Author Topic: New Names for Forum Ranks?  (Read 5867 times)

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
New Names for Forum Ranks?
« on: September 15, 2019, 09:08:38 pm »
 If you could rename any or all of the forum ranks, what would you name them? Would you add more?

Default Forum Rank Names

Experienced Member       
Dedicated Member         
Elder Member                 
Elite Member                 
Legendary Member 

Personally I don't hate the current names but always thought there isn't a clear "growth" concept in them. Like some of them make no sense in succession to each other. Ex: Elder to Elite ???

Should the names even go in order of growth or do any of you have more creative ideas? I'd love to see what some of your come up with :)

Offline Astraea

• ❤ Positivity ❤
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 186
  • previously esarosa
    • Esar0sa
    • View Profile
Re: New Names for Forum Ranks?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 09:50:35 pm »
I like this discussion, it hasn't been brought up before. They are a tad outdated but I think they do need some fixing in regards to the names and growth. These are my thoughts on it and I will try to fit the theme of the forum as I would love to.<3

Novice                    
Novice Member               
Experienced Member     
Devoted Member     
Committed Member                 
Elder Member               
Veteran Member               
Legendary Member

Edit: I also like the other options of having them be 'floofs' or something different and creative. I am not opposed to those ideas either. :>
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 11:37:05 pm by Esarosa »
not active here anymore ♡

Offline turtlies

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 61
  • loves to lurk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 10:02:41 pm »
ooh this is an interesting topic actually

I agree with the growth not being too clear. Ask me if Sr. Member or Experienced Member is a higher rank than the other and I'll have no clue. But I think they should be more 'cutesy' or applicable to FH stuff. I'm not too full of ideas on what that would exactly be, but more naturalistic or using FH 'in-jokes' like the word Floof. Not sure about other older jokes like "matebeggar" or "official simba", might get a lot of help threads about those ones lol

Could probably cut down on a few of the ranks, honestly. Or adjust them a bit--most forum members do tend to rack up a fair amount of posts, so I think the ranks could be more evenly spread out into the higher numbers instead of having 5 different ranks up to 250 posts. Doesn't give you much time to uhhh savour the rank name, if that makes any sense xP

Couple name ideas off the top of my head:
- Newbie could probably stay, that's a pretty general and easy to understand one.
- Frequent Floof, Ultimate Floof, Legendary Floof... Floof.
- Map-specific titles? Grounds Settler, Zama Grotto Spelunker, Ficho Tunnels Adventurer, Bonfire Islands Wanderer, etc... probably got some better descriptors than I do lol

he/him
bro what if i put my feralheart cave next to yours.. bro what if they only had one flattened bush mesh to lay on and we had to share... haha just kidding... unless...?

Offline Ellen11v

• Don't open, blue inside
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 276
  • Bye :)
    • Lousiem
    • EllenPlayz
    • View Profile
    • Global Moderator of an IT server
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 10:54:32 pm »
This is an interesting discussion Sura! I’ve also been thinking about how these default ranks sound, and to me I just find it boring and not creative that almost every single rank name ends with the word “member”. They would sound more special without that word, am I right?
So here are my ideas of how they could be replaced, and also in order:

Newbie = Plebe
Jr. Member = Floofie
Sr. Member = Champ
Experienced Member = Lieutenant
Dedicated Member = Dominant
Full Member = Expert
Elder Member = Veteran
Elite Member = Guru
Hero Member = Hotshot
Legendary Member = True Savior

Thoughts? :D My favorite one of mine is Veteran.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 10:57:26 pm by Ellen11v »
doing what i feel like

Offline A.P.S.

• Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 07:35:07 am »
Yeah, not only are they too hard to tell just how high up a rank is based on name alone, but there are way too many. I'd cut it in half more or less honestly.

Inside joke names would be cute too, I like the idea of using "Floofs" but I'm afraid of it causing confusion with the Floof-O-Meter.

Personally though, I think animal themed names would be cool, maybe even changing depending on the animal you assigned yourself in the profile? Or at least feline and canine based. Though I'm not sure how many ranks you could make out of it, you could go from "Cub" to "Pride Leader" perhaps? Or "Pup" to "Pack Leader" similarly.

I also like the idea of appearing as any rank lower than your current. Maybe someone just likes the idea of being called a certain rank name for personal reasons, or dislikes the name of their current rank. It's not always something the people making the names can help, it's just preference.

