Poll

Helped?

Yes
No

Author Topic: People who struggle to make height maps and mask.  (Read 17363 times)

Offline ritat

• Incarnated Angel
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 156
  • Will be inactive.
    • View Profile
People who struggle to make height maps and mask.
« on: September 04, 2013, 04:31:22 pm »
Simple, I am going to give you a hieght map tutorial and if I can I will give you all the information. (Some of the parts I took was from the manual but some people wont understand so I made another one right here c:):

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW06Rat6lq0

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tutorial on font: First up! We have to make a HeightMap.
Go into the FH folder.
Open. Media> Terrains
You will see all the map folders.
What I do is go into the Watermill map folder and 'copy' the heightmap (The grey picture) and rename it. Be sure to name it 'MapnameTerrain' (Ex: SuferiaTerrain) This way you have it already preset to the correct size and format without having to make a new file. (DON'T steal anybody else's height-maps!)
Open this newly created map in Gimp, or Photoshop. This is where you edit the map and make it your own.

If you were to create a heightmap on your own there's a few preferences it must follow and it has the very same as the heightmap used above and below. When your create/save a heightmap it must/should follow these rules.
1. It must be saved into a PNG format
2. It can only consist of 1 layer!(If you use more the game will crash upon importing it) Make sure you flatten/merge the layers on the image before saving it.
3. The image must be saved/edited in grayscale mode and cannot consist of or use colours(If not the game will crash)
4. The Image size should be even on both size, the standard size is 513 x 513 pixels.
5. The use of "Alpha Channel" should be left unmarked/turned off.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Grab the paintbrush tool and make it large. COMPLETELY erase the map that is already there by covering it over with black or a middle shade of gray. If you don't.... people have ways of finding out; and then things get ugly. Make sure every map is 100% your own!

(~Note~)
When coloring your height-map you should know that white represents the highest parts of your map. Black represents the lowest level or the deepest places on your map. I always color my map a shade of dark gray to start with like the picture above. So when it comes time to put in rivers and lakes it's easier. If you start on a black base, you can't go any lower.

7.) Now that you have that blank slate to work with; you can start giving your map character. Using varying shades of gray; mark where you want landmarks to be on your map. Such as hills, mountains, lakes and rivers.

White colour: Make hills, mountains etc.
Grey colour: Medium sized bumps. Now, it depends if you want to put the colour grey your ground height should be a lower colour than grey (Like dark grey or darker).
Black: Do make rivers or anything.

OKAY, if you want different parts of your maps to be in different ground this is what you should do...
This is called MASK

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1HLjeownUs
Video 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm59FCy4NJ4

I hope I helped out :D

Offline bluespirit123

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Re: People who struggle to make height maps and mask.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 02:20:27 am »
I already have made my map, but when I tried to open it in Map maker, it says ''FeralHeart.exe has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem.'' Or something along those lines. Also, when I opened the folder that had my map's name on it, the folder was empty. Please help, I am very new to map making, and I spent forever on this just to find out it doesn't work :c

ThrillexForLife

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 02:28:51 am »
I already have made my map, but when I tried to open it in Map maker, it says ''FeralHeart.exe has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem.'' Or something along those lines. Also, when I opened the folder that had my map's name on it, the folder was empty. Please help, I am very new to map making, and I spent forever on this just to find out it doesn't work :c

Hi there,

are you having trouble with your heightmap? If so, you should probably check this message to see what you did wrong^^

Your Heightmap should be something like this...

513x513
Only ONE Layer
Greyscale background

That's all. Hmm, if that doesn't help...Go here: MAP MAKER ISSUES: Look here if you're having problems

Good luck^^

Offline ritat

• Incarnated Angel
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 156
  • Will be inactive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 10:51:26 am »

Its because there is nothing on your file. You should either reput all the default objects, that will work. Go back to another map that you created and click the file. Then, copy the things that are on it. After that, paste it at the folder that does not have anything and rename them. If there are names before... Water.cfg, Gates.cfg etc. Rename them as you named your map. I hope that will work or follow this tutorial: MAP MAKER ISSUES: Look here if you're having problems

Offline Enoki

• Herba Chronographus
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
  • Who lives in a portabella under a tree?
    • FantasyFungus
    • EnokiTheDryphon
    • Enoki_G
    • View Profile
    • The Realms of Yugure
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 05:42:27 am »
Ok hey, I am not sure if anyone will see this, but I've been looking at all of this and no one has had my problem. When I finish my mask and export it to terrain, I go and it doesn't work properly. There is a dark patch that runs across the map and the two other splatches mix together and it makes it look all funny. What did I do wrong? I followed the tutorial exactly. If no one sees this I might just make a new thread. Someone please help.

Tmw you planned a ten minute nap but instead took a whole year.
☙Icon by dA JRProducts; Sig by PocketMutt❧

Offline TheApplePie

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 32
  • I breathe dan howell
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 12:16:02 pm »
This topic hasn't been posted in for a while now so it's better so keep it away.
I will PM you with all the details. c:

let's be emo in a gerard way

http://fiixl.deviantart.com/

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 01:29:28 pm »
On the contrary Ms. Fixl, this thread is quite okay to be posted in- even if it may be old in date- for it's a tutorial thread. Tutorials bring questions. Questions that the original thread creator can answer if they know the answer to said questions. While the lass would have gotten a response quicker should she have created a thread of her own, which she has, especially since madam Rita hasn't been 'round if I'm not mistaken, she can still post here nonetheless. No line crossed. Hopefully my reasonin' makes sense.
gone

Offline wolflover18178

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 18
  • Flower crowns make everyone happier.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 09:28:52 pm »
Can you also use the regular "Paint" to do this?
That's all I have.

AlphaEclipse

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 09:46:59 pm »
Can you also use the regular "Paint" to do this?
That's all I have.
I'm afraid not since you need the ability to put the "height map" into greyscale mode. I'd recommend downloading GIMP. [link] It's safe, and it has everything you need to make a map.

Offline StarBurst

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • I can't think what to put here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 09:06:44 am »
Hi, just a question-does mapmaking work with Paintbrush? Because it keeps telling me the file is not found even though I know I saved it in the right place.
There are 3 things I know about you:
1. You cannot touch all your teeth at once with your tongue.
2. You just tried it so you know its not true.
3. You are copying and pasting this into your own siggy.
Don't click this, really don't.  http://tinyurl.com/fhroleplay