Author Topic: RIP General  (Read 162060 times)

Offline razmirz

• The Janitor (Please contact other members of staff if necessary they will escalate issues to me)
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 301
  • Soul Nomming Goodness
    • View Profile
RIP General
« on: June 17, 2013, 07:39:49 pm »
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 11:14:00 am by Razmirz »
Please contact other members of staff if necessary they will escalate issues to me

Offline Delay

• yeah but Red took me to Prom
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 128
    • delayni
    • annoyingdelay
    • View Profile
    • Delayni on DeviantART
Re: RIP General
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 07:54:55 pm »
Before anyone goes on about how this is unfair or unnecessary, please be a bit more open minded and considerate towards your fellow members as well as your staff team.

The primary use of General chat is to be able to roleplay without having to concern yourselves and your roleplay group with the confines of the local area limit. Since General can be read as one from any point in the map, it's good to be able to see what everyone is saying from any point. However, given that it's initially best for roleplay, that would tend to render it useless in public maps, as roleplay is not permitted in public maps in General, is it not?

I personally think this is a wonderful choice for a few reasons, along with what I stated above. Being limited to local chat only would encourage users to be more social throughout the game and encourage them to do more than just sit in one place and spout any sort of chat within General and just pick up any conversations that they can join. It helps give users something to do while being a lot more interactive all the while. It can give the feeling of being more "involved" with the game and community. Almost more "realistic" if you want to put it in a cheesy way.

The random bouts of conversation, most of which would turn up unnecessary, sometimes hurtful and upsetting, and just plain annoying, that would spam everywhere in General chat were significant enough for us to want to make a change. Most users can probably use the excuse, "just turn off General chat using the ingame check box, problem solved". While that, yes, is always a solution, it isn't always preferred. Some users could be wanting to advertise through General chat or look for advertisements in order to join roleplays. Having users tell them to just leave General chat would never really be considered a win-win solution.

Yes, having General chat gone can rid of the most effective method of advertising in the game, but it also introduces so many more key points that can no doubt be adjusted in due time. However keeping General, while some of us may have thought it to, also, adjust in due time, did not happen. It just would get worse.

I hope you guys understand the reasoning behind removing General chat and I look forward to any feedback.

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 08:14:45 pm »
Aye, thank you for the update, Raz and Del. c:

I also wanted to add that General chat still works normally for roleplays and such in private maps.
While this'll be something interesting to get used to, it does feel a bit cozier in the maps, in a way. We'll see how it goes, but either way it'll be nice to have a break from General trolling, in my opinion. c:>
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 08:18:39 pm by WhiteLightHeart »
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

Offline Player927

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
  • TattooPelt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 08:16:19 pm »
This is probably a stupid question and a bit late since General is gone... but, rather than remove General completely, would it have been possible to make it so you started with General unticked and had to manually turn it on? I know that's the same logic as "Just turn it off" but, if only a minority are needing to turn it on, rather than the majority turning it off, that would have a similar effect? Advertisers could still do their thing but, if you weren't looking for a group, you would never have to turn it on.

I rarely used General myself and I think what was done will likely work out for the best. I'm just suggesting a possible compromise for the hordes that will descend with hate.

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 08:16:43 pm »
Well I can see a major plus side to this such as the points Delay made but I have some concerns when it comes to the RPers not being able to advertise to the masses in gen anymore. Removing the general chat seems a major killing point especially since this game's genre is focused although not solely but mainly on RP. It's bad enough that it's hard to find good RPs or get users to join your own these days. Sure RP groups can continue advertising by using the movie clips but it's not the same as simply reading an RP ad scrolling through Gen. If a user was looking to join an RP they'd have to now click the movie clips and it's like a random chance you'll see a movie clip that is advertising an RP they'd be interested in yet alone advertising a RP in general. Let's also not forget how fast the chats stream by... It was hard enough trying to read the ads in General chat but now imagine trying to clicking a one line movie clip in a speeding chat in a crowded map like Bonfire Island.