Sorry to not give much of a list, but rather backup what was said and give more indirect input. The animal age based rank names were the best I could come up with, and even then might fall short.

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 03:27:27 am »
A lot of neat ideas were brought up here but I know you can all come up with some more! Throw some more ideas in here! Be creative and have fun with the concept but still think Feral Heart.

It might be nice to consider some new rank names for when we finally update the site. So in the meantime I’ll be referring to this thread here. Keep them coming <3

Offline Morqque

• A Positive Nihilist
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 123
  • In the shadow of the light from a black sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 03:38:40 am »
If FeralHeart where to ever have a lore based around it, I would go with roles akin to
the lore.
But with personal choice Id go for fantasy based rankings/names. Im not creative lol

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 05:17:48 pm »
Personally I think the ranks should be as neutral as possible no matter the theme! Mainly because everyone who is on the forum contributes in a different way.

That's just my thought on it. It's just the main reason behind the ranks I came up with/chose.

This is what I have to contribute anyway. Each batch isn't all too different, more or less re-arranging ranks and playing with different words etc.

CURRENT

Experienced Member
Dedicated Member
Elder Member
Elite Member
Legendary Member
        BATCH ONE

Traveller
Explorer
Experienced Member
Sr. Experienced Member
Representative
Veteran Member
Sr. Veteran Member
Elite Member
Legendary Member

BATCH TWO

Traveller
Explorer
Experienced Member
Sr. Experienced Member
Elite Member
Legendary Member
Representative
Veteran Member
Sr. Veteran Member

BATCH THREE

Wanderer
Contributor
Experienced Member
Sr. Experienced Member
Elite Member
Legendary Member
Representative
Veteran Member
Sr. Veteran Member

BATCH FOUR

Wanderer
Traveller
Experienced Member
Sr. Experienced Member
Elite Member
Representative
Veteran Member
Sr. Veteran Member
Legendary Member

That's all I have for now. I personally favour Batch Four because it feels like the Legendary Member rank gives that nice 'final' stage on a Member's journey on the forum. If that makes sense. It generally finishes off the ranks really nicely. You have to be a Wanderer then a Traveller in order to cross over to the Experienced Tiers, and then you have to become an Elite Member then a Representative to then cross over to the Veteran Tiers to then eventually land yourself as a Legendary Member. I like the way it all flows.

The batch itself shows progression. Just by hitting the Experienced Tiers you are then already showing Dedication, making it kinda pointless to have a rank specifically named 'Dedicated Member'. You could even go the extra mile and use the ranks to limit events that are becoming a bit too easy for people to take advantage of, such as MotS. For example; "You may only nominate users with the 'Experienced Member' ranks or above." Additionally, this will set more of a challenge, and will even show Staff users who are dedicated and show the morale that is much needed in FH.

P.S. if we ever get the badges fixed again we should definitely have "earned ranks" badges.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 05:36:22 pm by Bawfle »

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 05:41:08 pm »
I like the concept of “growth or maturity” in relation to the names.

The bit you mentioned Bawfle with: Newbie, Wanderer, Traveller is sort of cute. “Wanderer” sounding like someone is still not sure of their surroundings and is finding their place still while “Traveller” feels like one who is becoming more confident and seasoned with their surroundings and is setting out further. Sort of makes me think of an idea of the heroes journey or one on a pilgrimage. Interesting suggestion and gives room for even more ideas.

@Morqque that’s another interesting idea. Made me think wouldn’t it be interesting if we could make the ranks more complex in a way where there’s two sets. Since FH is heavily roleplay story based and users characters are either heroes or villains in their own stories what if we had like a heroes journey set of ranks and a villains journey sort of ranks? If users could pick between either version of ranks that they’d like to have hmm. If there was a way to make it work it could be a fun concept too.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Keep them coming!

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 06:05:23 pm »
The thought of a light path and a dark path is interesting to me too; but maybe it doesn't have to show within the ranks themselves, but the stars/former paws we have that are presented under the rank. The stars/paws could represent either lightness or darkness for whichever path a user chooses on the forum. It could be a function that could be added to a user's profile that people could alternate back and forth from whenever they please? Mainly taking into consideration that username changes are a thing, and a lot of the time people on the forum theme/decorate their profile as their sonas, so these light/darkness 'themes' of the rank stars/former paws would most likely represent the character's trait which adds just a little more customisation? The lightness could be represented in white, while the darkness could be represented in an inky/tar colour of sorts. Just an idea.

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone