Author Topic: Running FH On Mac Using Wineskin Only  (Read 3075 times)

Offline leda

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 35
  • leedle lee my dudes
    • https://rookfox.deviantart.com
    • View Profile
Running FH On Mac Using Wineskin Only
« on: March 21, 2020, 11:35:46 pm »
Making ANOTHER tutorial to try and help people who had to update their macs recently. ):
Hopefully this will help.  While I am quite fluent in mac, I do want to say I haven't updated.  I'll help any mac users in any way I can but I'm not exactly experiencing what you're experiencing.

The good news is, that wineskin and (if you saw my other tutorial) portingkit are actively updated programs, unlike PlayOnMac.  This means that even if these don't work, please know that the developers are bound to update sooner rather than later to help people with this unfortunate update!

1.  Download this (safe) download of wineskin here.  https://github.com/Gcenx/WineskinServer/tree/master/Winery You don't need to get the .txt file, only the wineskinwinery application.  If you are having trouble getting it, get the unarchiver, a free softwater that opens pretty much any download.  https://theunarchiver.com/

2.  If your mac says the software is unidentified, you can undo this by opening system preferences > going to security and privacy > clicking "open anyway" for wineskin.

3.  Now let's get down to business.  Upon opening, before you do anything, click the + sign at the bottom of the installed engines list to install a wine version needed to run feralheart.  You want the latest version of wine, which should be on the list near the bottom as WS11WineCX19.0.1 .  When you hit install, it might come up as "installing wine 5.6" but it's still the same thing.  Unfortunately I lack a screen for this part as I've already done it on my own! Sorry.  It's pretty easy though.

4.  Once WS11WineCX19.0.1 is under your list of "Installed Engines" go ahead and click new blank wrapper and name it whatever your heart desires, allowing wine to create it.  It's okay if it says it failed, mine did too and I still got FH to open!  YOU MUST CLICK VIEW WRAPPER IN FINDER.  If you don't do this it'll be hard to relocate the wrapper on your own since I'm not exactly sure where mac saves it.

5.  You should be brought to your newly created wrapper.  Keep the finder window open as you shouldn't move your wrapper until everythings set up.  Once the wrapper has "opened" click "install softwater" and you'll be prompted to locate the feralheart install file, click locate executable file.

6.  Feralheart should begin installing, looking like a windows window, you shouldn't need to change any settings except maybe installing the "Light" version rather than full.  Macs no like full version.

7.  After install you should be asked to locate the feralheart.exe to actually open the game.  Mine already had it selected and found after install.  Yours should too, otherwise search finder for it.

8.  Move your wrapper to your desktop for easy access, and you should now be able to click on the wrapper and let feralheart open.  You can right click on your wrapper and click "show in finder" then click "drive_c" and then "FeralHeart" to access files and install things like markings. 

If your FH is STILL not working..
Make sure you tried installing the light version rather than the full, make sure there are no other copies of feralheart on your computer, and if you've done those try experimenting with different or older wine engines, perhaps even a 64 bit engine.  To be frank I haven't fiddled with any engine except for the one I suggested and wine 5.0, so I couldn't recommend you one, I'm sorry!

and we must acknowledge worse case scenario...
feralheart may not run with any new mac updates... FOR NOW.  The last two tutorials I have provided using portingkit and wineskin are both programs that are still actively updated.  It sucks if you can't run FH and get in contact with friends right now, but keep in mind it'll likely be temporary until the developers of these programs swoop in and provide new engines.  There is a glimmer of hope, so don't give up just yet!

« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 03:38:37 am by leda »
find me in game as user leda, or see my feral heart dA, rookfox.deviantart.com !

Offline Amaranthe

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • holyyguacamole
    • stone-and-ichor
    • View Profile
Re: Running FH On Mac Using Wineskin Only
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 03:50:45 am »
When I try to download FH on Wineskin I get an error message saying "no executables found".
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 04:11:53 am by Amaranthe »