Author Topic: RIP General  (Read 163150 times)

Offline morallydefunct

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • Brother.
    • View Profile
Re: RIP General
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 12:41:22 am »
This is like a giant punch in the face.

I see no point in staying or really running around in-game anymore. I enjoyed talking to people in General, and I don't know where I'd be without it. Sure there were rude and immature kids and people in General, but there were other ways of dealing with them. Banning them, kicking them, or adding an age limit. I don't know, but there were other routes you could've taken, so I think this is a bad move. I might as well just leave, and if FH gets better [Which I'm starting to doubt] I might return.

If this is permanent [Which I hope it isn't] I'll probably just leave until FH changes, because I've been patience to see major issues fixed and instead, I feel as though everything's falling apart.

What Smiling.Sin said, I think this is a bad move, Feralheart.
Why take off something that was good? General being spammed could be fixed with one easy solution-- kick or ban the person. Is that too hard?

Fixing something that wasn't broken leads to bad things-- at least that's what I've seen and learned.

With General chat being removed, I don't think this is headed somewhere good. We all have known General like the back of our hands and now, it's being removed from public maps?

General chat may be still around in private maps, but it still makes a huge affect on the game.

Hope it isn't permanent. Lately, I've seen a small decline in members and I'm really sure General chat being removed is going to remove some more players-- as General is important to all members.

I'm glad to see that Feralheart has made a little update; General being shut off.
I'm not glad that it's General being shut off that's the 'new' update for the game.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 12:42:57 am by PieStar »

>mfw i see internet arguments

Offline PotatoPotPie

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • PPP
    • ImmaDerp
    • xerceus // teenagedtravesty
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 12:45:17 am »
I'm greatly disappointed.

General was one of the only reasons I even got on anymore. You know to catch up on some news, what's going on and stuff. New RP's, interesting RP's, fun ideas, ALL could be shared on General with open criticism. Now the only things to use are movie, which I hate using. People are already posting 4 and 5 movies at a time, which in my opinion is getting hard to keep track of certain ones. Some of the general uses are posting about General, how much they miss it and want it to come back.

Honestly, I really miss General, some of my friends that are WAY across FH use it and I use it to communicate to them.

If this is permanent, I am leaving and probably will never come back. I see no more reasons to go on FH anymore.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm whining, but I'm trying really hard not to.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 12:47:49 am by PotatoPotPie »
'Cause you're the last of a dying breed
Write our names in the wet concrete
I wonder if your therapist knows everything about me

Offline ToxicInferno

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 01:27:17 am »
Alright,right now i am just stating my opinion. I think that there should have been a pole(if there was one,i hadn't seen it . .)  And that the majority would win. To me general is a big part of the game,and that it really helps when there is general. Not only is it good for advertising,it is also good for catching up on news,and such other things. Yes,it can get bothersome, but maybe other people wouldn't like to be spammed with movie clips when you are trying to at least role play in local or party. Yeah i understand you could always turn the movie clips off,but that would get annoying to have to do that EVERY time you get online. Basically, what i am trying to say here is have it be like a 5 second until your next post or have an error popping up saying that you need to post more then 5 characters. To me it would just make a whole lot more seance so general isn't spammed with two letter messages,one letter messages,etc.  Well,this is just my opinion so don't take it offensively. Thanks!    Peace  ;)

Offline Woofley

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 01:32:42 am »
At this point, I think this is the worst thing you could've done for FH right now.

Sure, there might be some benefits, but I can see WAY more reasons to keep gen than not. I remember when I first joined, I was really shy and I don't think I would've ever talked to anyone if it weren't for gen. Like, for me, it'd be much more scary to actually walk up to a select group of strangers than to post in a chat where everyone can post.

And movie advertising. Ugh. All I saw when I logged on today in FP was movies everywhere, the chat was going super fast. If someone started movie spamming, all the rps would get pushed out of the chat and people would have to wait until that person stopped or got kicked until they could actually start looking for a rp again! It's just.. super inconvenient, as others have said. ALSO, there's a glitch where you can't see movies, so then, again, you wouldn't be able to join ANY rps. (guess you could go to bonfire island as a last resort?)

Pretty much everything else has already been said. Sorry to be rude, but I completely disagree with this and I hope this change isn't permanent. I guess we'll be able to get used to it, but it'll take a while and lots of people are already threatening to quit. FeralHeart is already inactive enough, it doesn't need another push in that direction. Sorry.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 01:57:39 am by Woofley »

Offline Silvertide

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • Drawn by WhiteLightHeart, colored by me. <3
    • View Profile
    • The Siar Journey Reborn
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 01:35:56 am »
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 01:39:30 am by Silvertide »

Offline LiesUnderOath

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
  • Accidentially intentional.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 01:49:05 am »
So after going online to see the new changes and to see if I could get used to them, I come back now to say:
No. I'm not fond of them.

The maps are too quiet without General users rambling off about something or another, and as long as they weren't spamming or arguing, what was wrong with a little rowdy conversation every so often? Those who went over them line ether had the option of realizing their mistake and apologizing, or being kicked or banned.
I'm already seeing problems with this. Not everyone can activate others' movies (unless that's just me), so no mater how much a group spams the chat with a short video-ad, they may lose players who might've been interested in joining their RP. Add to that the fact that Cape and Stone Bridge are overcrowded as is. Just how many users can the game tolerate in one place, before every map lags like Bonfire, with every user crowded into one small space looking for a group?
Not everyone uses private maps to hang out in with their friends. Quite a few actually like to use the public General chat to converse with their friends, which also giving others the option of joining in (thus, making new friends). And again, as long as the conversation isn't too random or hurtful, what's wrong with that?

