Author Topic: Character Limit  (Read 4960 times)

Offline EvilSock

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 28
    • View Profile
Character Limit
« on: July 20, 2012, 03:17:10 pm »
Because I like quality over quantity. I wanted to know if anyone else felt the same way. Those users on the forum that make simple, one-worded answers that give little to no contribution; e.g. "...", "Yes.", "No.", "Lol", "omgyumeanz?". It's a little annoying to watch, along with the fact it clogs up the forum with needless, random posts that I'm sure many do just to boost their post count.

It irks my stitches, yo. I've made this option on my forum, and I was wondering if it was also possible to integrate it into this one if it attracted enough attention.

Apologies if this had already been suggested.

Offline SilverTW

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 54
  • Inactive account
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
Re: Character Limit
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 03:44:41 pm »
Because I like quality over quantity. I wanted to know if anyone else felt the same way. Those users on the forum that make simple, one-worded answers that give little to no contribution; e.g. "...", "Yes.", "No.", "Lol", "omgyumeanz?". It's a little annoying to watch, along with the fact it clogs up the forum with needless, random posts that I'm sure many do just to boost their post count.

It irks my stitches, yo. I've made this option on my forum, and I was wondering if it was also possible to integrate it into this one if it attracted enough attention.

Apologies if this had already been suggested.

I don't think this has been suggested before. I do short answers sometimes because I can't really think of what else to add to it.

I don't think this is possible, with the way the forums was made & the coding this would take would not be possible.

This account is no longer in use, and any messages sent to here will not be read. If you need to reach me, head to https://softdiamond.net

Specialized in FeralHeart Maps,Presets,Objects,Mods,Markings,Textures and MORE.
Video Maker and more!

Offline EvilSock

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 04:05:51 pm »
@SilverTW: Then don't post unless you /can/ think of something to say. It's simple? S'just my two cents. As for the coding,

Unless you code the forum yourself, you cannot really just label it as 'impossible'. Am guessing this forum uses HTML, in which case, the prospect of this code working is very, very likely; as it is just a simple tweak. There is a character limit on signatures,  the avatar size was updated etc. Something like this is minuscule in comparison unless you have experience with this forumbase yourself.

Offline SilverTW

• Finest Floof
  • Inactive account
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 04:08:04 pm »
@SilverTW: Then don't post unless you /can/ think of something to say. It's simple? S'just my two cents. As for the coding,

Unless you code the forum yourself, you cannot really just label it as 'impossible'. Am guessing this forum uses HTML, in which case, the prospect of this code working is very, very likely; as it is just a simple tweak. There is a character limit on signatures,  the avatar size was updated etc. Something like this is minuscule in comparison unless you have experience with this forumbase yourself.

I never said it was impossible, I meant unlikely to be able to though. it does use css ,etc.

This account is no longer in use, and any messages sent to here will not be read. If you need to reach me, head to https://softdiamond.net

Specialized in FeralHeart Maps,Presets,Objects,Mods,Markings,Textures and MORE.
Video Maker and more!

Offline wolffox

• COOL MOM
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 188
  • icon by T0XIIIC, sig by Bawfle <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 08:47:30 pm »
From most viewpoints I think this is a good idea. One worded replies like "yup" or "ok" or "lol" get on my nerves a bit because they don't add to the thread itself in a constructive way, they just boost post counts etc.

However, then forum games such as "count to ___" or "get through ____ before a mod admin..." wouldn't work because people tend to only post one number/letter in those threads.

Most users tend to stick to longer, more elaborate posts so I think not having a character count is fine for now. And we'll just have to deal with the users who do post short replies. xD A good idea though. :3

Offline Haruki

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • "Better to be carried by six than tried by twelve"
    • View Profile
    • CatalinaPacks
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 09:39:06 pm »
Oh, at first I didn't understand what you meant by the title. Like a character minimum?

My experience is that there is always a way to get around filters and such. If I wanted a short post, I'd just put a space, period, space, period. And what about trying to just post a link? Would that even count as wording?

It is a creative idea and I like it. I'd like to eliminate the quick-posters just as much as anyone else. But sadly there is no ridding of them without hurting or restricting other members as well. Counter-intuitive if the minimum can be worked around anyway. :\

SoulRevenge

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 03:19:20 am »
This is a good idea, but as Wolffox said above, in Forum Games usually users tend to hardly really post anything.
Maybe it's possible to exclude the Forum Games Section? o3o

Offline Silvertide

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • Drawn by WhiteLightHeart, colored by me. <3
    • View Profile
    • The Siar Journey Reborn
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 02:57:55 am »
The short posters don't bother me much. ^^ It's not like I see short posts every second of the day or anything. The others have a point, though. Sometimes short posts are needed, and the like.

Offline Tessel.

• Finest Floof
  • and this time, we're gonna get funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 03:00:34 am »
From most viewpoints I think this is a good idea. One worded replies like "yup" or "ok" or "lol" get on my nerves a bit because they don't add to the thread itself in a constructive way, they just boost post counts etc.

However, then forum games such as "count to ___" or "get through ____ before a mod admin..." wouldn't work because people tend to only post one number/letter in those threads.

Most users tend to stick to longer, more elaborate posts so I think not having a character count is fine for now. And we'll just have to deal with the users who do post short replies. xD A good idea though. :3

As Wolffox said, one worded replies can be annoying. They give little to no detail at all. But for now its fine but they should maybe consider it later on

Siggy and avi by me. PM me if you need anything, friends.