Author Topic: "Plotted" Roleplay Groups  (Read 2890 times)

Offline Niraash

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
"Plotted" Roleplay Groups
« on: April 22, 2020, 09:50:52 pm »

“Plotted” Roleplay Groups

Hello everyone!

My name is Niraash, but you can also refer to me as “Cecilia” as that is the name of my ‘Main Character’ that I use on Feral Heart.
But anyway, let’s cut to the chase: What’s the deal with the “plotted” groups on Feral Heart these days?
I have seen a lot of roleplay groups come and go, many of them Plotted these days. However, I can almost guarantee you [and of course there are exceptions] that most of the time it isn’t as “plotted” as you think, but rather, lore based. However, it seems as though when I join these groups with “plots” there is really no active story going on within the roleplay; resulting in dry and basic role plays most of the time.

For example → A typical “plot” that I see…

There is a natural disaster that has severely reduced the population into nothing. The abundance of prey has decreased due to the lack of vegetation present. Thus Alpha [Insert name here] has taken it upon his/herself to lead the remaining canines into, what could be, eventual prosperity.

Another example...

Two packs or tribes are at war with each other. Choose your side.

Or something along those lines...

Either way, these are the typical plots you see roaming around Feral Heart now. However, I will not deny that there are some groups who are really enthusiastic in pushing forward in plot advancement. Others? Not so much. I believe a plotted roleplay group must consist of ‘chapters’ or content being actively developed within the group as it proceeds through its own story; no matter how quickly or slowly the group may advance. Usually, groups simply have a group and occasionally reference back to the main theme of the group, but other than that, nothing much.

Thus, leading to my conclusion:
Lore Based Groups vs. Plot Based Groups
A lore based group → A general history or theme that the group is based on; with occasional references throughout roleplay. [which is a lot groups these days]

A plot based group → a roleplay with actual plot advancement, from beginning to end.

I suppose you can say that when I join a group and it's plotted, I expect that there is a genuine plot there is to follow or adhere to.

What are your thoughts? Let’s have a civil conversation!

[ Please note that all of this is simply opinion based! Wanna chat more, add me on discord! chungus#1706 ]
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 10:11:48 pm by Niraash »

Offline faewyn

• Lady of the Forest
  • Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 28
  • ᓚᘏᗢ embean
    • f-a-e-w-y-n
    • emxlybeth
    • View Profile
Re: "Plotted" Roleplay Groups
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 07:00:57 pm »
I agree with you on this! And Feralheart kind of lacks very creative roleplays nowadays. I think they say plot because they have hopes that their group can last longer and that they can add more to their roleplay. However, like most groups, they die out and never have a chance to advance. That's my thought on it.

Siggy by danysaurus

Offline Dark_heart

• Professional Razmirz's Cheese Stealer
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 83
  • -- Moving account --
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 07:25:09 pm »
I think it depends on people. If there are lazy people in the group who only intend to lie down or fool around, it is known that the group will not last long. Therefore, if you are in the RP group, be as creative as possible!
On new account Aiiokia

Offline Kitterr

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • joe mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 10:27:13 pm »
For some people it's hard to be active enough. That's how my first RP group, Tree of Ruined Wings, died out. No one was active. Nothing happened. We died before launch, too. I was still 'making' some stuff for it when I declared it dead. It was group developed too, and to see the people of the group not be active was.. sad. I'd done all this work for nothing. I usually work with lore, since I love writing it but, ToRW had a sort of plot, too. Sorta. The old leader had died and had no heir, which could develop rivalries, and then war. I, the owner, also would have given everyone a fair chance to become the leader, instead of driving the plot toward me becoming the leader, and the plot would weave itself from there maybe.. Yeah it was very loose. If only it had continued.. Would have been interesting and fresh.
I hope with my new group I can take in what you said and make an active group, thanks for laying this out to us all, friend!
i'm back cause i'm bored as hell.

Cilantro

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 03:31:51 am »
Honestly if you want a extravagant plot with tons of restrictions, write a book. I can get it if its an event or something, but a fleshed out roleplay of that sort is going to die out.

Offline Fallingfeather

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 06:08:00 pm »
I can definitely see what you mean here. Without a plot, people would likely feel directionless and won't know where to go next. However, I'm also... well, not great at roleplaying. I have a lot of IDEAS, but I always feel too nervous to actually DO anything out of fear of godmodding or just generally stepping on people's toes. What if I try to move the plot in a direction other people don't like? I could see why some people would want to have a pre-written idea of what's going to happen next in that case. It doesn't really matter what you do so long as everyone's working toward that end goal. I think a balance needs to be struck somewhere but... I've never actually done a plotted RP before so I don't really know how that would work. ;u;

SpicyDirt

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 06:30:32 pm »
I can definitely see what you mean here. Without a plot, people would likely feel directionless and won't know where to go next. However, I'm also... well, not great at roleplaying. I have a lot of IDEAS, but I always feel too nervous to actually DO anything out of fear of godmodding or just generally stepping on people's toes. What if I try to move the plot in a direction other people don't like? I could see why some people would want to have a pre-written idea of what's going to happen next in that case. It doesn't really matter what you do so long as everyone's working toward that end goal. I think a balance needs to be struck somewhere but... I've never actually done a plotted RP before so I don't really know how that would work. ;u;

There is always the fear that something like this may happen, but in most cases the group members won't be opposed. c: One way to combat that would be to work with the group to get the community input on what they think should be happening, or offer polls or other forms of voting! If/When you do start up a group, I am sure that the FH community would be more than happy to offer support and guidance!

Offline Dark_heart

• Professional Razmirz's Cheese Stealer
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 83
  • -- Moving account --
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 06:35:55 pm »

There is always the fear that something like this may happen, but in most cases the group members won't be opposed. c: One way to combat that would be to work with the group to get the community input on what they think should be happening, or offer polls or other forms of voting! If/When you do start up a group, I am sure that the FH community would be more than happy to offer support and guidance!
As SpicyDirt said, don't be afraid. I started group with my friend, and, let's be honest, I was really afraid. And then I just went with my thought - and first time od roleplaying was literally amazing. Plotted rps are cool, but when you go with your own thoughts it's really better. This is my little opinion c:
On new account Aiiokia

Offline Fallingfeather

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 08:11:18 pm »
I might try it sometime, then! :3 You guys sound quite nice to play with. Out of curiosity though, does anyone ever use a bit of randomness to determine the outcomes of RPs, such as stats and dice like a tabletop game? Or is it always freeform RP?

Offline Silvestria

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
    • HiddenDeception
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2020, 08:13:33 pm »
I might try it sometime, then! :3 You guys sound quite nice to play with. Out of curiosity though, does anyone ever use a bit of randomness to determine the outcomes of RPs, such as stats and dice like a tabletop game? Or is it always freeform RP?

A lot of roleplays that I have been in tend to be freeform, but I also know of some that do use probablities for realism.