Poll

Should Feral Heart receive a complete remake?

Yes
28 (41.8%)
Maybe, I'm neutral
18 (26.9%)
No
21 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: The Actual "New" Feral Heart?  (Read 5647 times)

Offline Arandomperson

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
    • View Profile
Re: The Actual "New" Feral Heart?
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 10:37:15 pm »
*Looks at current FH, than at a possible new FH* Why not both???
If a new FH is made, whos to say the old one will be deleted let alone shut down? And I have noticed that FH is frozen. Older games like Wolf quest are not. And new animal rpg games are being made. Example: CerealSoup, at the moment hard to play. But its in Alpha and yet to be polished. Once CS is however polished, it will fully exceed FH.

I do love FH, but I wouldn't mind a new one. New stuff the old one could not do. Heck. If we do get a new one, no more 4 item limit! Like whos idea was it to limit items? Could also replace the models will newer ones. But still keep the FH feel. And add more too.

FH has been left behind in the gaming industry. It cannot more forward anymore. All you can really do is place a band aid on a wound that will never heal and pretend its not there. I'm in fully for a new FH and would love to follow it and see it grow. But that doesn't mean the old FH is any good, or something will happen to it if a new one is made. And personalty, as a map maker. Would love to see what I could do with maps if there was a new FH and you can make maps.
Merrp

Offline Vilivikhorith

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • \n\n\n\n
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 01:54:38 am »
I wish FeralHeart could be like other games. Not just for updates, but also to fix bugs and finish the planned components like movie maker, and making the in-game report button functional. With access to the game's source code, you could make moderation easier, and in some cases, even unnecessary. You could cater to a changing community with better features.
That's my thoughts, exactly. The security issue regarding login validity is the first thing that comes to mind.

[color=#117F40
We've had a user try to port FeralHeart to the Unity engine, but apparently they encountered some "graphical" issue or something. Hasn't been explained well, and they've dropped the project. I've looked at tentatively trying to pick it up, but the link to the source code appears to be expired or removed, as it gives a 404 error.
Here is the thread, if you want to take a peek.
I think the issue was that you can't compile GPU shaders and send them to the GPU during runtime without the source code to Unity's engine itself. Ogre supports this, and I believe it's part of what the material scripts do, so 1:1 conversion won't be possible. It also could be related to markings, if the only way to multi-texture in unity is GPU shaders (I am not sure, I have never used Unity. ='3).

Another group of people have made a Tumblr dedicated to what they called "FeralHeart Redone", but were asked to stop the project by none other than KovuLKD himself, who provided a screenshot of the source code. It appears that while he isn't planning on updating the actual game, he does concern himself with shutting down remakes of it.
Again, you can find information about that right over here.
Though this may be true, there's some things I can't help but be bothered by here. I would actually trust a message via his facebook more than email, as SMTP (email) spoofing of the source is quite simple, and only one screenshot of code sure won't show much code, since code tends to just be made of many little parts that are often arranged in very similar ways to solve specific problems. it's kinda like me going around saying this (https://gyazo.com/3c62d516aff78befc1654f7665f0b1a3) is FH code (it isn't). One could take the benefit of the doubt, but I would not feel certain.

There also was a cloned source code (not the official one) of FeralHeart on KITO, posted by RedEye. I believe it was removed from the KITO forums and I don't know the official reason behind it, but the code still exists.
I believe Redeye said he felt somewhat responsible for the hack some Novembers ago as a result of releasing it and Kahara seeing it. That /was/ a post on there at some point, I guess that's gone too. :P

I have actually thought of this a bit recently. It would not be impossible to rewrite the whole thing with some degree of backwards compatibility in mind. Sure, you may need to re-export your assets, but beyond that, all you need is the right executable that can parse and use the game's data (Ogre does most of this already). The hardest part would be getting raknet to encode net data (and what is encoded, and as what structure). Of course, without the clear-and-verified-a-ok from KovuLKD, it's all a bit sketchy.

Sorry for only picking your post apart, but you had the most interesting one!

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 08:46:01 am »
I'm one of those weirdos that actually likes how easy it is to mod this game & add in user made stuff.   Not sure if other game engines, or a remake could ever have the user-friendly scope of changes available that this one does.  I think that's partly why it lasted as long as it has.
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"

Offline Skullfrost

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 29
    • @x_skulleh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2018, 04:27:22 am »
KovuLKD has since changed his stance on FH remakes and now doesn't care what people do with it. The programmer of the original FH Redone has been in contact with Kov since the project was asked to shut down and has been told it's fine to continue and was GOING to continue, however they kinda dropped off the face of the Earth. Other people have ALSO been in contact with Kov and been told remakes are fine. Plus, a bunch of people actually have the source code itself.

However...

We've got you covered.

;3

Offline Layanti

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • LayaVulpes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 11:35:23 am »
For me it would be be better to make a overhaull than a comeplete remake. Just updated textures, more items, patterns and species to choose and eventually better 3d models. Oh and of course better UI. Overall Feral Heart would benefit from that gaphical update. Still building a game from ground up and changing everything is not good idea, at least for me.

Offline Melon

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 35
  • God in their worst form.
    • jennfelde
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 10:17:03 am »
Yes.

This game is in desperate need of a entire revamp, and that's my opinion; you can disagree and I don't need to change mine.

But, from me reading the previous posts...

Who has the source code? If they have it, what could they do with it? Could they perhaps port the game and revamp it on another engine like Unity?
Attempting to get more active. Enjoy the day!

Cheers!

Offline BirdyBlu

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 17
  • `Snuggle Puddle`
    • Ally Nice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 10:23:07 am »
It has been 'remade' in my opinion, i think the game is fine how it is. What people don't understand is the amount of time it takes to totally remake a game, all the effort into new maps, textures etc. Nobody ever will be 100% happy with the game, its a fact of life. People will always dislike something about it, changing it every month won't help. We should like the game for what it is, for the effort the creators put into the maps in the recent update.
.: Birdy Blu is just for You! :.

Signature image by @Pocketmutt

Rhakorra

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2018, 02:43:33 pm »
I don't believe there should be should any modification with the game or Feral Heart. FeralHeart perfect as it is now. Be honest, just be reading the staff departure and Raz's explaining the situation, everyone did act a bit foolish or childish. Although I am entitled to my opinion, it bit a crazy scene for that week. I was shocked myself and had to investigate more by making this account. Either way, Feral Heart is still under a new patch...so you can say... it's being renewed in a sense?  I'm sure the staff got everything under control and trying ways to make us happy.

Yes.

This game is in desperate need of a entire revamp, and that's my opinion; you can disagree and I don't need to change mine.

But, from me reading the previous posts...

Who has the source code? If they have it, what could they do with it? Could they perhaps port the game and revamp it on another engine like Unity?

I believe its rumored or known the creator has it? Either way, they have it and not giving it up. And for our end, there's not much we can do.