter if they don't understand them if everyone else that does must follow them. We can't just give them an exception, and even though I have a rather small vocabulary when it comes to other langs I catch people saying swears in other langs fairly often actually.

Maybe tolerance will be needed from some of the users in the game when it comes to other languages in the chats. Local is fine and all, but since this is general chat we're most likely talking about now I can see how both parties have a valid point.

Kicking and banning someone for speaking their language does sound wrong, but kicking and banning someone that doesn't follow the given rules doesn't. I personally think that stopping people from using the general chat in another language would be just as hard as stopping the trolling/pointless crap people write in english.

Rule for only english in general I'm not sure about if I'd like to see. But making it a situation where using the "not understand warnings" as an argument feels kinda dry to me since every user should follow the given rules even if we add a new one.
Former community manager of FeralHeart