Author Topic: Feral Heart .exe opening in notepad  (Read 817 times)

Offline michigan

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Feral Heart .exe opening in notepad
« on: July 19, 2019, 05:36:46 pm »
Hello,
This is a bit complicated question, so please bear with me. My Feral Heart .exe opens in notepad, the desktop shortcut tells me the location of the .exe has been moved. Ive been having this problem since last night and the only short lived solution is to uninstall, grab a new installer from the website, and completely reinstall. Feral Heart can only run once before the .exe changed like i before mentioned.

Beforehand, I was trying to change my rendering subsystem by changing the code in the ogre.cfg file in order to try and see if i could get height maps to work. I told my computer to open all .cfg files in notepad so im wondering if that's the issue. Ive played around in my computers registry but the .exe still opens in notepad.

Attached are is the .exe in my file explorer and then what notepad displays if that can clue you into the issue. Any help is greatly appreciated  ;D

Offline Bloo.

• Space-Child ✌
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 191
  • nyoom
    • Bloopaloozer
    • Bloopalooza FH
    • aLittleProzium
    • Bloopalooza
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Re: Feral Heart .exe opening in notepad
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 05:50:39 pm »
Hey there! What a strange occurrence haha I'm almost positive it's happening because you changed it so .cfg files open in notepad! There are two possible fixes, the second fix is somewhat lengthy but shouldn't be too difficult if you're familiar with the way your computer runs and what not.

Fix 1

Run your command prompt and provide the following command: assoc. .exe=exefile

Fix 2

Step 1: Open your windows command prompt and type in cd\windows

Step 2: This activates your windows folder! Now type in regedit

Step 3: Scroll all the way to the top of the registry and find where it says "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and double click it

Step 4: Now scroll down until you find the .exe Look to the window in the right and double click where it says "Default". This will open a small window, you will see a box that's title "Value Data". Type "exefile" into that box

Step 5: Now scroll waaaay down until you find a folder with a dropdown titled "exefile". Within the dropdown go to shell, then open, then command.

Step 6: Once in command, look to your right window and double click "Default". Under Value Data type "%1" %*   Make sure you include the quotation marks in this one.

Step 7: Click okay and restart your windows and you should be all fixed!!

You are amazing <3

Offline michigan

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 02:10:21 am »
You are trying to open FH.txt which is the game's log file.

The game's exe is named FeralHeart.exe, which (according to your screenshot) is missing.

Most likely your antivirus thought the game is a virus. You can try adding FH to the expections list and that should prevent this from happening.

Duh. I realize that i was in fact opening the log file after my anti virus trashed the .exe, I just wasnt paying close enough attention. I added FH as an exception and everything is working smoothly now. Thank you!

Offline PrettyReckless

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 218
    • RecklessAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 02:44:15 am »
Locking this topic as the issue was resolved.
RETIRED.