Author Topic: Canyon - a map [I'm working on] DONE ~ By Raphilion  (Read 6084 times)

Offline Raphilion

• HOLD MY MOM
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 65
  • WARNING: I'm a bad friend
    • View Profile
    • DA profile
Canyon - a map [I'm working on] DONE ~ By Raphilion
« on: July 16, 2012, 05:23:59 pm »
Le Canyon Download
Post in Finished Maps showing final screenies and a short story explaining the environment

Hi all, just thought I'd share a natural-environment map I'm busy creating. It's gonna be my first so be nice XD
It's gonna be a canyon type of environment hence the name with a river winding between high cliffs and I might add a waterfall. I've created part of the map so far and I've created a sort-of beta-version on FH for me to run around on with my char, take screenies and observe for any possible faults in the design and plan ahead. I haven't smoothed out the edges yet as it's still a WIP (Work In progress) but I at least made a mask to go with the beta just to get a feel for it.

below I'll attach some screenies of the WIP and prev Fail-versions from where I got the idea.
Watch this space for progress shots.
Oh, and I will make this one public as a celebration, for when (if) i succesfully complete this map. So please feel free to add any suggestions before it is done.
Thanks to wildcat26 for her channel's tutorials on Youtube which helped me get around the GIMP program and how to use it to make heightmaps and masks.

BTW: Any updates regarding screenies will go in this post and newer updates will be headed under different colours to make it easier for you to track updates

Little water pond at the top of the first canyon

Gulley in the middle of the 1st canyon

Awesome views :) Of course more canyons will be placed between the other river-bends

Don't fall in!

Prev version - a little beach on the edge of the map.. I plan on adding one as well to the new version

River Mouth THEN

River Mouth NOW - But I'm thinking changing the colour to a more rocky texture as a oceanic beach rather than a lake-beach doesn't g well with this environment

Chilling on my new BETA map :P

A sort of deep valley in the new canyon-mountain I added next to the first one

Drinking under the moonlight by the river -  Note: The change in river-bed texture

Newest addition to my set of cliffs.. This one is special, it's in the shape of a R - As in my username's initial. Another cliff will be shaped in an L for the Lion part in my username

Changed the river ever so slightly

Border is in the process now as it's relatively easy.. but I may change it a bit, some of the peaks are a little too sharp at the top

Are you as excited as I am? You better be :P The newest addition.. the L cliff with a huge pool at the top. There's a weird glitch where if you have ocean on and the pool goes as deep as the ocean level then you'll see the ocean near bottom of pool and if you float up slowly from under it, you wont continue raising to surface unless you raise up fast. Besides, it looks weird so I'm not gonna leave the pool as deep as I originally wanted, but it will still be very deep
BTW: I'm standing about midway, in a small pool, between where I hope to put two consecutive waterfalls, if I can get my hands on that object. If you know where I can get waterfall.object, preety pleez tell meh

Ok, I may have been inactive with regards to the map over the past weekend. But I finished the heightmap D: and now I will start placing vegetation and stuff. The look on my face when I realized that one of the waters went a bit to far :0 But it's all fixed now

Yay, I added a waterfall XD

What's this? Hmm, find out for yourself.. It's not my BEST job, but it's still a cool addition to my map

Smoothed out slopes and the river banks look SO much better than the steps they used to look like O_o I will still have to make a new Mask.png as the first version is only a rough

My trusty Ingonyama surveying the finished terrain from above

Ok, I've finally finished the two masks in order to have 4 different textures in the map :) and I'm in the process of adding objects in, like this tree for a bit of shade by the river-mouth. Not much shade, so first come first-served XD
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:45:19 am by Raphilion »

My Canyon Map
Avatar by the Awesome Ruji / Michala

Thierry

Re: Canyon - a map I'm working on ~ By Raphilion
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 06:10:56 pm »
It is looking good.
Just a TIP may help to make smoother terrains, when you finish the heigh map, just do a very light blur.
Also use a heigh map of 16bits instead of the standar 8bits, this help a lot.
Also you can do a heigh map of 1025x1025 is you are making a big map.

Offline Raphilion

• HOLD MY MOM
    • View Profile
    • DA profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 07:26:07 pm »
Thanks Thierro..

I can't quite figure how to change from 8bit to 16bit.. Please help with that? It doesn't give me that option when I open a new canvas or when I export..
So by 1025X1025, you mean pixels, right? Cause the turorials said that FH only works with 513X513 pixels. That will help when I decide to make a larger map which I already have an idea for.. but first I wanna get good with making maps.

My Canyon Map

Thierry

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 07:36:52 pm »
about the 16bits image, im not sure if gimp can do it, but i can do it at photoshop 7. If you want you can send me the heigh map by PM, and i can convert it.

About the 1025X1025, yes i mean pixels, I never used a height map so big at FH, but im almost sure it can support it (other Ogre games does, why FH not?). anyway i will try that later to confirm.

Offline Tokoa

• Floof-O-Meter: 33
  • Orange.
    • View Profile
    • http://tokoas.deviantart.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 08:08:43 pm »
It looks really good so far ;)

Icon by Aveo and sig by WingsandFeathers on DeviantArt.

Offline Raphilion

• HOLD MY MOM
    • View Profile
    • DA profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 08:20:14 pm »
:D
I tried 1025square pixels and it worked. it didn't work before when I tried another square-random value in between.. guess it's just certain specific standards that the game will accept and others that it won't. But it is good to know what works and what doesn't.. :)

My Canyon Map

Thierry

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 08:52:06 pm »
yes, It should be (2^n)+1
ex:
65, 129, 257, 513, 1025, 2049, 4097.
But i dont recommend bigger values than 1025 because it will eat much memory.

An 1025x1025 image will be rezized in the ram memory as 2048x2048
and 2049x2049 as 4096x4096, guess so much memory can eat an image of that size... a lot!

Offline Raphilion

• HOLD MY MOM
    • View Profile
    • DA profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 06:44:09 pm »
This a newest addition to my map.. what you guys think? be honest; is it fine or too boring? I'm considering changing it a bit and making it more into a tall and skinny turret

My Canyon Map

Thierry

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 05:30:44 pm »
The height map is nice, but the map it self i can not tell you if will be good until you start to place objects around.

Learn to use the object maker, here is a good tutorial about:
http://www.feral-heart.com/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=2&jfile=index.php&topic=10002.msg138372#msg138372

TIP: Don't forget to make your own object groups and don't modify the default ones (MyPlants, MyRocks, etc.)

Explore the content of FeralHeart folder to see what it is inside of FeralHeart\media\objects, explore what meshes there are in, then load these meshes in object maker.
Download meshes and objects from users and make your objects groups with these. Here you can find a lot of objects: Link.