Another issue is advertising at landmarks as Raz suggested. There are already alot of users that bunch up at common land marks like the Stone Bridge & the Cape Portal... Imagine now how many additional individuals & groups will gather at these areas without Gen chat now. These users will now crowd and fuss over advertisement spots... Sure removing Gen kills a host of issues but now pop up a whole new bit of them.

It will be interesting to see how removing the general chat impacts the community but I don't think it's the best idea right now, however you have my support regardless. Sometimes changes are hard to accept at first but eventually we learn to live with them so I'm up for the test. Hopefully the rest of the community will be just as patient & understanding during this time. Positive constructive feedback is much appreciate & thank you both Delay & Raz for the update.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 08:23:40 pm by LordSuragaha »

Offline Forbid

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • The chosen one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 08:18:59 pm »
Well, I'm quite shocked to hear this, since general was one of my favorite chats. But I understand your reasoning. At least the game will have less drama, and maybe less spam to.
"Be strong." I whispered to my wifi signal.

Offline femalecreature

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
  • it is i the official eggplant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 08:38:53 pm »
There may be some upsides. 8ut what about downsides? Players will definitely find it harder, as Sura said. I didn't see much of a problem with General. And advertising with video clips is harder than General. Quoting Sura yet again, clicking a small line instead of a short paragraph is much harder. Finding RPs that suit you are FAAAR harder now, as well! You have to click through every. Single. Movie. Every single movie, to find an RP that suits you, or your character! "Hm, okay... -click click click click- I don't see anything..." is what it's like. Plus, advertising with movies gives a whole new option to let trolls movie spam. I'm sorry if I'm sounding rude, but really, it's getting sort of annoying. Going to SB lags it. Making movies causes lack of members. And besides, I didn't see any problem with General at all. I don't see any point in it being down, causing it to be harder for other players to advertise their groups...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 03:07:32 pm by 8lue »
egg me up inside (can't egg up)

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 08:48:20 pm »
It's completely understood about the spam, though advertisements will be shorter with movie clips, I don't mind it. People can whisper leaders for details on it really, so the General Chat removal is fine in my opinion. But I have a question.
Will this be for private maps only, or for downloadable maps only?
I understand that there has been odd conversations and such in General, and I guess it did need to die down quite a lot.
I've seen people saying "hey, what happened to general chat?" in movie clips.
I am a bit shocked to hear this, but I've read some of the moderator's comments, especially Suragaha's, and I think it makes sense now.
If movie clips got longer then it'd be cool... just saying. But thanks for the update still.
There's ups and downs as Blue said to this, I'm sure. But probably a good thing in my opinion.

Offline BoxEater

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Hey Babies. c:
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 09:25:56 pm »
Well, I guess taking off general wouldn't be a bad idea...But what I am worried about is will people start leaving FH because of this? Some people just get on for the general chat. Its going to take a lot of getting used to. Movie makers works perfectly fine if you don't spam it. But I had no problem with the other people talking in the general chat along with the ads, a lot of other people didn't really have a problem with it either. Its just easier to get members in your packs and stuff. Also...FH is becoming a little dead and not as many members as it used to. Could we start opening the registration a little more so FH can become a little more alive?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:34:00 pm by BoxEater »

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 09:51:23 pm »
Awww so sad to see General chat go :'(  I would often times go on general chat just to see what everyone is talking about and to see what kind of roleplays are out there.
The reasons general chat was removed is completely understandable though. There have been times where unnecesary/hurtful/hateful topics were discussed on there. Or the fact that people would just go on there to troll around and spam it with unnecesary posts. I suppose it's for the best. However, I am going to miss listening in on some funny/random chats people would come up with. Having no general chat is something I will have to get used to....
R.I.P General, may you rest in peace.  :'(
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:55:31 pm by Lady_Alizarin »
Inactive