I hope you reconsider removing General chat. The game will be weird without it. I suppose I can try "being open-minded and giving it another chance", but I don't think my opinion will change much after. For now though, I guess I better prepare my "E" key for speed-run spam, as I look for an RP.

Offline Crin

• The Silver-Tongue
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 113
  • The Illuminati Pedro Hat
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2013, 01:58:55 am »
In terms of the RP thing, I just want to point something out as a FH member, not a staff member.

Today a RP group I am in - a literate, mapped, realistic group that people seem to keep saying will never work right again because of no general chat - went out to recruit today, and we got more members that met our standards than we ever did.

Why? Because it forces people to socialize and ask questions. Maybe our RP might not seem too appeasing when you type it in general chat, but if you walk past the group and as what it's about, people take interest in things they would've passed off before. It forces people to get out and notice things they might not have before.

I understand everyone has their opinions, and in regards to some of the advertising issues, this is what I've experienced on day one. I really do encourage people to try and keep an open mind about this.
Resigned, quit, and basically long gone.

P R I D E <3

Sir Equius

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2013, 02:07:58 am »
In terms of the RP thing, I just want to point something out as a FH member, not a staff member.

Today a RP group I am in - a literate, mapped, realistic group that people seem to keep saying will never work right again because of no general chat - went out to recruit today, and we got more members that met our standards than we ever did.

Why? Because it forces people to socialize and ask questions. Maybe our RP might not seem too appeasing when you type it in general chat, but if you walk past the group and as what it's about, people take interest in things they would've passed off before. It forces people to get out and notice things they might not have before.

I understand everyone has their opinions, and in regards to some of the advertising issues, this is what I've experienced on day one. I really do encourage people to try and keep an open mind about this.

D--> You actually have a good point, Crin. Now that you mention it, Stone Bridge was more flooded with players than ever before. With all the players flocking to stone bridge to find their ideal RP to join, there was alot of chit-chat and sociallizing in that crowd. It was the same near the N/Z and the Cape.
Also, when I went to roleplay with a cat clan, there were a bunch of people outside the RP that would come to us, seeking to join in and roleplay with us.
D--> So maybe, just maybe, this theory of players becoming more social is true.
  8)

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2013, 02:17:17 am »
I honestly view this to be a rather good thing for the FeralHeart community. I've known for a while how irritating it can be for the MODs and players like myself to stroll in literally any public map to be victimized by the spam that never ends in the General Chat. When it's one of those rare, quiet moments in General, the spam only starts right back up when a member says, "Did General die?" or something along those lines.
Like Crin has stated, a roleplay I am in has actually gotten more members than they ever had before. That makes me happy and believe that this 'removing General' is actually a good thing. Yes, it'll take a while for me to get used to it, though I'm sure I, as well as you all, can adapt.
I'm pretty sure the one thing that makes me the most happy is the outcome of members having to become more interactive and socialize more with the other members of FeralHeart rather than sitting in an isolated area and merely treating General as one big Local Chat. Which, in my honest opinion, is annoying.
I'm sure, within' my post, others have already stated before me though the simply fact is, I am happy you've made this change Raz.
gone

Offline Bloodcry

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Herpa-Derpa
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2013, 02:27:15 am »
First of all, I'd like to disclose that I in no way intent this post to be whiny or rude if it may sound like such.

I do not agree with the decision to completely remove General from public maps without consent of the Feral-Heart community beforehand. As stated, many people use general to have open conversations with others across the map. They can meet a person in general, and maybe decide to go hang out with them and roleplay or just chat in local. However without General that becomes much more difficult. Especially in big maps like Flourite and South Pole, the chances of coming across a random person who you have something in common with or could become friends with isn't very high. With General chat it gives players a much more open way to find people to become friends with.
Another thing is roleplay advertisements. Without General people are going to start crowding around landmarks in masses looking for roleplays, and this will without a doubt cause severe lag just like in Bonfire. I for one hope this doesn't happen, because Feral-Heart already lags sometimes as is and with masses of people on top of one spot it wont ever lessen. Also this causes an issue of space in those landmark areas, often recruiting roleplays will have their new members group around them, but they try to keep themselves seperate from other groups also there. The more groups, the more members, the more people, the less space. It'll undoubtedly cause fights over space.
Movie advertisements are bad. There's not enough room to post everything you might like, and from the chat you cannot see what the movie will be about. Perhaps if you could title movies rather than just publishing them under your username it'd be different but... That doesn't stop the fact that there is now tons of movie spam throughout maps where people are trying to advertise. Which I also find an issue because, I personally cannot use movies as a means of finding advertisements. If I click on a movie to view it, it comes up as "Cannot find move {Random Number}." so I cannot even watch movies. How then am I supposed to find an advertisement for a roleplay? I realize you could always run around the map looking... But what if I want a mapped roleplay? Do you recognize the problem here? And one last thing:

While it's true that people gathering to find roleplays will be more social, it also has a major con that I found out in the last two days. I'm in a literate, mapped warrior cat roleplay. So like most others I headed out to sit by Cape Portal and advertise, without General you have to use the movie and local chat means of advertising... But by the time I got out to advertise several other clan leaders were out for their roleplays. One had several cats around him, and the other couple of leaders had next to none. I sat out for about 20 minutes but all the cats who came by went straight to the leader with the most cats around him. Why? Because their roleplay appears the most active. With General you could gain members from far away  by luring them in with plots and other such things. In local or movies people tend to pick the roleplay that has the appearance of the most activity. When in reality most of those people had just joined and might not actually end up being active. We had to call everyone from the map to stop roleplaying and come out to Flourite to sit around us while we advertised, and even then we only got two new members. It's really not an effective way to advertise. Especially since our roleplay is trying to bulk up on members for an upcoming war in our plot.